Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Best Sweet Potato Casserole

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21159
Mood : The Best Sweet Potato Casserole Purple2

The Best Sweet Potato Casserole Empty
PostSubject: The Best Sweet Potato Casserole   The Best Sweet Potato Casserole EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 2:35 pm

The Best Sweet Potato Casserole Sweet+potato+casserole

The Best Sweet Potato Casserole by Baked in Arizona

Ingredients:

3 1/2 to 4 cups sweet potatoes, mashed
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup buttermilk*
1/2 cup butter, melted

For the topping:
1/3 cup flour
1 cup pecans, chopped
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar, packed

Directions:
Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees. Grease a casserole dish (about 2 1/2 quart size)

Combine the sweet potatoes, sugar, eggs, vanilla, buttermilk and butter in a medium bowl using an electric mixer or by hand.
Pour into your casserole dish.
Bake at for 25-30 minutes. (Or if you want to make this dish ahead of time, cover and store in the fridge for up to 2 days. Take it out and bake uncovered.)
While it is baking, make the topping. Combine the flour, pecans, butter and brown sugar in a small bowl. When the casserole is done baking remove from oven and sprinkle topping over the top. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.  You want a lightly browned, crunchy top.
Let it sit for about 30 minutes before serving.

Notes: *Milk will work if you don't have buttermilk. I bake my potatoes in the oven. Wash, dry and pierce with a fork. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 30-45 min at 375 degrees or until it passes a fork test. Let them cool, then peel the skin off or cut open and scrape out the insides. You could also use canned yams if you were pressed for time. I use salted butter, if you prefer unsalted, add a 1/2 tsp. salt to the potato mixture.

UPDATE 11-11-14: I recently made this for a pre-Thanksgiving dinner. I added a little more sweet potatoes (probably a 1/2 cup. A total of 4 medium sized) I didn't adjust the recipe other than that, but I baked in a 13x9" pan and it worked great! It was a for a large sized group so I wanted it to go farther and there wasn't a bit leftover :) It makes the crust not as thick but nobody seamed to mind.

The Best Sweet Potato Casserole Rhonda10The Best Sweet Potato Casserole Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down

The Best Sweet Potato Casserole
Page 1 of 1