Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled

Go down 
+2
bethandmanly
Rhonda
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21164
Mood : Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled Purple2

Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled Empty
PostSubject: Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled   Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled EmptySun Jun 24, 2018 6:36 pm

THIS is RIDICULOUS!!! I hope fans start a petition to stop this from happening.... Ranting

Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled from library award over 'stereotypical attitudes' in her popular books. Read Here

Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled Liw310Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled 1k10

Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled Rhonda10Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!

Last edited by Rhonda on Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled   Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled EmptySun Jun 24, 2018 11:45 pm

I agree. We cannot rewrite history no matter how many monuments we remove or name changes we vote on. Officials voted to remove Jefferson Davis' name from a highway in VA yesterday as well.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled   Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 5:51 pm

Our Country wouldn't be what it is today if it wasn't for the history it lived. I realize not all that happened is something to remember because of the pain and sadness, but to learn from it and move forward and then turn around and destroy it all makes no sense whatsoever.  It really is worrisome what might be next. mad

If you have Facebook, you can watch the video made by Almanzo's great, great nephew and his Native American fiance and how they are fighting this. Their page is called, "Raising Wilder"

Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled Rhonda10Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled Lauram10

Last edited by Rhonda on Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled   Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 12:01 am

I read this yesterday. This is terrible. No one can't rewrite history. I bet, they're trying to removed her books from the library. Removed LHOTP from television. I wouldn't be surprised. They removed Dukes of Hazzards from tv. Cause of the flag, on the car.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled MatthewRank
LauraIngallsfan

Number of posts : 9265
Mood : Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled   Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled EmptyFri Jun 29, 2018 6:07 pm

This is awful!!!

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”  - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled Laurai10
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/mylittlehouselibrary/
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled   Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled EmptySat Jun 30, 2018 10:14 am

I saw that the other day. Very sad.

Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled Lorike10
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled   Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled EmptySun Jul 01, 2018 6:48 am

I was surprised at first because so many books relate honestly how things were back in the day but then my daughter who is a teacher had me see another side. She works with children who are from all different backgrounds, including one child who is half Native American. Since the books are geared to children and many young kids read them and idolize Laura, etc. they might think if she said those things, it was correct, not just their observance at the time. Not all parents will give both sides.
I read them around ten and didn't remember the reference but usually thought any reference to other races being "lower" just being wrong. My parents taught me that. Michael Landon in his own spin, tried to have his show embrace the racism and show how the Indians were treated and their side also. The books I guess were not the same. Not saying I disagree or agree, but understand since it's geared to kids, they reacted to what they thought were best. They aren't removing her books, just an award.
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled   Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled EmptySun Jul 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Blue  I wish people would understand it is the Award and not the books, but as many times as I try to clarify that, people just don't read it. I do think it is unfair to strip her name from the Award since it was presented to her first and named after her in 1954 and many have been awarded it since.

If you are on Facebook, there is a video done by Almanzo's great, great nephew and his Native American fiance who gives her perspective.  What she has to say is wonderful and even will bring tears to your eyes. They have their own Facebook page called "Raising Wilder" so check it out.

Last edited by Rhonda on Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled   Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled EmptySun Jul 01, 2018 4:20 pm

Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled 1h10

Written by, Lori Borgman, Author

I stand with Laura Ingalls Wilder. Literally. There is a cutout of her in later years in the back porch at the homestead she and Almanzo settled in Mansfield, Missouri. It’s a wonderful historic site to visit. They built the house one room at a time, as they could afford materials. Almanzo built the kitchen counters low because Laura was short. The home contains wonderful and inspiring personal history. The Association for Library Services to Children has stripped Ingalls Wilder’s name from a children’s literature award that was started in her honor in 1954. She received a telegram telling her of the award on her 87th birthday. Her book series captured life on the Plains, blizzards, droughts, wildfires, hardship, struggles, determination and faith of Plains people in the late 1800s. Parts of her book have been deemed racist. You know, there wasn’t a lot of multi-cultural activity in the late 1800s. Like any book written in a different time, there are parts that may need to be read in historical context (a fundamental of reading). Alas, we have become so self-absorbed, so myopic, seeing and condemning everything through the sanctimonious lens of our enlightened latte-sipping, Costco-shopping, Netflilx-binging, Amazon-ordering 21st Century experience that we now lack the ability to appreciate those who lived in different times. Too bad, we could learn a lot from them. They can erase Laura’s name from the award, but they will never erase her beloved treasury of work from the hearts of readers.

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled   Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 12:44 pm

littlehouselover wrote:
I was surprised at first because so many books relate honestly how things were back in the day but then my daughter who is a teacher had me see another side. She works with children who are from all different backgrounds, including one child who is half Native American. Since the books are geared to children and many young kids read them and idolize Laura, etc. they might think if she said those things, it was correct, not just their observance at the time. Not all parents will give both sides.

That's understandable, but we can't make up for how a person parents now any more than we could decades ago. We keep trying to erase history as if, somehow, we can make up for the mistakes of the past. We need to teach our children--at home and in school--that this is how it was back then, but not how it is--nor should be--now. All these things do is further separate a nation that needs to come together; to treat one another with respect. In the days after 9/11, it didn't matter which side of the political aisle you were on or where in the country you lived. We were all Americans and we were united.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled   Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 2:35 pm

Goodpost yes

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled   Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled EmptyWed Aug 19, 2020 1:35 pm

Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Home and Museum

Some very significant and exciting news! A beautifully wrought Laura Ingalls Wilder Children's Literature Award medal has been established and will be presented this fall to Missouri author, David Harrison. Both Laura Ingalls Wilder and David Harrison contributed outstanding books which have enriched children's reading worlds. Read the whole story in the article from the Springfield News & Leader below. Congratulations Mr. Harrison!  Read Here
Related Story About Award
Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled 1g215

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled   Laura - Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled Empty

Back to top Go down

Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled
Page 1 of 1