Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Vanesa - I have a question for you.....

Go down 
+2
Vanesa
Savannah
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Vanesa - I have a question for you..... Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54426
Mood : Vanesa - I have a question for you..... Happy010

Vanesa - I have a question for you..... Empty
PostSubject: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyMon Oct 15, 2007 7:22 pm

We're having an International Dinner at my church, featuring foods from each of the countries where we support missionaries. Argentina is one of them! Do you recommend any particular dishes or recipes? I hope you don't mind me asking.......I thought that someone who lives there would know the best foods. grinsmiley
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Vanesa - I have a question for you..... Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyMon Oct 15, 2007 7:36 pm

Yes: you could cook Puchero, Empanadas, Asado, Locro and pancakes with dulce de leche in them.

I now these recipes well (I love to cook), but I'm afraid I can't translate the recipes in a good English. So, I'll saerch some of these on the net, just to see if they are available in English.
Argentina has a great deal of meals, for it's a BIG country with very different landscapes, so meals are diverse too. We have , for sure, the better meat dishes there could be, but also fish dishes (sea fish and catfish) , vegetable dishes, cheeses, goat dishes, etc, etc.

Let me search some good Argentinian menu and let's see.

Now, something easy: making "dulce de leche" (milk jam). We can purchase this already made here, but for you, the only solution is to put a sweetened condensed milk tin into boiling water and allow it to boil (don't open it!) one or two hours (it depends how brown and sweet do you want the jam to be). Then, let the tin to become cold ...DON'T OPEN IT UNTIL IT IS NOT COLD, for you may burn yourself, since the jam would jump until your roof, LOL! affraid This jam is excellent to put into pancakes inestead of honey, syrup or another jam, and also into cakes, pies or even cookies. Tries it! Once you've tasted it, you'll never stop to eat it. 🍬

Vanesa.

Vanesa - I have a question for you..... Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyMon Oct 15, 2007 7:41 pm

Hey, Savannah! I just found an excellent site in ENGLISH who explains you al about Argentinian cooking style. You have even an article explaining how our meals are. Go to:

www.marga.org/food/int/argentina

It must be a god advice..since Margarita IS Argentinian. batEyes ☮

Vanesa.

Good luck! Thumbsup

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyMon Oct 15, 2007 7:44 pm

I just love food from other countries.
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyMon Oct 15, 2007 7:44 pm

Vanesa!! The milk jam sounds fabulous! That's what we use here for the base of making "Turtle Clusters". It's made with caramel (but if you sweetened condensed milk that's been cooked as you described, it's MUCH tastier!) and chocolate, and pecans.......VERY yummy!

Thank you for helping!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyMon Oct 15, 2007 7:45 pm

OOOOOOH! Thank you, Vanesa! What a great site!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyMon Oct 15, 2007 7:50 pm

The Empanadas sound very tasty. There are some really delicious sounding foods from your country, Vanesa! It's going to be hard to choose what to make.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyMon Oct 15, 2007 9:33 pm

Let us know what you make, Savannah.

My friends grandmother was Greek, and she made Baklava. It was awesome.
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyTue Oct 16, 2007 10:48 am

Those empanadas sound delicious, I will have to make some!!

Interesting... in El Salvador, the empanadas are sweet, they have the same name but they are different.

I love both of them! eat

You can read about the different varieties of Empanadas here:

Empanadas

Vanesa - I have a question for you..... Horses10
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyTue Oct 16, 2007 7:02 pm

Hi, Carol! What a nice info! And all these Empanadas looks great. I noticed there is a pic of Argentinian Empanadas, so you'll find them easy to do. But there is no a simple "Argentinian Empanada" . The recipe could change from region to region. Fillings are different in everyone of them: you may fill them with cow meat, but also with chicken, and there is a tasteful recipe with cheese and ham inside. I love these last ones. You may play with "Empanadas" and put whatever you likes into them!

And there is also a "sweet recipe" of Empanadas from the north of the country, named "Empanadilla" . They filles them with a pumpkin jam very tasteful and puts sugar frozen over them...You may also fill them with sweet potatoe jam.

I also tried the Brazilian Empanadas when I went to Brazil but in the South og this country, they are similar than our own Empanadas. You my also fill them with any kind of fish...

They are good! I'm hungry!!!!! eat (Please, Carol! Post some Salvadorean recipes here!

And, Savannah...I hope your "Argentinian dishes" will be a succes. Tell us about how did you cook them and ALL. We are curious! :3gather:

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyTue Oct 16, 2007 8:14 pm

Oh my gosh, this thread is making me SO hungry. Oh why did I have to be nosy and open a thread that didn't have my name on it??

Vanesa - I have a question for you..... PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62616
Mood : Vanesa - I have a question for you..... Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyTue Oct 16, 2007 9:17 pm

I know what you mean, Pam. I've been craving empanadas for two days now. Love

They sound a lot like pasties, a very popular dish in Michigan's upper peninsula. Here's a link...

Pasties
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Vanesa - I have a question for you..... LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Vanesa - I have a question for you..... Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyWed Oct 17, 2007 9:03 am

I was nosy too Pam, and now I'm craving and starving...lol. I love empanadas!! We can get them pretty much everywhere in NYC, but only certain places make the yummy ones.

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyWed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Carol, thanks for the link about empanadas! It had pictures, and the other sites I'd found didn't have any - so I still wasn't sure how exactly to shape them. I'm planning on making some empanadas very soon!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyWed Oct 17, 2007 12:11 pm

Rob, I haven't made pasties in so long! You're right, empanadas do sound very similar to pasties!
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyWed Oct 17, 2007 1:16 pm

Well, at least I'm not alone, Rob and Lily. :haha:

Vanesa - I have a question for you..... PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyWed Oct 17, 2007 7:45 pm

Yes! You are right. Empanadas ARE Pasties. They cames directly from an English dish. They could be called Pasties, but also Pastries and Bridies. ..since the dish comes to Latin American from English and Scottish people, not from Spanish ones as some should believe.

In Mexico, you will find the "Pastes" who are rounds shaped, as the Pasties you posted, Rob, but also the "Empanadas" who are shaped like Argentina 's and Chilean ones but are littlest than the Pastes. These were bring to Mexico to the mines areas by the English workers who had their job in minning compagnies. And here in my country, they seems to have been brought by the English traders who would come to Buenos Aires port even before independence days...

As for "dulce de leche", it is common in France, even if some of my Argentinians friends cries out we've invented it. It's fake. You may found it under the name of "Confiture de lait" en France ou plainly "Caramel". It's more common in milk regions, as Bretagne , Auvergne , Normandie and Savoye.

But all these are tasteful and this is the important thing!!!

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyWed Oct 17, 2007 7:56 pm

Oh! I forgotten my por Savannah: "Empanadas" could be shaped as you likes to. We have the "round ones", but if you wants to have a really traditional dish of Argentinian Empanadas for the missionaries, just shape them as it is show in the pic of Wikipedia in the "Argentinian " and "Chilean" Empanadas info. This is the more common among us.

Oh...and just guess what I eated at noon: Empanadas filled with meat, olives, eggs and all!!! Delicious! :woohooo:

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Vanesa - I have a question for you..... LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Vanesa - I have a question for you..... Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyWed Oct 17, 2007 9:44 pm

Vanesa, your lunch sounded delicious. Was it the spanish olives in your empanadas? The ones I ate all have them because they're more flavorful than the black olives, they're so good!!

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... EmptyThu Oct 18, 2007 7:14 pm

Yes. We put them into Empanadas. But we didn't cal them Spanish Olives. Here they are plainly "green olives". There are Empanadas who have also the black ones into them.

I must said I love both of them... grinsmiley

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vanesa - I have a question for you.....   Vanesa - I have a question for you..... Empty

Back to top Go down

Vanesa - I have a question for you.....
Page 1 of 1