HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log in  

Share | 

Reflections

Go down 
AuthorMessage
whitelighter
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 68

PostSubject: Reflections   Mon May 28, 2018 12:46 am

Almanzo sat out in front of the small wood frame house. Behind him, the evening sun reflected off the windows. He plucked at his guitar; not really playing any particular tune. He appeared lost in thought.

“Well, I got Rose all tucked in for the night,” said Laura, appearing at the doorway.
Almanzo looked up and nodded, but didn’t say anything. Sensing that something was on his mind, Laura sat down beside him.
“You’re looking forward to seeing Royal again, aren’t you?” she said.
Again, Almanzo just nodded.
“Manly, I was just thinking,” Laura began, “you said earlier today that it’d been ten years since you saw Royal. But remember, he and Millie were here two years ago, when Myron and Rupert came to visit us.”
Almanzo gave a sort of half laugh. “You know, Beth, you’re right. I was forgetting about that. I guess I had sort of repressed it.”
Laura nodded. “I don’t blame you."
"Besides," said Almanzo, "everything happened so fast that Royal and I hardly had a chance to visit"
Laura nodded. "I barely even feel like I met Royal at all. That may have been a vacation for him and Millie, but it was anything but a vacation for us. And I was disappointed they didn’t bring Jennie with them. It’ll be nice to finally meet her tomorrow.”
“Yeah, but can you imagine, if they’d brought Jennie last time? From what I could gather, Myron and Rupert were always playing tricks on her. We could barely manage just Myron and Rupert, let alone three kids.”
“Yeah, I guess you’re right. Well, anyway…I guess we won’t be seeing Myron and Rupert this time around. How long did Royal say they had to spend at the reformatory?”
“I don’t think he said,” said Almanzo. “You know, I was sure that whipping I gave them the last night we were here knocked some sense into them. But I guess I was wrong.”
“Well,” said Laura, “I guess all we can do is pray for a miracle. Who knows? They may surprise us. Stranger things have happened.”

It was getting dark. Almanzo set his guitar down for a monent and stretched.
"Have you heard from your Pa yet? asked.
"Yes," said Laura. "They're still getting settled in. It's good that they have a few weeks till the school semester starts. James fell back a grade, you know."
"Yeah," said Almanzo, "but it's a miracle he's come this far. We'd all about given up hope that he'd ever wake up."
“I suppose,” said Laura.
Almanzo picked up the guitar back up and started strumming a familiar tune. Laura sat back and relaxed, letting the melody lull her deep into memory…

to be continued
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Reflections
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Little House on the Prairie :: LHOTP Fan Fiction-
Jump to: