Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Jack the Dog

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Charlie Ingalls
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Charlie Ingalls

Number of posts : 23

Jack the Dog Empty
PostSubject: Jack the Dog   Jack the Dog EmptyTue Apr 11, 2017 10:08 am

What type of dog was Jack?
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21164
Mood : Jack the Dog Purple2

Jack the Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jack the Dog   Jack the Dog EmptyTue Apr 11, 2017 1:21 pm

Jack the dog in Laura's books was a brindle bulldog that most of the pioneers had for protection. Jack on the TV series was a shaggy mix.  Below is a portion of an interview between The Cottonwood Tree and Sharon Lewis Evans, the animal trainer on LHOTP.
Full Article Here

"TCT: Why was Jack on the TV show not a brindle bulldog, like Laura Ingalls Wilder described in her books?

SE: I never heard it directly from Michael – because I didn’t ask him. But having been in the business for so long and knowing Michael so well – I am almost certain about the reason. You see, a brindle bulldog would not have had the “cute” look that I think Michael wanted. He was all about pulling at people’s heartstrings. It was always his intention to give the show that homey feel. This meant that Jack needed to be cute and soft and friendly looking – and I suspect this is why a shaggy dog was selected in preference to a bulldog. It was simply a friendlier look and feel. He wanted viewers to fall in love with the dog – and they did! The shaggy dog was also very popular in those days. A few TV shows of that era used them, including, “The Partridge Family” (Simone the dog) and “My Three Sons” (Tramp the dog). I worked with both Tramp and Simone on those shows."

Jack the dog from the TV series.....................Jack the bulldog from LIW books

Jack the Dog Jack11  .............Jack the Dog Jack210

Jack the Dog Rhonda10Jack the Dog Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down

Jack the Dog
Page 1 of 1