Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"THE LONG WINTER"

Go down 
+14
Honeybee
Krissy
laurasangel
Savannah
Kristina
Rhonda
Prairie Dweller
Gin
Farmer Girl
bethandmanly
Vanesa
Prairie Wind
ChristinaAL
Carol
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : "THE LONG WINTER" Happy010

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptyMon Feb 12, 2007 11:45 pm

"THE LONG WINTER"

"THE LONG WINTER" 6thBook

The first terrible storm comes to the barren prairie in October. Then it snows almost without stopping until April. Snow has reached the rooftops, and no trains can get through with food or coal. The people of De Smet are starving, including Laura's family, who wonder how they're going to make it through this terrible winter. It is young Almanzo Wilder who finally understands what needs to be done. He must save the town, even if it means risking his own life.

================

This thread is for discussing "The Long Winter"

"THE LONG WINTER" Horses10
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptyFri Feb 23, 2007 1:55 am

I kind of have mixed feelings about this book. I think it's one of the longer ones in the series, and I know that there were some pretty hard times, but it just seems depressing. Things keep getting worse and worse until Almanzo and Cap finally risk their own lives to save them. It seems like spring (and food) will never come.

"THE LONG WINTER" ChristinaKeeper2 "THE LONG WINTER" 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptyMon Feb 26, 2007 8:15 pm

I also find this book extremely depressing, but it does seem to make my troubles seem trivial.
Back to top Go down

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptyTue Feb 27, 2007 5:51 am

the one the I don't have him, but I go soon
to order it on internet, him,
must really be terrific? Type Wave
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

Number of posts : 1369

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptySat Sep 08, 2007 4:34 pm

This isn't usually a favorite for people but it's one of mine. The steadfastness and determination of the Ingalls family is an inspiration to me! I have always read this book aloud to my children in the winter. It never fails to help us appreciate our own winter -which is never as bad as theirs!

I love the bravery of Almanzo and Cap! I think it's funny that Almanzo knew that Cap thought Almanzo was older than he really was but Almanzo didn't bother to correct him! (Almanzo appreciated the respect!)

Holly

Last edited by on Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://toknowhimmore.blogspot.com/
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : "THE LONG WINTER" Bokmal10

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptySat Sep 08, 2007 7:28 pm

This is one of my favorites too, and I do not find it depressing at all. Quite the opposite. It's a book where you learn about strenght, determination and hope. All this with the adding of a strong family love and heroism. It's an excellent book.

And the end is just wonderful. happy1

Vanesa.

"THE LONG WINTER" Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptySun Sep 09, 2007 11:04 am

Hello again Vanessa!

The heroism is just wonderful!
Although I must admit that Caps' courage
meant more to me than dear old Almanzo's.
Almanzo's motives were not quite as pure.
(That seed wheat ya know!!)

I love cap! What a happy go lucky guy!
Could you tell that Laura liked him first? happy1

Holly
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptyMon Sep 10, 2007 12:27 am

Of course! She liked him first. And I can udnerstand why. He was very handsome and also heroic! May you have a more perfect guy? Almanzo was allright, but was a little more selfish than Cap. grinsmiley

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptyMon Sep 10, 2007 12:27 am

Vanesa wrote:
Of course! She liked him first. And I can understand why. He was very handsome and also heroic! May you have a more perfect guy? Almanzo was allright, but was a little more selfish than Cap. grinsmiley

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptyMon Sep 10, 2007 5:56 am

And of course Laura thought that Almanzo
was so much older- not even a consideration.
Laura was a school girl looking for fun-
not settling down to be some "old man's" wife! Ha!
My husband is 9 years older than I am so I can relate. Laughing

In the end though, you can see that
Laura and Almanzo were perfectly matched.
They suited each other.
Laura would have been way too boring for cap!
Oh, yeah- my husband and I are suited to each other too!
Thumbsup

I think one of the reasons that Almanzo
liked Laura was because she liked his horses.
What do you think?

:cowgirl:
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptyMon Sep 10, 2007 11:07 pm

Yes...It could be. Men who loves horses are so concerned about them, that they wouldn't marry anyone not interested in horses. They are pretty similar to men that are just crazy about cars...They likes girls who would speak about cars too! These are kind of fanaticism!!! ROTFL :haha:

I wish that the Show lwould portray that Laura liked Manly's horses first than himself. I would have been suited with Laura's tomboy character, that was a characteristic of her character at the TV Show . :scratch:

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 5:38 pm

This one was so hard to put down. I wish it would never had ended. (the book)
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptyFri Sep 14, 2007 5:13 am

Even though I've read it so many times, I still get excited and/or filled with dread when that hateful cloud appears on the horizon and Almanzo and Cap are still out there on the prairie!
Back to top Go down

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptySun Sep 16, 2007 6:49 pm

Yes, it had good suspense in it.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptyMon Sep 17, 2007 11:31 pm

I hated this awful , awful grey cloud, and the wind that would go with it...When Laura depicts how the cloud was coming you may almost feel the terror and desperation of the whole situation. The first blizzard that caught the children at school when the teacher was Miss Florence Garland was specially frightening. Did you remember how the school shaked all over when the wind caught it? Awful! affraid :faint2:

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptyFri Sep 21, 2007 9:07 am

Laura's descriptions are one of the reasons this is my favorite book out of the series. The cloud, the shaking of the buildings, the arduous task of hauling hay from the homestead into town, how raw their hands were from twisting hay for fuel, all draw the reader into the story.

I did a review of this book a while back. You can check it out here: http://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2007/07/long-winter-book-review.html, if you're interested.

Do you feel I captured its essence?

Cheryl

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptyFri Sep 21, 2007 9:10 am

I'll check it out later- thanks for the link!
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptyFri Sep 21, 2007 11:26 am

bethandmanly wrote:
I did a review of this book a while back. You can check it out here: http://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2007/07/long-winter-book-review.html, if you're interested.

Do you feel I captured its essence?

Cheryl

Most definitely! Good review! I left a comment on your blog.
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptyFri Sep 21, 2007 11:28 am

Vanesa wrote:
IThe first blizzard that caught the children at school when the teacher was Miss Florence Garland was specially frightening. Did you remember how the school shaked all over when the wind caught it? Awful! affraid :faint2:

Vanesa.

Yes, and I love how Cap KNEW they were headed in the wrong direction!

I've experienced a South Dakota blizzard. I'll write about it sometime.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptyFri Sep 21, 2007 11:32 am

Prairie Wind wrote:
I've experienced a South Dakota blizzard. I'll write about it sometime.

That would be very neat. Glad you liked my review.

Cheryl

Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptyFri Sep 21, 2007 11:47 pm

Sorry, Cheryl, I'm not registered yet, and I couldn't let the comment there, but here you have it:

"...I think you captured in few words, the essence of this book. You makes your readers feel like they MUST read "The Long Winter". You are able to make them feel the whole scare, hopes and desperation that Laura and her family felt these awful snowy days , from so long ago.

Laura's courage and love for life, Laura's hopes for a new day where sunshine should bright among the gray clouds of a terrifying blizzard, could be grasped in your excellent review about one of her best books.

But all "Little House Books" are this way: sunshine , a bright great sunshine appearing little by little, but without fadding away, among the gray clouds of a terrifying blizzard, announcing that if today things seems to turn to bad, tomorrow they must change to good. This is life too. And this is the eternal message of "Little House Books". Strenght; courage; hope for a new day, for a "Christmas in May" that could erase in a blink, all the bad moments experienced..."

Vanesa.

P.S: What a nice, nice review, Cheryl! One f the best I've ever read! Cheer happy1

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptySat Sep 22, 2007 12:17 am

Thanks Vanesa. I'm glad you liked it that much. I do love that book. I guess it shows.

Cheryl

Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptySat Sep 22, 2007 5:10 am

Vanessa, Yours was a pretty nice review, too!

Last night, I started reading through the series to my little boy.
We usually wait till the first day of Winter but not this year!
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptySat Sep 22, 2007 11:25 pm

Thank you, Cheryl and Prairie Wind. But I must do better, since English is not my first language .

Vanesa. Wave

Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" EmptySun Sep 23, 2007 5:03 am

Vanesa, I think you're doing fine!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"THE LONG WINTER" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" Empty

Back to top Go down

"THE LONG WINTER"
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next