Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam!

Go down 
+4
HarrisonCrosby4387
emilyanneoftheprairie
Lily
Carol
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! Happy010

North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! Empty
PostSubject: North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam!   North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! EmptyTue Oct 02, 2007 1:29 pm

Just thought I'd post this so others can be aware:

Yesterday I got a letter in the mail saying it was from the North American Lottery. It said it was part of Publishers Clearing House (which I have participated before in) and it had the small logos of several newstations on the upper right corner along with an address in Canada.

The letter tells me that a drawing was held on August 30th and that 25 people were ramdomly selected to be the winners, I was one of th 25 and it told me my share was $150,000. Also with a letter, there was a check that looked very real for the amount of $4,000 which was deducted from my winnings. It said the 4K was for the fees and taxes. I was to cash that check and send the money to them through western union, once my paid fees were received, I would get the rest of my money.

Of course I got suspicious.... so I went online before I started calling anyone on the letter. Sure enough... there have been some people who have been scammed w/ this stupid letter. Some have cashed the check and mailed the money to the company and made them richer... others did some investigating first and saw what a scam this is.

So please be aware if you get a letter like that. It will have a Canada stamp and no return address on the envelope.

mad

North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! Horses10
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam!   North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! EmptyTue Oct 02, 2007 2:17 pm

Lottery scams are happening constantly and always prey on elderlys and people who are ignorant. They always state that in order to collect your winnings, you have to pay some kind of fee which can range from $40.00 to $400.00...or in this case $4000.00. If it's too good to be true...then it is. mad

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam!   North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! EmptyTue Oct 02, 2007 3:36 pm

Yeah. You can actually cash the check and get the money. But then you are supposed to wire it to that company and days later the bank calls you up telling you the check didn't clear and you now owe $4,000!! :faint2:

North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! Horses10
Back to top Go down
emilyanneoftheprairie
Sid's Girl
Sid's Girl

Number of posts : 3538

PostSubject: Re: North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam!   North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! EmptyTue Oct 02, 2007 3:51 pm

wow that stinks that ppl actually do that!

North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! Ifyou
I want to be the best, so whatever comes with that, I’ll have to accept. ~Sidney Crosby
North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! Cute-2
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! Happy011

PostSubject: Re: North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam!   North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! EmptyTue Oct 02, 2007 6:28 pm

Oooo, that's horrible. People that do those scams should be smacked!

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam!   North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! EmptyTue Oct 02, 2007 11:00 pm

What a coincidence, Carol!!! Both of us winners!! I just got an e-mail this morning saying that I won the UK Lottery!! Two million dollars! I'm so excited!..........Or............I would be, if it were true. But........I don't even play the Lottery! LOL! What's really sad is that a lot of people fall for that kind of thing.

Thank you for posting the warning, Carol!
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! Purple2

PostSubject: Re: North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam!   North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! EmptyWed Oct 03, 2007 7:47 am

A man in our area got a check too with his name on it. He did a little online snooping and found it to be false. He ended up taking the check to the bank anyway. He wants it there for the tellers to see and compare to any others that come in with one. Then the tellers will be able to tell the people that it is a scam..............His was from a Canadian Lottery and he has never been there to play it. mad

North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! Rhonda10North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam!   North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! EmptyWed Oct 03, 2007 8:27 am

Now there's someone who was really thinking! Taking it to the bank is a fabulous idea!
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam!   North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! EmptyWed Oct 03, 2007 8:43 am

It's sick that people do these scams. It is sad that people fall for these scams and lose their money. Especially people who are in a tough spot already.

I agree, if it's too good to be true, it's most likely to be a scam. Just like those, you won a vacation scams, that turn out to be pressure sales scams into buying a timeshare.

North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam!   North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! EmptyThu Oct 04, 2007 8:30 am

This just came in from USPS Newslink we get at work today.

TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE

Postal Inspectors lead global anti-fraud campaign

PMG Jack Potter has announced a consumer-awareness campaign to educate the American public about fraudulent checks sent through the mail. Potter announced the campaign yesterday at a Washington, DC, news conference.

Investigators led by the U.S. Postal Inspection Service have arrested 77 people as part of a global fraud crackdown that has intercepted more than $2.1 billion in counterfeit checks bound for the United States. The eight-month investigation involved schemes in Nigeria, the Netherlands, England and Canada, and has prevented more than half a million fake checks from being mailed to American victims.

“All fake check scams have a common pattern,” Potter said. “Scammers contact victims online or through the mail and send them checks or money orders. Then they ask that some portion of the money be wired back to them.”

Potter added the best thing our citizens can do to protect themselves is learn how to avoid these scams. “The old adage still holds true,” he said. “If someone offers you a deal that sounds too good to be true, it probably is.”

Assistant U.S. Attorney General Alice Fisher applauded the Inspection Service for its leadership in the global fight against fake checks. “Thanks to the efforts of the Postal Inspection Service and our international partners, we are able to arrest scam artists who operate overseas and bring them to justice,” Fisher said.

The awareness campaign has launched a series of television, print and online advertisements that feature a tagline telling consumers, “Scams like these don’t work as well in person. That’s why they’re done online.”

Go to fakechecks.org to learn more.

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! Purple2

PostSubject: Re: North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam!   North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! EmptyThu Oct 04, 2007 8:41 am

I heard that in the news this morning Lily. Seems they have pulled millions and millions of dollars worth or fake checks out of the system. I guess in a way, since this is a scam and the post office carries it to people's home, they would almost be an accessory to the crime........OhMy

North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! Rhonda10North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! Happy011

PostSubject: Re: North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam!   North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! EmptyThu Oct 04, 2007 5:05 pm

I get these stupid foreign lottery emails on yahoo all the time. I just want to smack the crap out of those freaks, lol!! One time I sent a nasty message back to them.

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam!   North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! EmptySun Oct 07, 2007 11:54 am

Ugh,I hate Scams,I get thoses e-mails too beckie i always just delted them..
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam!   North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! EmptySun Oct 07, 2007 2:37 pm

These scams are terrible! It's so unfair to take advantage of people. Thanks for the warning, Carol. I'll keep this in mind if anyone I know "wins" the lottery anytime soon.

North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! ChristinaKeeper2 North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam!   North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam! Empty

Back to top Go down

North-American Sweepstakes Lottery Scam!
Page 1 of 1