Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lincoln anniversary

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62609
Mood : Lincoln anniversary Goodsi10

Lincoln anniversary Empty
PostSubject: Lincoln anniversary   Lincoln anniversary EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 9:46 am

Yesterday marked the 150th anniversary of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln.  

Here's a fascinating moment on the game show I've Got a Secret in 1956.

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Lincoln anniversary Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54425
Mood : Lincoln anniversary Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln anniversary   Lincoln anniversary EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 4:35 pm

thud

That is just SO cool. I'd seen that before - I think you were the one who shared it with us then, too. But I'd forgotten all about it! SO fascinating to see a living human being, on video, who was there the night that Lincoln was shot!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln anniversary   Lincoln anniversary EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 4:58 pm

My mom reminded me that my great grandma was a contestant on I've Got a Secret. I'd forgotten!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62609
Mood : Lincoln anniversary Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln anniversary   Lincoln anniversary EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 9:04 pm

Oh, cool!  What was her secret?

And yes, I remember posting this clip a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln anniversary   Lincoln anniversary EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 12:53 pm

I can't remember *exactly*. It had to do with sevens: She was one of seven siblings, she had seven children, and there were five other "sevens" in her life.
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : Lincoln anniversary Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln anniversary   Lincoln anniversary EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 3:07 pm

I love this video.  I have watched it a few times.  I always think it is somewhat sad (don't ask me why that is - I don't have a reason) that his concern was for JWB.  I guess it is just the idea of this little boy not realizing what was happening and that is what he was worried about.

I always think the audience gives it away by their reaction to his secret.  And then when you figure out his age, I think they have it right away.  I figure that they try to drag it out as long as they can.

I was there last week for the 150th anniversary of it.  And you know, it was so strange to be there inside that theater at the EXACT moment that it happened.  I was able to get tickets to the show honoring Lincoln that was on the 14th.  There was something surreal about it, I guess.  But it was all so terribly, terribly sad.  It really was.  It was just depressing.

Here are some videos of what I experienced:
http://www.c-span.org/video/?325069-1/fords-theatre-lincoln-assassination-150th-anniversary
AND
http://www.c-span.org/video/?325070-1/fords-theatre-lincoln-assassination-150th-anniversary

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln anniversary   Lincoln anniversary Empty

Back to top Go down

Lincoln anniversary
Page 1 of 1