HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log in  

Share | 

Episode where Mary goes blind

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident

Number of posts : 1035

PostSubject: Re: Episode where Mary goes blind   Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:03 pm

I think dressers just came with mirrors back then...even now, some of them.
I think May did her best work then too...she was always the "good" girl and this made her really spread her wings. When she went blind and started yelling, "I can't breath" I really felt that..how scary it must be.
I didn't think it was believable when they had her marry and have a baby, Mary was right, with 2 blind parents, it would be almost impossible to raise it well..you do need to see things.

In Little House tradition, they just had her lose them, by miscarriage snd burning in a fire but I feel they didn't need the wedding to have her work with Adam and the school...maybe when Adam got his sight back, it would have been more logical.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner

Number of posts : 1263
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Episode where Mary goes blind   Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:40 pm

I cried watching part 1 today when Caroline and Laura said goodbye to Mary as she was heading off to the school. Mary breaks my heart when she begs Charles not to leave her at the blind school. cryB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 8953
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Episode where Mary goes blind   Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:10 am

Missy really came into her own as an actress in this one. She was REALLY good!

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident

Number of posts : 1035

PostSubject: Re: Episode where Mary goes blind   Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:00 am

I think for obvious reasons, Mary's character got a bit less time, but she was excellent in these shows, she captured the emotions many would feel very well, the shock, the reality, the depression, the hope. I thought her range of ability was greater than MG at the time. Just being the "good girl" is dull at times, but they gave her more meaty roles later, and Michael was so proud of her.
I agree with her when she said, later you saw Mary and thought "What awful thing is going to happen?" They lost 2 babies, fires, kicked out of their school, she suffered disappointment when her eyesight didn't return and then Adam's did. I'm not really sure where they ended up up but I wish they had one more special with Ma and Pa and everyone coming for a big aniv party or something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
reneerose
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 52

PostSubject: "I'll Be Waving As You Drive Away" (Parts 1 and 2)    Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:10 pm

Krissy wrote:
I wish at least they would of done few esp of of Mary being in the blind school.

I thought they should have done more episodes with Mary at the blind school as well.  Cramming it all into that one episode didn't seem to make much sense. I would have liked to see much more slow buildup to the scenes where Mary discovers Adam is also blind and would have been interesting to see what other things were taught at a blind school besides the touchstone stuff they showed in that 1 episode.  I don't know if I have a faulty memory about Part 2 having been much longer? when Mary was learning how to walk around....like there was an additional scene where Adam taught her to walk while feeling the sides of the walls?

I though it was so funny and strange later when when they compressed time again in Season 7 when Adam regained his sight in 1 episode and then 3 episodes later he's done with law school and ready to practice! laugh3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor

Number of posts : 20204
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Episode where Mary goes blind   Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:54 pm

'I'll Be Waving As You Drive Away' was on today, and as I always do, I looked up the information on imdb.com for the actors, trivia and such.  I was a bit shocked to see that the young man who played Seth Barton, Robert Kenneally was born in 1940, making him 22 years older than MSA!  We've had discussions about Dean being 10 years older than MG and the awkwardness there when they had to do the kissing scene in 'Sweet Sixteen', but the awkwardness with MSA and Robert Kenneally has never been brought up.  Some might think it's no big deal, but when you see that he is only 4 years younger than Michael Landon and one month younger than Merlin Olsen, it makes you go, 'hmmmm....' scratchead

CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2017-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva

Number of posts : 7312
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Episode where Mary goes blind   Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:45 pm

Wow! He looked really young in that episode.

Photobucket
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 6963
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Episode where Mary goes blind   Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:21 am

I can't believe the actor was that much older! They sure made him look young to be able to fit the part. I wonder if he was perfect for the role and the crew decided to work with his age or if they couldn't find anyone else good enough for the role, that was closer to Melissa Sue Anderson's age.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MankatoJoe
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

Number of posts : 418
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Episode where Mary goes blind   Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:43 pm

A good ending to this episode with Mary going on to become a teacher.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Episode where Mary goes blind   

Back to top Go down

Episode where Mary goes blind
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2