Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"THE LONG WINTER"

Go down 
+14
Honeybee
Krissy
laurasangel
Savannah
Kristina
Rhonda
Prairie Dweller
Gin
Farmer Girl
bethandmanly
Vanesa
Prairie Wind
ChristinaAL
Carol
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 Headac10

"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 12:03 pm

I guess this book will make you really appreciate how lucky we have it today...& we really do have it easy!

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 1:16 pm

This is my favorite book of the series. It also makes me think of the LHOP episode, The Christmas They Never Forgot", which is such a crazy episode, because if they got that much snow they sure wouldn't be worrying about how to get to their Christmas presents. HeeHee

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 12:08 am

Hahaha! That's RIGHT! I've never thought about that! Maybe they already had fd supplies to face a really long and hard snowstorm? HeeHee grinsmiley

Vanesa.

"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 2:58 am

Been long time, since I read any of the LHOTP series. I did, remember, like reading The Long Winter. I should re-read all of LHOTP series soon. To refresh my memory.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 3:45 pm

I read the series once a year. They get dearer every time.

"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 MarilynKeeper "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 5:38 pm

This one remains my favorite. I love seeing Almanzo as the hero.

Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 3:51 pm

This book has a new meaning for me now that I have been to DeSmet and seen the town. I can now picture how far the kids had to walk home from school and where everyone lived in relation to each other. It seems like places are farther apart when they aren't very far at all. But I guess being in a blizzard can make "across the street" seem like a mile.

Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 5:45 pm

I have never read this book Ooops
Maybe now that it's winter, it's a good time to read it :)

"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 Long-winter

"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 Horses10
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 5:49 pm

NOPE...wait til summer when its SO hot you want to sit in snow. I always read it in the summer, but I'm a little strange.

"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 6:12 pm

Gin wrote:
NOPE...wait til summer when its SO hot you want to sit in snow. I always read it in the summer, but I'm a little strange.

That actually makes more sense! lol

"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 Horses10
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 7:37 pm

Carol, you are in California. You have no idea what winter is, lol.
I read it in the winter. When everyone is complaining about this and that, it is good to read this book and see what the Ingalls had to endure. It was a far harder time than we ever have. I always feel grateful for all of the modern conveniences of winter while reading this book.
Read it Carol, you'll love it.

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 10:07 pm

The last time I read it was in March 2007. Definitely time to read it again. It's my favorite.

Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 8:47 pm

I guess we should be lucky.We really don't have it all so bad.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
ChristineLovesLHOTP
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
ChristineLovesLHOTP

Number of posts : 227
Mood : "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 10:24 pm

This was probably one of my favorite books. The way it was written almost makes you feel as if you were there.
Yes it was depressing and life was hard. But that was frontier life.

BTW....my favorite part of the book was when Pa helped himself to the wheat that Almanzo and Royal had hidden in the wall!!
Back to top Go down
bestshowever
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 50

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 11:47 am

The Long Winter is one awesome book. So much to think about when reading it.

One thing that strikes me is the navigation to the farm that had the wheat. On a featureless prairie with very few landmarks, and all white with snow. Coming back, even if they found a constellation to navigate by, they storm clouds started covering up the stars! Remarkable.

The fact that they didn't lost anyone to starvation, a miracle.

Laura writes, she feels "dull and stupid." That's not meer malnutrition, but I bet it was starvation starting to set in. Carrie's health problems were most likely the effects of near-starvation on a young growing body.

The Christmas in May when the train finally got through. Can you imagine the digestive problems after all of that rich food? Bet the outhouse was a busy place after dinner!

Here's a thought:
If Almanzo and Cap wasn't able to make the deal with the farmer to buy the wheat, anybody think there would have been some killing going on? Maybe one of them had a Colt in his jacket and said, "We'll get that wheat one way or the other." Or if they returned to town empty handed, would the townspeople have arranged a mob to go get it by force? Starvation can drive people to desparation.

This book would have made a killer movie. Would really take a talented writer to get into the psychology, the desperation, the fear of the Ingalls and the town. The ending would make a great adventure story.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 9:23 pm

I just read this book. I don't know if i could handle living in them times. During cold winter time. I think id go stir crazy. We have really good. We are lucky.

Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7855

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 EmptyWed May 17, 2017 11:50 am

I just finished listening to the audiobook of The Long Winter. I like listening to audiobooks on my long drives to and from work, and it was nice to have a LHOTP book to listen to. It can be interesting having female narrators try to do men's voices, but the narrator of this book did an excellent job voicing Pa, Mr. Edwards, and the other men in the book.
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 EmptySat May 27, 2017 10:21 pm

This is the next book, I'll be reading. Must wait until June 1st. I'm reading Laura Ingalls Wilder books every month. I'm almost done with BTSOSL.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
forn
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 EmptyMon May 03, 2021 12:59 am

This is a favorite of mine also. Partly because I like snow, although this is a tough survival story. I wonder if a couple of things are exaggerations. Does snow really pile up to the rooftops? I'm sure that's possible.

But every time Laura describes it snowing it's a complete whiteout and no one can see three feet ahead of them, or any of the other buildings. That seems hard for me to believe. Not that there can be a whiteout, but that it happens about every time it snows.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

"THE LONG WINTER"
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3