Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"FARMER BOY"

Go down 
+15
alexczarn
ChristineLovesLHOTP
Honeybee
Robinsgirl
Prairie Dweller
LIWnut
Prairie Wind
Misti
Vanesa
Rhonda
Savannah
GrandDuchessOlga
ChristinaAL
JW
Carol
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

"FARMER BOY" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 1:37 pm

what a wonderful book. I first read it when I was in 5th grade...I am now a senior in high school and would read it over and over again! :Gjob:
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

Number of posts : 1369

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 2:01 pm

It makes ya want to be a farmer, doesn't it? grinsmiley

"FARMER BOY" - Page 2 Hollykeeper
Back to top Go down
http://toknowhimmore.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 2:17 pm

definately! if life could be that simple I would definately take the chance!
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 2:30 pm

We farmed for a little while and it's really hard work! But it is a good way for the family to be together.

I love the way that Almazo knew his own mind from such a young age. People often think that younger people don't know their own way but they often do. You might just be one of those, eh? But if you don't know where you're going or what you want, that's okay, too. You've got the rest of your life to find out! Thumbsup

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 2:49 pm

I know some people who own a farm and their family is really close but it is also really difficult...especially haying time!
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 4:06 pm

Haying time helped my boys learn diligence and earn some muscle!
But I think they would confess that the best part about haying time was the midnight swims afterward! Laughing

Back to top Go down
Robinsgirl
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

Number of posts : 329
Mood : "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 8:00 pm

I loved Farmer Boy! T'is one of my most favoritest Little House books! Almanzo is def. one of my favorite characters! I love the way he eats so much. I have always wanted to live on a farm no matter how much work it would be. I could use some hard work in my liofe. lolzness! I def. dont get enough of that now!

Sometimes life throws you under the bus. You gotta hold on for dear life. Don't waste one single day.

==============================================================================================

I wonder how I find myself with the greatest boy ever! <3 He loves me in spite of my issues.
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565
Mood : "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 11:28 am

This is other good book to read. I like it, Since we get to know more about Almanzo childhood.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
ChristineLovesLHOTP
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
ChristineLovesLHOTP

Number of posts : 227
Mood : "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:34 pm

I really enjoyed reading about Almanzo's life. Very good book

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999
Mood : "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 9:54 pm

I really liked this book! Probably because it was about a boy haha.

"FARMER BOY" - Page 2 Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Well, I'm re-reading this. I just finish reading a chapter. (Chapter 18) "Keeping House" They left all four kids on their own. While parents vacation at Uncle Andrew's house. Leaving Eliza Jane in charge of everyone. Even her older brother Royal. Today's century if a parent left their kids from 12 to 9 years old. They will be arrested and the kids will be in child service.

When their neighbor came by to visit them. After few days the parents came back from their vacation.

1866:

Mrs Webb: "Didn't you worry, leaving the children alone here and you so far away?"

Mrs Wilder:"No," Mother said, proudly. "I knew the children would take care of everything as well as if James and I were to home."

2013:

Mrs Webb: "I'm calling the police. You neglect your children for a week."

Mrs. Wilder: "No, you can't do this to me. My husband and I, have a right to go on vacation alone, for week."

Here are the ages of the Wilder family.

James Wilder (1813-1899) Age 86

Angeline Wilder (1821-1905) Age 84

Laura Ann Wilder (1844-1899) Age 55

Royal Gould Wilder (1847-1925) Age 78

Eliza Jane Wilder (1850-1930 Age 80

Alice M. Wilder (1853-1892) Age 39

Almanzo James Wilder (1857-1949) Age 92

Perley Day Wilder 1869-1934) Age 65

So, Almanzo lives the longest in his family.

Doesn't say what month they were born and what month they died. So, they could died before their birthday. Just giving an idea.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 7:06 pm

So, I'm done with the book. I was reading the Christmas chapter. Back then, they had the adults eat first. Then, teenagers, goes down until Almanzo & Puree. (I think, that's his cousin's name.) Almanzo had wait until everyone else ate their food, before he could. Can you imagine today, if we still do that. That the kids, has to wait until the adults is done. If, I was living back in 19th century. I told my kid to wait until, I was done eating. I'll feel guilty. Said to my kids. We all eat together.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 Headac10

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 7:49 pm

To me it doesn't seem polite to eat first and make your kids waite.Today kids would just be rude and not sit and waite.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
bestshowever
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 50

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 7:16 pm

I love reading these books because of the details they give about the rhythm of farm life. The seasons come and go with regularity, there's the time to plow, plant, enjoy the summer, fish, then harvest time, store up the harvest, butcher a hog, ect.

The best description of the farmer is in James Wilder's giving Almonzo the pros and cons of being a farmer.
"A farmer depends on himself, and the land and the weather. If you're a farmer, you raise what you eat, you raise what you wear, and you keep warm with wood out of your own timber. You work hard, but you work as you please, and no man can tell you to go or come. You'll be free and endependant on a farm, son."

The Wilder farm though, was a pretty big operation, and very self sustaining, and in the established east coast. Charles Ingalls was a pioneer, scratching out a living where no one settled before. Of course, by reading Laura's account of her family, farming seemed much, much harder.
Back to top Go down
bestshowever
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 50

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2014 6:45 pm

Reading Farmer Boy again, and I am just amazed at the chapter on the shoe cobbler coming to the house to make the family new shoes.

My God, the thought of having someone come to your home and make you a pair of custom made shoes, from materials raised on your own farm...that's just the most incredible luxury imaginable. Some facets of life back then make me so envious.

But they always wanted store boughten. Almonzo was tickeled pink when he got a "boughten" cap for Christmas!
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 8:35 pm

This book is alright!!!

It's neat how they lived.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
maria1
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 276
Mood : "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 Mornincoffee

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 10:32 am

it sounds really like an inresting book. but i live in sweden so but maby i can find them here. i've to put it up on my list. thanx. grinsmiley
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 6:44 pm

Sweden looks like a beautiful country. Good luck finding the books

Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 8:23 pm

sweetkrissy2011 wrote:
This book is alright!!!

It's neat how they lived.
Isn't this a good book?! It was a longer time in between for me to have read this one than the others (when I was re-reading them). I really didn't realize how good this book was. And it was interesting to read about his family and to realize how different the Wilders were to the Ingalls. I went to the Almanzo Wilder house site in NY back in 2010. I loved it. It is too far out-of-the-way to ever go back, I think. But I think I would put it number 2 of the LH sites.

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 8:05 am

I guess i'm finding the book boring to read. It is interesting to read how different his life was from Laura's.

It's interesting how Women/Men had roles they played. How men did the work outside and women only did the house work pretty much.

Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 6:41 pm

Farmer Boy is an awesome book. Out of all of the LH books, this one is one of my favourites. I love reading about how a little boy had to work hard and realize his dreams and then at the end seeing his dreams come true. Little boys of our time have no idea what real work is but Almanzo sure knew and was rewarded in life.

"FARMER BOY" - Page 2 MarilynKeeper "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 8:37 pm

That's true!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "FARMER BOY"   "FARMER BOY" - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

"FARMER BOY"
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2