Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN Empty
PostSubject: ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN   ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN EmptyMon Nov 19, 2007 5:18 pm

I was just watching my local news and Myspace was on it yet again.
Seems a young girl, who was 13, hung herself in her closet, when she thought a young boy, broke off a relationship with her online. Then others started leaving her harrassing comments, and she had enough, and it drove her to suicide.

Come to find out, it was not a young boy after all. This boy NEVER existed. He was made up by some neighbors down the street from them, trying to see if she would talk about another girl behind her back. That had a very bad ending.

Her parents talked to these people and they show NO remorse. They said they may be a little bit to blame, but they won't take all of the blame, and never said they were sorry.

My feeling is this: Teenagers should NOT have myspaces nor should they be on the computer unsupervised. (No offence to the younger forum members, but I would not allow my kids to have one!)

I really feel for this girls parents.

I must say this though. I HAD a myspace. I know people can be blocked. Whenever she was getting bad comments, she had a choice to block the user.

I am not trying to make light of this, but when people are harassed online, you 1. report it. 2. block the user. 3. erase them from contacts, etc. This should not have happened to this girl, and those adults involved need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!!

Again, I feel for her family.

Last edited by on Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN   ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN EmptyMon Nov 19, 2007 6:00 pm

That's the scariest thing about the internet - you can never really know exactly who you're dealing with. In this case, somebody ended up dying. How much more does this have to happen before people start doing something about it? I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm just talking about society in general. A lot of schools have computer rooms - I think in Junior High some sort of internet safety class or lecture needs to be taught. Kids have to learn that while the internet can be a great, fun place, you always have to be safe and give ways to do so.

ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN ChristinaKeeper2 ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN   ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN EmptyMon Nov 19, 2007 6:09 pm

I have a friend with daughters under the age of 18, who has those pages and their pictures on them. I have discussed this at length with this friend. All this friend says is "I can't control what they do at other people's houses." and I was like, "Well, you can control what's going on in your own home.

I was like, "Then if they have those pages, demand their pics are taken off." My friend just sat there.
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN Purple2

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN   ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN EmptyMon Nov 19, 2007 6:36 pm

That is what Carol posted on November 16, and how tragic is all is....No

Pokin' Arouind

ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN Rhonda10ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN   ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN EmptyMon Nov 19, 2007 6:41 pm

Oh, I didn't read that. Sorry Carol.

It is a real shame!!
Back to top Go down
emilyanneoftheprairie
Sid's Girl
Sid's Girl

Number of posts : 3538
Mood : ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN Happy010

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN   ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN EmptyMon Nov 19, 2007 7:53 pm

it is very sad!

ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN Ifyou
I want to be the best, so whatever comes with that, I’ll have to accept. ~Sidney Crosby
ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN Cute-2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN   ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN EmptyMon Nov 19, 2007 9:58 pm

ChristinaAL wrote:
That's the scariest thing about the internet - you can never really know exactly who you're dealing with. In this case, somebody ended up dying. How much more does this have to happen before people start doing something about it? I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm just talking about society in general. A lot of schools have computer rooms - I think in Junior High some sort of internet safety class or lecture needs to be taught. Kids have to learn that while the internet can be a great, fun place, you always have to be safe and give ways to do so.

i agree
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN   ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN Empty

Back to top Go down

ANOTHER MYSPACE CONCERN
Page 1 of 1