Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls

Go down 
+10
Krissy
Kristina
LHOTPfan2000
Savannah
JW
emilyanneoftheprairie
Prairie Dweller
jes9
ChristinaAL
bethandmanly
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 Bokmal10

Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls   Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 3:47 pm

I didn't read it, but someone reviewed it and allowed me to post that review on my blog. You can find it at http://lauralittlehouseontheprairie.blogspot.com/2008/07/nellie-oleson-meets-laura-ingalls-by.html

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7863

PostSubject: Re: Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls   Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 3:05 pm

I finally got this book from the library, and so far it is interesting. I thought it would be based off the Nellie of the TV series, but it isn't. In the book, Nellie's real name is Danielle Oleson (so I guess Nellie is a nickname) and her parents are William and Margaret. But, she calls Laura and Mary 'country girls' on their first day at school, just like in the show.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls   Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 11:38 am

I'd never heard of it.   Sounds very interesting
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls   Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 12:16 pm

The true Nellie Oleson was made from Laura's combination of 3 girls from school.  The girls were Nellie Owen, Genevieve Masters, and Stella Gilbert.  I think this story is a combination of Laura's real life and the TV show life of Laura.... scratchead

From the Frontier Girl site:  
Nellie Oleson

"Nellie Oleson

Nellie Oleson is Laura's rival, and is a character in On the Banks of Plum Creek, Little Town on the Prairie, and These Happy Golden Years. The character of Nellie Oleson is actually three different girls combined into one.
Nellie Owens was a year younger than Laura, and had a younger brother named Willie, just as the character of Nellie did in the books. Her parents, William and Margaret Owens, did run a local mercantile in Walnut Grove. Nellie is the primary basis for Nellie Oleson in On the Banks of Plum Creek.

Genevieve Masters was the spoiled daughter of Laura's teacher in Walnut Grove. Genny wore pretty clothes, and had beautiful golden ringlets, just as "Nellie Oleson" did. Nellie Owens and Genny Masters were in a constant battle to rule the playground, and all the younger girls were forced to take sides. Laura, however, refused and soon became the leader of them all.

Genny's family moved to De Smet not long after the Ingalls family, but the Owens family did not. Therefore, the Nellie of Little Town on the Prairie is mainly Genny Masters.

The third girl making up the character of Nellie Oleson was Stella Gilbert, a poor girl who lived on a claim near De Smet. Though poor, she was beautiful, and she had her eye on Almanzo. She did manage to beguile him into taking her on several buggy rides with him, told of in These Happy Golden Years, but when Almanzo was made aware of her shallowness, the rides stopped.

Not much is known about what happened to Genny and Stella in later life; Laura herself was uncertain. Nellie Owens moved to California, and then on to Oregon, where she married Henry Kirry and had three children, Zola, Lloyd, and Leslie. Her brother Willie went blind from a firecracker explosion, attended a school for the blind, married, and also had three children. Laura wrote to some fans that Nellie moved to Louisiana, and to others that she returned to New York. It is possible that she was referring to Genny Masters and Stella Gilbert in these letters."

Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 Rhonda10Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls   Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 2:37 pm

Thumbsup

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7863

PostSubject: Re: Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls   Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 3:58 pm

very interesting- thank you for sharing that Rhonda! I think I knew that there was never really a 'real' Nellie Oleson, that she was based off of someone, but I didn't know that much about the subject.

I guess the three girls that were combined to make up the Nellie Oleson of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books are proof of the saying that says you should tend to watch yourself around a writer or else you could wind up as a bad guy in their books Whistle
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls   Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 6:09 pm

I had no idea Either.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

PostSubject: Re: Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls   Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks for that Rhonda.......Interesting reading......

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls   Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 9:03 pm

Just shows you the imagination of LIW. She truly was a creative writer and knew how to keep a child's interest in telling a story.

Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls   Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 9:19 pm

Yeah Nellie olsen seemed more mean in the show then the books

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls   Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2017 9:28 pm

Rhonda wrote:
The true Nellie Oleson was made from Laura's combination of 3 girls from school.  The girls were Nellie Owen, Genevieve Masters, and Stella Gilbert.  I think this story is a combination of Laura's real life and the TV show life of Laura.... scratchead

From the Frontier Girl site:  
Nellie Oleson

"Nellie Oleson

Nellie Oleson is Laura's rival, and is a character in On the Banks of Plum Creek, Little Town on the Prairie, and These Happy Golden Years. The character of Nellie Oleson is actually three different girls combined into one.
Nellie Owens was a year younger than Laura, and had a younger brother named Willie, just as the character of Nellie did in the books. Her parents, William and Margaret Owens, did run a local mercantile in Walnut Grove. Nellie is the primary basis for Nellie Oleson in On the Banks of Plum Creek.

Genevieve Masters was the spoiled daughter of Laura's teacher in Walnut Grove. Genny wore pretty clothes, and had beautiful golden ringlets, just as "Nellie Oleson" did. Nellie Owens and Genny Masters were in a constant battle to rule the playground, and all the younger girls were forced to take sides. Laura, however, refused and soon became the leader of them all.

Genny's family moved to De Smet not long after the Ingalls family, but the Owens family did not. Therefore, the Nellie of Little Town on the Prairie is mainly Genny Masters.

The third girl making up the character of Nellie Oleson was Stella Gilbert, a poor girl who lived on a claim near De Smet. Though poor, she was beautiful, and she had her eye on Almanzo. She did manage to beguile him into taking her on several buggy rides with him, told of in These Happy Golden Years, but when Almanzo was made aware of her shallowness, the rides stopped.

Not much is known about what happened to Genny and Stella in later life; Laura herself was uncertain. Nellie Owens moved to California, and then on to Oregon, where she married Henry Kirry and had three children, Zola, Lloyd, and Leslie. Her brother Willie went blind from a firecracker explosion, attended a school for the blind, married, and also had three children. Laura wrote to some fans that Nellie moved to Louisiana, and to others that she returned to New York. It is possible that she was referring to Genny Masters and Stella Gilbert in these letters."

I found this neat picture of the REAL Owens' Family, Willie, Nellie and their father, William. This Nellie is 1/3 of the trio of girls that is mentioned in the above quote that made up the Nellie Oleson in the LIW books.

Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 Liw610

Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 Rhonda10Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 MatthewRank
LauraIngallsfan

Number of posts : 9265
Mood : Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls   Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2017 7:17 am

Very interesting, Ronda! I have never seen that photo before.

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”  - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 Laurai10
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/mylittlehouselibrary/
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls   Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 19, 2017 2:27 pm

I don't think I've ever seen it either. Thanks for posting.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls   Laura - Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2