Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

But...It Worked so WELL in the Book!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
CoriSCapnSkip
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 37

But...It Worked so WELL in the Book! Empty
PostSubject: But...It Worked so WELL in the Book!   But...It Worked so WELL in the Book! EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 5:25 am

Have you ever tried something you read about in a book and if so, how did it work for you?  I have read many books and have many examples!

First up:  in honor of the series Little House on the Prairie premiering the week of my 13th birthday (my actual birthday, notwithstanding dates I may have given in different places online) my mom got carried away and arranged a whole party on a Little House theme.  The cake had a tiny farm scene, the place settings were in a patchwork pioneer pattern.  The coup de grace was to be a live fiddler, but as his A string was broken the coup de grace had to be lemonade in a tin cup.  Mom was so impressed by Laura's description of how good lemonade in a tin cup was she went out of her way to round up enough tin cups for all the guests.

Keep in mind, I had spent two summers at my grandparents' rustic farm and thought the well water there was the worst thing I ever drank.  It tasted of rust, bugs, dank stones, and other things which should never be drunk.  Well, that water was the nectar of the gods compared to lemonade in a tin cup!  The acid in the lemons caused a vile substance to leech out of the metal, gagging all my friends!  We had to quickly switch to cups of other substances or choke!  The best part was, I got a picture of a friend's expression on taking a sip.  She was upset, but it was a really funny picture!

So, the question was, had either lemonade or tin cups changed substantially enough in 100 years to account for such a difference?  Could it be a matter of, like the accusation leveled at Julia Child, "The b***h lied"?  Or was Laura truly the product of such a deprived upbringing she actually thought such dreck was good?
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : But...It Worked so WELL in the Book! Headac10

But...It Worked so WELL in the Book! Empty
PostSubject: Re: But...It Worked so WELL in the Book!   But...It Worked so WELL in the Book! EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 7:55 pm

That's very nice!!!

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down

But...It Worked so WELL in the Book!
Page 1 of 1