Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wildfires in California

Go down 
+6
emilyanneoftheprairie
Savannah
pamh36
bethandmanly
Rhonda
Carol
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : ingalls - Wildfires in California Happy010

ingalls - Wildfires in California Empty
PostSubject: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyMon Oct 22, 2007 12:26 pm

Here we go... another blasted fire destroying homes and landmarks, leaving thousands homeless mad

ingalls - Wildfires in California 2007-10-22-77438494

MALIBU - Flames fueled by ferocious Santa Ana winds roared Sunday across Southern California, straining firefighting resources as homes and landmarks burned and brushfires raced toward mansions along the fabled Malibu shoreline.

With winds roaring with hurricane force through mountain passes, fires broke out in several locations, including bucolic Agua Dulce in north Los Angeles County where at least two stately ranch homes went up in flames. Hundreds of people were evacuated.

Five homes in Malibu were lost - including a landmark castle known simply as "The Castle," that had recently been sold for $17 million. Malibu Presbyterian Church was destroyed, as was a glass shop in a Malibu strip mall.

It was the firestorm nightmare officials had warned of for months after the driest winter on record and a summer of sweltering temperatures.

"This is the conflagration that we knew was going to come at some point," Los Angeles County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky said at news conference Sunday evening. "We were cruising for a bruising.

"We're very, very lucky as we stand here tonight that the damage is as limited as it has been."

There was no containment late Sunday of either the Malibu or Agua Dulce fire, and officials said they expect the blazes will continue at least through today, threatening thousands of other homes.

"It will be hotter and drier and stronger winds," said Los Angeles County Fire Department Capt. Mike Brown. "We were staging resources for the

possibility of something like this all over the county.
"Extreme conditions cause fires like this. There's nothing you can do about that, you just do what you can do."

At least 1,200 acres had burned in Malibu, and nearly 2,000 more in Agua Dulce with mandatory evacuation orders in effect.

Los Angeles County Fire Chief Michael Freeman warned Malibu residents to brace for more destruction, with the winds expected to get even stronger after dark. At that point, he said, most of the water-dropping helicopters would be shut down, and ground crews would work to protect the perimeter of the blaze.

"This is a very dynamic, potentially very dangerous fire," he said.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger released a statement said the state was working with federal and local officials to mobilize the necessary resources to fight all of these fires.

His office said at least 400 fire engines were on scene, with 10 air tankers from the CalFire strike team engaged or on standby. More than 1,150 personnel suited up for duty and rushed to the blaze.

High winds snapped power lines before dawn along Malibu Canyon Road, apparently igniting the blaze that quickly charged through the canyon toward the coast, turning Malibu Presbyterian Church to smoldering ruins.

"It's crazy. When I got here there were flames everywhere - it was really scary," said Sammy Duran, working at a gas station on Pacific Coast Highway.

Nearby, the Castle Kashan, a turreted landmark on a bluff with magnificent ocean views, was destroyed. Within the walls of the castle, built in the 1970s and owned by Iranian princess, socialite Lilly Lawrence, were priceless collections - gifts and letters from presidents and royalty among them.

ingalls - Wildfires in California PicBar02

The frenzied gusts hurled embers hundreds of yards. Some landed in palm trees that "exploded" in flames that heavily damaged the Malibu Canyon shopping center, said Engineer Jim Muth from the Manhattan Beach Fire Department, one of dozens of municipal forces called in to help.

"When the palm trees go, there's a lot of spread of embers," Muth said.

Lisa Clunis, 17, was among dozens of volunteers who hauled horse trailers to Malibu and helped residents in hidden canyons evacuate their horses and other livestock.

The volunteer crew was summoned at 6 a.m. by county sheriff's deputies. Its first task was the evacuation of 60 horses from Sycamore Farms to another Malibu equestrian center, far from the fire's reach.

At Pepperdine University, located on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, about 2,000 students hurried from their dormitories to the cafeteria at the center of campus. Pepperdine, with fire-retardant landscaping and concrete buildings, was built to withstand the legendary fires that sweep every few years through Malibu, campus minister Thomas Fitzpatrick said.

ingalls - Wildfires in California Campus-look-north

The school let students return to their dorms by mid-afternoon on Sunday but advised them to stay home from class on Monday. The school is currently evaluating when it will reopen for instruction.

The Santa Anas came as no surprise, said Bill Hoffer, a spokesman for the National Weather Service, but they turned what would otherwise be merely sneeze-inducing into a nightmarish-looking haze that smudged out the whole sky. In his 20 years with the NWS in Southern California, he could not recall such strong winds.

=============

I pray for many families who have to evacuate and who have lost their homes and possessions  Blue

I have family there  and I know one is on standby... I hope the fire doesn't go their way but the santa ana winds have been really strong...   :unsure:

More here:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/22/wcalifornia122.xml

ingalls - Wildfires in California Horses10
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21164
Mood : ingalls - Wildfires in California Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyMon Oct 22, 2007 12:33 pm

SO SAD......When I lived out there growing up, we kept water hoses hooked up and ready to water down the roof of our house. We lived at the base of the San Bernardino Mountains and had fires all the time. A very scary experience indeed. I wll pray for those people...No

ingalls - Wildfires in California Rhonda10ingalls - Wildfires in California Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : ingalls - Wildfires in California Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyMon Oct 22, 2007 12:51 pm

Susan and Kent McCray live in Malibu. I'm sure they, along with everyone else there, could use our prayers right now.

Cheryl

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyMon Oct 22, 2007 1:15 pm

That is very sad. I pray the people there stay safe.

ingalls - Wildfires in California PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
ingalls - Wildfires in California Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54425

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyMon Oct 22, 2007 1:17 pm

That's so sad - and it has to be very scary for those living nearby! They can sure use our prayers!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyMon Oct 22, 2007 4:02 pm

that is soo sad
Back to top Go down
emilyanneoftheprairie
Sid's Girl
Sid's Girl

Number of posts : 3538

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyMon Oct 22, 2007 4:43 pm

it must be very scary

ingalls - Wildfires in California Ifyou
I want to be the best, so whatever comes with that, I’ll have to accept. ~Sidney Crosby
ingalls - Wildfires in California Cute-2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyMon Oct 22, 2007 4:45 pm

What a shame.
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyMon Oct 22, 2007 5:11 pm

Look at this picture Blue

ingalls - Wildfires in California Art.flame3.irpt

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyMon Oct 22, 2007 5:22 pm

Oh my, Carol. Look at that! I could only imagine the terror those residents feel.
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyMon Oct 22, 2007 5:43 pm

Carol wrote:

All too familiar with me....what memories....WHEW! No

ingalls - Wildfires in California Rhonda10ingalls - Wildfires in California Lauram10
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyMon Oct 22, 2007 11:12 pm

What a sad and scary thing. I only saw these kind of things in TV , so I can't really say how is it to REALY experience something so terrible and overwhelming.

I will pray for those poor people. Blue No

Vanesa.

ingalls - Wildfires in California Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyTue Oct 23, 2007 7:17 am

This link to Fox News - http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,303881,00.html - says that one of the fires in Orange County was set. What kind of person does that?

Cheryl

Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyTue Oct 23, 2007 9:00 am

Carol wrote:

Wow. I can't imagine what it would be like to have the reality of looking down the street and seeing that coming towards you.

ingalls - Wildfires in California PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyTue Oct 23, 2007 12:29 pm

The images on tv are scary enough - I can't even imagine how frightening it must be to have that looming in the near distance! And for someone to have purposely set one of the fires?? How incredibly wicked!
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyTue Oct 23, 2007 12:34 pm

Last night they were showing pictures of Dick VanDyke's car.....then they said, "Here is Dick VanDyke's car, parked over here, but no one has seen Dick." No

I hope he is ok, how terrible to lose such a wonderful actor in this awful fire......mad

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyTue Oct 23, 2007 12:35 pm

Oh my goodness! I hope his family had come and gotten him, and that's why his car was there and he wasn't! I sure hope he's okay...
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyTue Oct 23, 2007 2:55 pm

Man, it is scary to see the amount of homes destroyed and the exodus of people. More fires were started... Santa Clarita is one that is about 2 hours south of me but the fire won't pass the grapevine...
My brother in Los Angeles says where he is at everything looks gray and it looks like some ash is falling from the sky... but so far he is safe in the area.

Traffic here is getting more busy as several have traveled to central california and other parts to stay with family members, etc. The weather is warmer than usual due to the santa ana winds. Last week we were at 68 now we are at 86 degrees and it looks like the winds won't really die down until Thursday! mad
That is the scary part. A house is burning and the strong winds sometimes send chunks of burning stuff to land somewhere else igniting another fire and so on... :sad5:

The endangared animas from San Diego Zoo & Wild Animal Park are being evacuated although the Zoo should be safe... let's hope!!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyTue Oct 23, 2007 3:16 pm

How far is Los Feliz from these fires?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyThu Oct 25, 2007 8:11 pm

I've been following this alot. I feel so sad for these people. :sad5:I heard one of them was started on purpose Ranting

My uncle, who lives in San Diego, has really bad asthma and he can barely breathe. I have no idea where he is now. He was supposed to be coming home, but I don't think he got a flight yet.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 10:30 am

I found a link to this article on Facebook that says the ranch used as a filming location for LHOP is in danger from the recent wildfires. http://fox40.com/2013/08/29/old-tv-show-set-threatened-by-rim-fire/

Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

PostSubject: Ingalls Fire   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 10:48 am

Where a lot of the forest shots were done......ironic about the Ingalls family.......

TUOLUMNE COUNTY - CALIFORNIA

Smoke from the Rim Fire is looming large over a ranch that was often used as a filming location for the TV show, “Little House on the Prairie” in the 1970s and 80s.

On the show, Michael Landon played a character names Charles Ingalls.  A real life Ingalls family owns the remote ranch that sits perilously close to the northwestern end of the Rim Fire in Tuolumne County.

While fire crews have been setting strategic backfires on a nearby ridge, the Ingalls have been cutting containment lines on their property with their own bulldozer as an extra precaution.

The family is rationing their food and water, afraid to leave because some of the roads leading to their ranch are closed.

As of Wednesday night, they were not under mandatory evacuation.  But they said an officer at a roadblock tried to prevent them from returning to the ranch after a recent supply trip.  In some cases, officers are asking for proof of residency at roadblocks near the fire.  Because the ranch is a second address for the Ingalls, it is not listed on their drivers licenses, they explained to FOX40

http://fox40.com/2013/08/29/old-tv-show-set-threatened-by-rim-fire/

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : ingalls - Wildfires in California Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 5:54 pm

I have never heard of any Ingalls family living in that area, especially if they own the ranch that the show was filmed on. If they had, I would have heard because my very good friend Beth Ingalls Leisses is a relative of Laura. I think the writer of this may be saying "an Ingalls type family", not the Ingalls family.

ingalls - Wildfires in California MarilynKeeper ingalls - Wildfires in California Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 8:54 pm

That's how I took it, Marilyn.

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 10:10 pm

I think it is a family with the last name, "Ingalls", but not related to the real Ingalls,  just a coincidence that they have the same name and live where LH was filmed..... scratchead 

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wildfires in California   ingalls - Wildfires in California Empty

Back to top Go down

Wildfires in California
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next