Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Songs you like!

Go down 
+27
Alice Garvey
Kristina
Davetucson
julmer70
MissOleson
Kamberley
Krissy
poo_cat
Pepsi
Honeybee
georgiagirl1993
Savannah
Rhonda
flatbroke
GrandDuchessOlga
emilyanneoftheprairie
Amy
LM
Kathleen Marie
carolineingalls
Debbie
Rob
JW
Misti
HarrisonCrosby4387
ChristinaAL
Carol
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
AuthorMessage
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62618
Mood : Songs you like! - Page 24 Goodsi10

Songs you like! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 8:34 pm

Kristina wrote:
I love this! I've heard that this band has tried to compare themselves to the Beatles, and even Paul McCartney told them that they shouldn't do that. Because no one will ever be as good as John, Paul, George, and Ringo!

I remember back in the '80s some young artist declared that his debut album was "better than Sgt. Pepper." That's a good way to commit career suicide. The critics couldn't wait for it to be released so they could savage it. Turns out it wasn't better than Sgt. Pepper. Gee, who'da thought? HeeHee
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 8:35 pm

Kristina wrote:
This song has recently become a sort of inspiration for my writing because in one of the stories I'm working on, one of the main characters plays the piano, and I imagined him learning to play this song.

That's one of my favorite Elton songs. Good luck with your story!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Songs you like! - Page 24 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptyMon Jan 26, 2015 11:23 pm

Kristina, I didn't know you were a writer!  Good for you! Thumbsup

Rob, LOVE the Robby Benson segment....as you know, I have a little crush on him.  batEyes  Just a teensy weensy one. Wink   After I watched that song segment on youtube, I watched the Oprah 'where are they now' on him.  He's just an amazing person.  

Dave....I love ELO!!  My hubby owns everything by them...they were such an incredible group. Thumbsup  Ironically, we just watched one of the dvd concerts of theirs the other night!

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 5:37 am

Gladys Knight & the Pips, "You're the Best Thing that Ever Happened to Me."  Love her voice.  Love

Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : Songs you like! - Page 24 Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 3:28 pm

Rob wrote:
Gladys Knight & the Pips, "You're the Best Thing that Ever Happened to Me."  Love her voice.  Love

Thumbsup

I've recently "rediscovered" this one.  Basically, I don't have constant access to this song.  We don't have a decent oldies station anymore (it was played all the time).  And I have never been able to obtain a copy of it.  Blue   So, the other day this song entered my head.  I looked it up and I have been listening to it once-a-day.  That will go on until I get tired of it.  Smile   But I haven't heard it in so long and it is so good to hear again.
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 3:33 pm

Here is another one that the good old "oldies" station used to play (nobody knows how I miss it!) that I was obsessed with:

The ORIGINAL of this song will always be the best to me. yes

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 5:05 pm

Good songs!  It's funny, when I was a kid I was convinced that Stevie Wonder sang "More Today than Yesterday."  HeeHee  He just sounded Stevie-like to me when he hit those high notes.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Songs you like! - Page 24 Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 3:09 pm

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 4:28 pm

Rob wrote:
Good songs!  It's funny, when I was a kid I was convinced that Stevie Wonder sang "More Today than Yesterday."  HeeHee  He just sounded Stevie-like to me when he hit those high notes.
Yeah, actually, when you say that, he kind of does sound like him, doesn't he?  I always thought his voice reminded me of someone's, but I could never think of who it could be.  Maybe I have my answer to that thanks to you.  Smile

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptyFri Feb 20, 2015 1:51 pm

MissOleson wrote:
Yeah, actually, when you say that, he kind of does sound like him, doesn't he?  I always thought his voice reminded me of someone's, but I could never think of who it could be.  Maybe I have my answer to that thanks to you.  Smile

Aw, shucks, ma'am. Songs you like! - Page 24 T1807
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 5:39 pm

Still on my high from seeing Barry Manilow last night!  grinsmiley  It was actually supposed to be last week but he had to reschedule because he got sick.  Anyway, when you see him perform live, sick or not (it was obvious he wasn't completely over it - nasal nose, coughing Smile ), he really puts on a great show.  And he is a perfect example of a true showman.  LOVED IT!!!  And in honor of this man, I have to finally post my absolute favorite song of his:

Love

Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

Number of posts : 3301
Mood : Songs you like! - Page 24 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 10:33 am

This song was a topic over at the hangman puzzle in the 'games' section. I really stumped Rob with this one!

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 8:13 pm

You certainly did.  Smile
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 3:55 pm

I've been listening to this one a lot lately:

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 1:03 pm

Oh, I missed this.  Yup, that was a goodie.  Written by John Denver, you know.
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374
Mood : Songs you like! - Page 24 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 3:09 pm

Way Down South! I'm talkin DEEP South

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 6:10 pm

Ha!  Good one!

I've posted this one before.  One of my favorite voices and songwriters.  John Prine's Hello in There.

Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Songs you like! - Page 24 Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 3:24 pm

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374
Mood : Songs you like! - Page 24 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 8:26 am

Interesting guy..........One Great Song!

Glen Medeiros began his musical career at the age of 10 when he helped his father entertain guests on his tour bus on the island of Kauai. In 1987, at the age of 17, Medeiros won a local radio talent contest in Hawaii when he performed a cover version of George Benson's "Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You" which was subsequently produced into an album by a small local independent label. A visiting radio executive from KZZP in Phoenix, Arizona heard the song and took the record back to Phoenix, where, through word of mouth, it became a national hit. Later, a worldwide hit, it reached #12 on the Billboard Hot 100 and spent four weeks at number one on the UK Singles Chart in July 1988.[2]

In 1988, he recorded the single "Un Roman d'amitié" (Friend You Give Me a Reason), a duet in French with Elsa Lunghini. He also achieved a 1990 United States #1 hit duet with Bobby Brown titled "She Ain't Worth It".[3] The same track peaked at #12 in the UK chart.[2] He had another hit duet with Ray Parker, Jr. titled "All I'm Missing Is You" which peaked at US #32. In 1989, Glenn recorded "Under Any Moon" with The Jets, which was included on the soundtrack of The Karate Kid, Part III. Medeiros' relationship with the British media somewhat soured in 1990 when he was seemingly ridiculed on the music review program Juke Box Jury. A panel consisting of footballer Jon Fashanu, singer Neneh Cherry and comedians Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer, overseen by Jools Holland, slated the video of "All I'm Missing Is You". Unbeknownst to the guest reviewers at the time, Medeiros was present and live in the studio, watching their commentary. Emerging afterwards as that weeks "special guest", all parties were visibly embarrassed, with Medeiros exiting the set swiftly. This moment was later included in both Channel 4's "TV Hell" program.

In 1992 Medeiros recorded a duet with Thomas Anders (of Modern Talking fame) titled "Standing Alone" and shot a video.

Medeiros wrote "Break These Walls" for the New Zealand singer, Sam Verlinden. He also wrote the song "Follow the Sun" for Regine Velasquez which was later recorded by the group Forte. In addition, Glenn wrote the song entitled "These Tears I Cry" for Martin Nievera. Glenn has written nearly two hundred songs, many of which have been recorded by various artists throughout the world.

Today, Dr. Medeiros is the host and performer at the Hale Koa Hotel's luau in Waikiki, and is the Vice Principal of Maryknoll Grade School. He has taught grades K, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, and high school at various schools throughout Oahu starting in both public and private schools including Mililani Middle School, St. Joseph School in Waipahu, Island Pacific Academy in Kapolei, and Maryknoll High School.

April 23, 2015, Medeiros has been appointed as President of St. Louis School, an all boys school in Honolulu Oahu.

Medeiros is of Portuguese ancestry. When finished touring, he was an excellent student in the Humanities, Literature, and History and graduated from The University of Hawaii-West Oahu with a BA in History and The University of Phoenix-Hawaii with an MA in Elementary Education. In May of 2014, Glenn received his doctorate degree in Education from the University of Southern California.

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 3:30 pm

Rob wrote:
Oh, I missed this.  Yup, that was a goodie.  Written by John Denver, you know.

Which version do you think is better? I am torn. I know it is originally his song. But I just love the perfect blend of their voices (her voice is just so pure) on that song.

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 8:20 pm

I prefer the PP&M version. I'm a sucker for harmonies. And that's the version I heard first as a kid.
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 1:32 pm

Rob wrote:
I'm a sucker for harmonies
Oh, I completely agree with you there!  Smile

I am still on a kick from seeing a show in DC called "Freedom's Song".  So, I have been obsessively listening to my CD set lately with the following songs (which were all used in "Freedom's Song" - they were originally part of a Broadway show called "The Civil War"):
Brother, My Brother

By the Sword/Sons of Dixie

Father, How Long?

How Many Devils?

A Candle In the Window

Northbound Train

Last Waltz for Dixie

The Glory/Sleep In My Arms

Freedom's Child (my second favorite song from "The Civil War" - well, I suppose "Freedom's Song", too  Smile )

And finally.....
Sarah  (my absolute favorite one - I LOVE THIS SONG!!!)

Sorry to bombard this thread with all of this music, but it had to be done.  I just can't seem to get it out of my system right now and I am kind of making everyone listen to it lately.   Smile

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 7:07 pm

Beautiful songs, MissOleson. Okay, so I didn't listen to all of them, but the ones I heard were very nice. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 7:09 pm

MissOleson wrote:
I know it is originally his song.  But I just love the perfect blend of their voices (her voice is just so pure) on that song.

I saw Peter, Paul & Mary at a fair back in the late '80s. Unfortunately it poured rain through the whole concert. And Mary wasn't there because she had bronchitis. So it was just Peter, Paul &. Smile
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 11:26 am

Rob wrote:
Beautiful songs, MissOleson.  Okay, so I didn't listen to all of them, but the ones I heard were very nice. Smile
That is OK.   Smile   Just as long as you listened to "Sarah".  That is the important one.   Smile   They based that song on the letter that the Union Major Sullivan Ballou wrote to his wife before he died in battle.  Except they make this song about a private writing to his wife.

I don't know if you've ever seen this letter anywhere, but it is just so depressing!  Ken Burns had an abridged version read at the end of the first episode of "The Civil War", but the real killer is the complete letter.  I've had multiple people read it through the years and I think it upset every one of their days!  There was this high school girl that I worked with years ago that I had read it.  She literally started to cry.  I even went out with a guy that I made read it.  He wouldn't talk to me much afterwards because it put him into such a funk!  It really is something when you read it.  It really is.

Anyway...... Smile

Rob wrote:
I saw Peter, Paul & Mary at a fair back in the late '80s.  Unfortunately it poured rain through the whole concert.  And Mary wasn't there because she had bronchitis.  So it was just Peter, Paul &. Smile
That is too bad.  Was it very obvious that she wasn't there?  I would think it would be when the one female voice wasn't present.  But I would also think the two of them were still nice to listen to.  It isn't the same thing as all 3, though, is it?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Songs you like!   Songs you like! - Page 24 Empty

Back to top Go down

Songs you like!
Page 24 of 25Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next