Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Powerful Earthquake in Peru

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Powerful Earthquake in Peru Happy010

Powerful Earthquake in Peru Empty
PostSubject: Powerful Earthquake in Peru   Powerful Earthquake in Peru EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 2:20 pm

A POWERFUL earthquake struck Peru's southern coast, killing at least 387 people and injuring some 1050 people as the Government declared a state of emergency today.

Powerful Earthquake in Peru Peru_quake9_081507

Tens of thousands of panicked residents flocked onto the streets fearing more tremors, after the 7.7-magnitude quake rattled the country for two terrifying minutes late Wednesday.

The towns of Pisco, Chincha, and other areas in Peru's southern coastal region were in ruins after the biggest earthquake to hit the South American nation in decades.

Buildings collapsed, major highways were torn asunder and power lines knocked out by the massive quake.

“We have hundreds of dead lying in the streets, injured in the hospital. It is totally indescribable,” said Juan Mendoza, the mayor of Pisco - one of the towns hardest hit by the quake.

“Seventy per cent of the town is devastated,” Mr Mendoza said.

“We don't have water, no communications, the houses are collapsed, the churches are destroyed,” said the mayor, who said his town of 130,000 was in urgent need of medical assistance.

Roberto Ocano, head of the country's firefighter service said today that 387 people were killed and some 1050 injured in the most-devastated coastal towns of Ica, Pisco and Chincha.

He suggested the number will rise as authorities investigate.

================

OhMy Wow, can you imagine experiencing an earthquake that powerful and for 2 straight minutes... ? Then the aftershocks...
I wish I could be in Peru helping out somehow... I have experienced earthquake before but not that size.... that is powerful. They say the earthquake was 19 miles deep....

Powerful Earthquake in Peru Horses10
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Powerful Earthquake in Peru Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Powerful Earthquake in Peru   Powerful Earthquake in Peru EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 2:36 pm

oh THats So Sad i have never experienced and Earthquake and i hope i never will I wish I Could Help out too

Powerful Earthquake in Peru Jacobk10Powerful Earthquake in Peru Jacob210
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Powerful Earthquake in Peru   Powerful Earthquake in Peru EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 7:15 pm

This is sad indeed. My thoughts and prayers are with the familys.Blue
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Powerful Earthquake in Peru Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Powerful Earthquake in Peru   Powerful Earthquake in Peru EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 7:41 pm

We are trying to get food and clothes to send to Peru here in Buenos Aires. Several churches are working on it. I'm currently working in this task in "Nuestra Señora de Balvanera" a Catholic Church near my house, were I was christened 35 years ago.

What a sad thing...I've heard at the news that they are expecting a Tsunami for the coast zone of North Chile, Peru, Ecuador and Colombia...It seems that the Pacific coast is becoming very dangerous. I'll pray for them all. Blue

Vanesa.

Powerful Earthquake in Peru Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: Powerful Earthquake in Peru   Powerful Earthquake in Peru EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 11:46 pm

Vanesa wrote:
What a sad thing...I've heard at the news that they are expecting a Tsunami for the coast zone of North Chile, Peru, Ecuador and Colombia...It seems that the Pacific coast is becoming very dangerous.

Wow, that is very scary Vanesa.

Here in California, it's been predicted for a long time that the 'Big One' is going to hit. I'm in the central Valley and if that 'big one' hits, we would then be the coast instead of the other cities that are on the coast now. My aunt in San Francisco has a house that is right on the fault line and she has been told, no, advised to move from there if she can.

I pray for everyone down there...

Powerful Earthquake in Peru Horses10
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Powerful Earthquake in Peru Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: Powerful Earthquake in Peru   Powerful Earthquake in Peru EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 11:45 am

I just heard about the earthquake last night. Blue Those poor souls. . . . . I have a friend who is a missionary in Peru. I haven't heard yet whether she, or anyone she knew, was affected by the earthquake.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Powerful Earthquake in Peru   Powerful Earthquake in Peru EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 5:47 pm

Carol, that is kinda scary about your aunt living on a fault line. Is she scared at all or does she love her house to much to leave it?
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Powerful Earthquake in Peru Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Powerful Earthquake in Peru   Powerful Earthquake in Peru EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 6:43 pm

Hope the hurricane would not hit your aunt's house, Carol...I'm praying. It's so scaring...I 've never experienced an earthquake, nor a Tsunami, but I know some relatives who did, and the things they tells about are really frightening.

Oh, Savannah...Hope your friend is safe by now! It depends in which Peru area is she doing her missionary job. Keep us updated about her, please. No

Vanesa.

Powerful Earthquake in Peru Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : Powerful Earthquake in Peru Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Powerful Earthquake in Peru   Powerful Earthquake in Peru EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 7:55 pm

I hate hearing these things.bawling I often wonder why this sort of thing happens.

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Powerful Earthquake in Peru   Powerful Earthquake in Peru Empty

Back to top Go down

Powerful Earthquake in Peru
Page 1 of 1