HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log in  

Share | 

Scientist to create first artificial life

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker

Number of posts : 8656
Mood :

PostSubject: Scientist to create first artificial life   Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:54 pm

(From News Article)

(sorry, it's a serious issue but I used this funny pic lol)

Scientists are on the verge of creating the world's first artificial life form, it has been reported.

Craig Venter, a DNA researcher, has built an entirely synthetic chromosome - a sequence of genes - and plans to implant it in an existing cell.

If he succeeds he and his team will have created an almost entirely new life form for the first time.

Researchers hope the discovery will lead to developments in bio-engineering to help tackle climate change, or provide alternative energy sources.

It will also provoke widespread debate about the ethics of "playing God" by creating new species.

Mr Venter told The Guardian newspaper that creating the new life form would be "a very important philosophical step in the history of our species".

"We are going from reading our genetic code to the ability to write it. That gives us the hypothetical ability to do things never contemplated before," he said.

Mr Venter's team is the first to create an artificial chromosome. It is 381 genes long and has been named Mycoplasma laboratorium.

The scientists hope to implant it in to the cell of another bacterium to create the artificial life.

The resulting bacterium will rely on the molecules of the host cell to reproduce, but will otherwise be entirely artificial.

============

I think this is a bad idea....

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myworldthroughthelens.smugmug.com/
Savannah
"Psalm 34"

Number of posts : 53814
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Scientist to create first artificial life   Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:01 pm

Interesting.
I don't think it's wise.......but I also find it a little ironic that they keep claiming to be forming a life (even artificial) when they have to use a pre-existing life cell to begin with. They aren't capable of creating a life without using part of a life that God has already created.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: Scientist to create first artificial life   Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:15 pm

Sounds kind of scary to me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lily
"Beautiful Life"

Number of posts : 6784
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Scientist to create first artificial life   Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:07 pm

It's a scary thought that the advancement of our technology can lead the scientists to manipulate the life form that God had already created.

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Scientist to create first artificial life   Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:39 pm

I agree with everything everyone just said.
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady

Number of posts : 2749

PostSubject: Re: Scientist to create first artificial life   Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:10 pm

:yeahthat: Scary to think about, IMO.

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scientist to create first artificial life   Today at 12:41 pm

Back to top Go down

Scientist to create first artificial life
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1