Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"

Go down 
+6
Vanesa
GrandDuchessOlga
emilyanneoftheprairie
JW
ChristinaAL
Carol
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" Happy010

"THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" Empty
PostSubject: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptyMon Feb 12, 2007 11:57 pm

"THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" 8thBook

Laura is teaching school, and it's terrifying! Most of the students are taller than she is, and she must sleep away from home for the first time. Laura is miserable, but the money is needed to keep Mary in a college for the blind. And every Friday -- no matter what the weather -- Almanzo Wilder arrives to take Laura home to her family for the weekend. Laura and Almanzo are courting, and even though she's not yet sixteen, she knows that this is a time for new beginnings.

==========

This thread is for discussing "These Happy Golden Years".

"THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" Horses10
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2757

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptyTue Feb 13, 2007 1:07 am

I love, LOVE this book! My favorite in the entire series! I think it's so sweet how Laura and Almanzo fall in love, and the whole time, Laura is telling Almanzo (and herself) that she is only going with him to get home, and then when she's home to stay, she misses it. I love how she tricks Nellie Oleson too, LOL - they got some of LIW's feistiness (sp?) carried over into the show, maybe with the mudfight? LOL. I also love the chapter about Christmas, and the one about Laura's leaving to get married. I can feel the tension in the air as they have their wedding dinner with the family, all knowing that Laura's leaving - they're happy for her, yet sad too b/c they'll miss her. Wonderful, wonderful book!

"THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" ChristinaKeeper2 "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptyTue Feb 13, 2007 6:00 pm

Me too, I love this one! Love

"THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" Horses10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptyTue Feb 13, 2007 6:07 pm

Oh yes, I like this one too. Maybe my favourite but I need to read them again to decide...
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" Happy011

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptyWed Feb 14, 2007 4:02 pm

I Love this one too I started to read the series again so i'll read this one again now i'm reading Farmer Boy

"THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" Jacobk10"THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" Jacob210
Back to top Go down
emilyanneoftheprairie
Sid's Girl
Sid's Girl

Number of posts : 3538

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptyThu Aug 02, 2007 11:24 am

my second favorite out of all the books!
~*emilyanne*~

"THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" Ifyou
I want to be the best, so whatever comes with that, I’ll have to accept. ~Sidney Crosby
"THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" Cute-2
Back to top Go down
GrandDuchessOlga
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
GrandDuchessOlga

Number of posts : 404

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptyThu Aug 02, 2007 2:15 pm

This one is my favourite!!! I´ve read it about 3 times and I love the relationship between Laura and Almanzo... so sweet

"THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" Audrey
Back to top Go down
emilyanneoftheprairie
Sid's Girl
Sid's Girl

Number of posts : 3538

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptyFri Aug 03, 2007 12:52 pm

i have read it alot 2!

"THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" Ifyou
I want to be the best, so whatever comes with that, I’ll have to accept. ~Sidney Crosby
"THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" Cute-2
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptyFri Aug 03, 2007 6:13 pm

One of the better LHOTP books. But it's hard to decide which one of them I like the most, since everyone of them has something that makes it different to the others.

This one is excellent for Laura is no more a girl, and you see her blossoming as a very bright and firm woman. The interesting thing, if one compares the books and the TV Show, is that Laura hated to teach in real life...and in the show, she loves it. In real life she was waiting a miracle to stop teaching and in the show she barely accepts she must stop to teach in order of being a mother for Rose... :shifty: . In the books, she is not sure she wants to marry a farmer, and in the show, she dreams to marry one... :haha:

Vanesa.

"THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
GrandDuchessOlga
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
GrandDuchessOlga

Number of posts : 404

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptyMon Aug 06, 2007 1:07 pm

And in the tv show Laura loves Almanzo first while in real life Almanzo was in love with Laura first...

"THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" Audrey
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

Number of posts : 1369

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptySat Sep 08, 2007 4:28 pm

Oh! There are so many things that I love about this book!
I can't believe how brave Laura was and how she never complained to anyone about the horrible family she had to stay with in the beginning! When ever I read the first part of the book it helps to brace up and face whatever it is that I have to do!

Last edited by on Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://toknowhimmore.blogspot.com/
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptySat Sep 08, 2007 7:20 pm

I wondered about it too, and the whole situation made me sick. Just imagine if this awful woman would attacked Laura! It never happened, God thanks, but it may have happened.

The knife one was a scaring scene! affraid Poor Laura! Imagine if Pa would known what she was going through. Blue

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptySun Sep 09, 2007 5:56 am

Oh I know! :faint2: Can you imagine!?
Complaining simply was NOT allowed in that family
but I know Pa would never have wanted Laura
to hide such a thing!
Wow. What a writer Laura was!
You could just feel the cold hatred of that
miserable Brewster woman!
My cheeks burned along with Laura's
when Mrs. Brewster refused to even
acknowledge Laura's question!
Laura was just so determined to finish
what she began AND to help Mary go through school.
Her love for Mary is so precious!

Well on to happier scenes-
my favorite Laura/ Mary scene in this book
is the "Kitten up the skirt"! Laughing
Mary says, "Laura, will you never learn how to behave in church?
"No, Mary. I never will!"
Good ole Mary. Mary and Ma were so much alike
and Laura and Pa were so much alike too.
Pa and Laura longed to go further West.
BTW- Pa is my favorite character!

reader

Holly
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptyMon Sep 10, 2007 12:36 am

I'm glad that the show got this right: Mary was a lot like Ma was, and Laura was a lot like Pa.

As for my favorite character, it's hard to pick only one. I love Pa, and like certain of his qualities. But I think that Ma was also great, trying that her girls would have a good education and were well behaved wherever they were: in a Palace , or in the middle of High prairie. I just love them both.

By the way, I was thinking about this issue: Laura was like Pa. Mary was like Ma...And what about poors Carrie and Grace? I can't catch their personnalities as well as I did with the elder sisters! :sad5:

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptyMon Sep 10, 2007 5:48 am

Yeah. Poor Carrie and Grace. :sleep:
They definitely are not the main characters.
I love the way that Carrie and Laura become
closer after Mary's blindness though.
I also like it when Carrie tells Laura that she
does have beautiful hair and again when she asks Laura
"aren't you glad you didn't change out of your dress?
(when Almanzo showed up!)
You can just feel the sisterly closeness there.
I always wished I would have had a little sister! Love

When I visited Little Town on the prairie,
the tour guide showed a well known picture of Carrie- an original.
She commented that Carrie must not
have liked the picture too well because on the back of it,
in Carries own handwriting, Carrie wrote,
"burn this!"
I thought that showed that 'Poor little white faced Carrie
did indeed have a sense of humor! Wink

And then when Grace was grown,
when addressing Rose, she refered to herself as "Aunty Fat".
Now, you really have to have a sense of humor to be able to say that!
so maybe at least Grace took after pa.

I love pa so much because his cheerfulness
always kept the families spirits up-
and because I never had a dad growing up,
he was sort of my role model.
He was my image of what a dad would be-
a friend, but yet there to correct but not angry and mean. 🎻
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptyMon Sep 10, 2007 11:23 pm

Yes. Carrie was a very interesting person. I read about her working in a paper when young and having very firm politic opinion. The paper owner wanted that all his employes shared the same ideas he had (that were the opposited of Carrie's ones! grinsmiley ) and she just didn't gave up in her convictions. But he respected her and didn't force her to change.

I also read that she tried to have a claim, but that since her health was not very strong, she must give it up. People said Carrie was very active, happy and talkative. She was a real character! And she even knew how to write. She wrote for the newspaper, how first settlements near De Smet area were, and how her family began its life there. She was a tallented storyteller, something that the Ingalls girls must have inherited from their Pa. reader

When Carrie married, Caroline and Mary missed her a lot, for she was very merry and the house looked a little sad and empty without Carrie's lively speech. Caroline and Mary really missed Carrie's stories. She must have had a lot of sense of humour as you've said.

And Grace was a merry person too. She send a pic too Laura where her husband and her seemes to be sourrounded of great amounts of snow. She wrote below the pic: "Lost in the snow". It was a piture from 1909.

Yes, I agree. Pa was a lot in their characters. Wink

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptyThu Oct 04, 2007 3:59 pm

Vanesa wrote:
And Grace was a merry person too. She send a pic too Laura where her husband and her seemes to be sourrounded of great amounts of snow. She wrote below the pic: "Lost in the snow". It was a piture from 1909.

Yes, I agree. Pa was a lot in their characters. Wink

Vanesa.

I've never seen that picture, Vanesa! Oh, there's so many factual books about the Ingalls that I would love to own!

Holly
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptyThu Oct 04, 2007 6:33 pm

I'll try to find it for you. It's really funny!

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptyMon Oct 08, 2007 7:05 pm

This was a wonderful book.
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 7:23 am

This was another one that I didn't read as a child because of the cover. I didn't like Almanzo's suit! :haha:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 5:45 am

I love this book....I loved how Laura's true spirit shone through whilst she was away teaching at Brewsters. such a harsh environment compared to her home life and of course Manly making the trips to collect her every weekend
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 7:40 am

Hello again, Indi!

I've read this book every year for... years! grinsmiley
What a drastic contrast between the Brewster and Ingall's home!
And can you imagine sleeping in some married couple's bedroom?!
And you just met them!?
And you knew the wife didn't like you?!
Inconceivable!!!!

help

Oh Laura, you were so brave!

"THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" Hollykeeper
Back to top Go down
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

Number of posts : 853

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 12:45 pm

I love this book! Even though I've read it many times I'm still captured by the book and have a difficult time putting it down!

I always feel so sorry for Almanzo at the beginning of this book! I always feel that Laura was a tiny bit unintentionally mean to him, but he was so sweet and still kept coming to pick her up at the Brewsters because he knew how much it meant to her to get away from the place for two days. I do though think it was good of Laura to tell Almanzo that she wasn't interested in him. But I still feel sorry for him! ~laughs~

Laura does so much for Pa and Ma in this book and helps them considerably. I love it in the end of the book when Laura is able to keep her pay, but doesn't feel comfortable keeping it.

Oh, and the horses! I just love the chapters where they're breaking the horses! I'm always right there with Laura hopping- maybe leaping is a better word!- into the buggy before the horses bolt!

The trick she plays on Nellie by spooking the horses! :Hahaha: That is most definitely something that I would've done, even if it wasn't too nice! Sometimes being a bit of a stinker is more fun than being good!

What I don't like about this book is the way Laura writes about Reverend Brown. Obviously I have no idea if what she says about him is true, but I don't think that she should've mentioned his long and dull sermons so many times... even if it were true... I just think that if an unsaved child is reading the book they may get the wrong idea...

I also really like the part in church where the kitten crawls up Laura's hoop skirt!

The last few chapters of the book a little bit bittersweat... I had a very hard time reading them! You read what people have been giving to Laura and Almanzo and what Laura really enjoys, and then a few years later she loses it all, but the bread plate, in the fire. That must have been devastating.

"THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" PDKeeper
Back to top Go down
http://avonleavignettes.com
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 9:06 am

Prairie Dweller wrote:

I always feel so sorry for Almanzo at the beginning of this book!

Oh I know! Laura was just so clueless at first! It really shows how innocent and modest she was to not realize she had caught Almanzo's eye! I always wondered why Ma didn't inform Laura of Almanzo's intentions. I guess Ma figured that Laura already knew or maybe Ma was too shy to talk about it?

Prairie Dweller wrote:

Oh, and the horses! I just love the chapters where they're breaking the horses! I'm always right there with Laura hopping- maybe leaping is a better word!- into the buggy before the horses bolt!

Me, too! That's why I'm now the keeper of Almanzo's Morgan horses!

Prairie Dweller wrote:

What I don't like about this book is the way Laura writes about Reverend Brown.

She certainly did have strong feelings against "hollering preachers". :shifty: But you know Laura, she was always one to speak her mind!

Prairie Dweller wrote:

I also really like the part in church where the kitten crawls up Laura's hoop skirt!

That has got to be my favorite part of the book! How hilarious! Can you imagine? I know what it's like to try and hold back laughter in a solemn assembly! Sometimes I just get struck with something funny to such an extent that I have to take a little trip to the ladies room to get myself under control. I guess I'm like Laura... I will never learn how to behave. ROTFL

"THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" Hollykeeper
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2757

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 12:30 pm

Prairie Wind wrote:
Prairie Dweller wrote:

I always feel so sorry for Almanzo at the beginning of this book!

Oh I know! Laura was just so clueless at first! It really shows how innocent and modest she was to not realize she had caught Almanzo's eye! I always wondered why Ma didn't inform Laura of Almanzo's intentions. I guess Ma figured that Laura already knew or maybe Ma was too shy to talk about it?

I wondered about that too. In the "Sweet Sixteen" episode of the TV show, there is a scene of Laura and Ma talking. I think maybe it was a combination of what you said - they assumed Laura already knew (because Almanzo did ask to walk her home from church twice at the end of "Little Town on the Prairie"), and Ma seemed very serious in the books, so she may been shy speaking about such things.

"THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" ChristinaKeeper2 "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS"   "THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS" Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next