HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log in  

Share | 

The Great Escape

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Savannah
"Psalm 34"

Number of posts : 53786
Mood :

PostSubject: The Great Escape   Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:58 pm

I'm watching a documentary about the real-life story that inspired the movie "The Great Escape". It's completely fascinating. If you haven't seen the movie, it's about a group of WWII prisoners who dug three tunnels (code named Tom, Dick and Harry) 35 feet below ground to enable a mass escape from the prisoner of war camp that they were in. The documentary tracks the movements of archaeologists as they try to uncover the original tunnels. (One of which had never been found by the Nazis) It's amazing how ingenious the men were in building the tools that they needed to do what they were doing. They moved literally TONS of sand right under the noses of their captors. They even installed electrical lighting in the tunnels, and pumped air into the tunnels using empty powdered milk tins! ("Klim" was the name on the tins......."Milk" spelled backwards. LOL) Amazing.......I love history. grinsmiley
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor

Number of posts : 19928
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: The Great Escape   Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:34 pm

WOW, must be where Hogan's Heros got all the ideas that they had with the tunnels on the show. :think:

When I read the title, I thought perhaps SammyTweetyTomDickHarry, might have escaped...............oops, sorry, that was the name of the tunnels..........:haha:

CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2016-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards

Number of posts : 9006
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: The Great Escape   Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:38 pm

Yeah Same here I thought tweety would ecape

Leukemia Awareness
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savannah
"Psalm 34"

Number of posts : 53786
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: The Great Escape   Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:00 pm

:Hahaha: Don't give him any ideas! The cat would appreciate it, I'm sure, but.............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MattLabMyLove
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan

Number of posts : 4810
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: The Great Escape   Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:43 pm

Savannah wrote:
I'm watching a documentary about the real-life story that inspired the movie "The Great Escape". It's completely fascinating. If you haven't seen the movie, it's about a group of WWII prisoners who dug three tunnels (code named Tom, Dick and Harry) 35 feet below ground to enable a mass escape from the prisoner of war camp that they were in. The documentary tracks the movements of archaeologists as they try to uncover the original tunnels. (One of which had never been found by the Nazis) It's amazing how ingenious the men were in building the tools that they needed to do what they were doing. They moved literally TONS of sand right under the noses of their captors. They even installed electrical lighting in the tunnels, and pumped air into the tunnels using empty powdered milk tins! ("Klim" was the name on the tins......."Milk" spelled backwards. LOL) Amazing.......I love history. grinsmiley

Wow, that's amazing they did that without anyone finding out! How?

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Great Escape   Today at 12:14 pm

Back to top Go down

The Great Escape
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1