HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log in  

Share | 

Jack the Dog

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Charlie Ingalls
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 18

PostSubject: Jack the Dog   Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:08 am

What type of dog was Jack?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor

Number of posts : 20175
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Jack the Dog   Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:21 pm

Jack the dog in Laura's books was a brindle bulldog that most of the pioneers had for protection. Jack on the TV series was a shaggy mix.  Below is a portion of an interview between The Cottonwood Tree and Sharon Lewis Evans, the animal trainer on LHOTP.
Full Article Here

"TCT: Why was Jack on the TV show not a brindle bulldog, like Laura Ingalls Wilder described in her books?

SE: I never heard it directly from Michael – because I didn’t ask him. But having been in the business for so long and knowing Michael so well – I am almost certain about the reason. You see, a brindle bulldog would not have had the “cute” look that I think Michael wanted. He was all about pulling at people’s heartstrings. It was always his intention to give the show that homey feel. This meant that Jack needed to be cute and soft and friendly looking – and I suspect this is why a shaggy dog was selected in preference to a bulldog. It was simply a friendlier look and feel. He wanted viewers to fall in love with the dog – and they did! The shaggy dog was also very popular in those days. A few TV shows of that era used them, including, “The Partridge Family” (Simone the dog) and “My Three Sons” (Tramp the dog). I worked with both Tramp and Simone on those shows."

Jack the dog from the TV series.....................Jack the bulldog from LIW books

CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2017-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Jack the Dog
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1