Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"THE GIFT"

Go down 
+9
Honeybee
ChristineLovesLHOTP
amyk
Krissy
alexczarn
Vanesa
Savannah
Farmer Girl
Carol
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : "THE GIFT" Happy010

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptyThu Jan 17, 2008 6:49 pm

“THE GIFT”
"THE GIFT" Flwrpurdown

The school children have saved up some money to buy the Reverend a birthday present. They give the money to Mary, who is in charge of buying the present. Laura convinces Mary to buy something that they could sell to people with the hope that they could buy Reverend Alden a better gift. The plan backfires when they are unable to sell anything. Mary and Laura explain to the Reverend what they did. On Sunday, Reverend Alden thanks the children for buying a wooden box that he could put his old Bible in.

"THE GIFT" Gift1

"THE GIFT" Gift2

"THE GIFT" Gift3

"THE GIFT" Bible

"THE GIFT" Gift4

"THE GIFT" Gift5

"THE GIFT" Gift6

"THE GIFT" Report Hello there! Here we are again. Well, I have to say that I really enjoyed this episode. It is funny seeing how Mary & Laura (specially Laura) try and sell the medicine. My favorite scene at the end is when Reverend Alden is talking about how when one is a minister everyone tries to give you a bible and then you see Nellie give the present to Harriett who gives it to Willie who gives it to Nels all while Doc Baker is watching them! ROTFL

"THE GIFT" Horses10

Last edited by on Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Farmer Girl
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Farmer Girl

Number of posts : 2578
Mood : "THE GIFT" Goodsi10

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptyFri Jan 18, 2008 1:42 pm

I think this is a pretty good episode. My favortie scene is the same as yours, Carol! The way Doc. Baker looks at them cracks me up!

"THE GIFT" FGKeeper

~ Home is the nicest word there is ~

"THE GIFT" Little
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
"THE GIFT" Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54426

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptyFri Jan 18, 2008 1:49 pm

That IS a funny scene! :Hahaha: Doc's face is priceless!

My niece, Rachel (who just turned 10!) does NOT like this episode. She watched it one time, and asked if we could skip it whenever we'd get to that one again! She says that Laura and Mary would never have taken the money, wouldn't have been so dishonest in trying to sell the medicines, and that she didn't like it that they had lied.

I loved how kind and gentle Rev. Alden was in his response to what had happened. What a sweet man.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : "THE GIFT" Bokmal10

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptyFri Jan 18, 2008 3:14 pm

I agree with Rachel, Savannah. But I think it IS funny, after all, and the moral is exactly this: the girls must never had to pick the money even if their intentions were good.

Vanesa.

"THE GIFT" Vanesa10
Back to top Go down

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 10:36 pm

I was kind of dissporant in mary in this esp....Seeing how she is the oldest and going along with this plane. seems kind of out her character..

anway's good esp tho!
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 7:09 pm

nah I dont really like it...

"THE GIFT" Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : "THE GIFT" Headac10

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 11:41 am

This is a good Episode!!.......Teaches you a lesson.Don't agree with what ur little sister say's lol

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

Number of posts : 538

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptyMon May 30, 2011 2:15 pm

Most of this episode I do not really love. It is just kind of so-so. But Revd. Alden is so sweet at the end and that is nice to see. However, I feel like the girls did not necessarily want to get the nice Bible because they love Revd. Alden so much, but more because they just wanted to give him something more expensive. I guess you could look at it like they wanted to do it out of love, but I kind of wonder....

Probably the best parts of this episode are the way Nels is so sarcastic about the nice Bible that Nellie and Willie are giving the Revd. I like his comments to the effect of God listening more to the Reverend's prayers because of that Bible or whatever he said. But then poor Nels gets stuck having to put it into his coat at the end. I also noticed the way Doc Baker was looking at that whole thing going on. Funny!

I can see Laura doing what she did to try to sell the medicine. Mary did not really do anything that bad in trying to sell it, although she should not have agreed to even get in on this kind of a deal. But I think the writers did a good job with her initially resisting and she only gave in after Laura convinced her through Pa's agreement about taking chances, having faith, etc.
Back to top Go down
ChristineLovesLHOTP
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
ChristineLovesLHOTP

Number of posts : 227

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 11:01 pm

I didn't care for this episode

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 11:04 pm

amyk wrote:
Most of this episode I do not really love. It is just kind of so-so. But Revd. Alden is so sweet at the end and that is nice to see. However, I feel like the girls did not necessarily want to get the nice Bible because they love Revd. Alden so much, but more because they just wanted to give him something more expensive. I guess you could look at it like they wanted to do it out of love, but I kind of wonder....

Probably the best parts of this episode are the way Nels is so sarcastic about the nice Bible that Nellie and Willie are giving the Revd. I like his comments to the effect of God listening more to the Reverend's prayers because of that Bible or whatever he said. But then poor Nels gets stuck having to put it into his coat at the end. I also noticed the way Doc Baker was looking at that whole thing going on. Funny!

I can see Laura doing what she did to try to sell the medicine. Mary did not really do anything that bad in trying to sell it, although she should not have agreed to even get in on this kind of a deal. But I think the writers did a good job with her initially resisting and she only gave in after Laura convinced her through Pa's agreement about taking chances, having faith, etc.

Ya,it was out of character for mary to do such a thing.She should HAVE not gave into laura.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 3:54 am

I like this episode. It's teaches a lesson. Not to lie. Also funny episode.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Ruth
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ruth

Number of posts : 2916
Mood : "THE GIFT" Pbucket

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 2:40 am

Good one!

haha Its funny where they say they have laryngitis.. greenS

Leaves "THE GIFT" RuthKeeper Leaves
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 4:15 am

Ruth wrote:
Good one!

yeah, that was funny. They couldn't pronounce it right. laugh3

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 11:00 am

Ruth wrote:
Good one!

yeah. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Davidccl
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Davidccl

Number of posts : 120
Mood : "THE GIFT" Indiff10

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 9:54 pm

There is one main thing I do not understand from this episode. They would easily be able to sell the medicine to Doctor Baker, although he was not in this episode at all, how come they never attempted to sell it to him?

Ying and Yang, Good and Evil, Light and Dark..  All are 2 sides to their own coin.  Niether can live with each other, but none can also live without the other.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitch.tv/dcat682
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 11:49 pm

Davidccl wrote:
There is one main thing I do not understand from this episode. They would easily be able to sell the medicine to Doctor Baker, although he was not in this episode at all, how come they never attempted to sell it to him?

I think those medicines were homeoàthic or something ...I thinkl I've heard it at some point of the episode. Not all doctors likes homeopathic medicine and are even against it... scratchead

Vanesa.

"THE GIFT" Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Ruth
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ruth

Number of posts : 2916
Mood : "THE GIFT" Pbucket

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 3:49 am

Vanesa wrote:
Davidccl wrote:

I think those medicines were homeoàthic or something ...I thinkl I've heard it at some point of the episode. Not all doctors likes homeopathic medicine and are even against it... scratchead

Vanesa.

That's what my Dad said..(He's a doctor)

Leaves "THE GIFT" RuthKeeper Leaves
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
"THE GIFT" MatthewRank
LauraIngallsfan

Number of posts : 9265

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptySat Mar 28, 2015 7:21 am

I enjoyed this episode... It teaches a good lesson that if you are in charge of money that isn't yours, that you should only do what you were entrusted to do with it. Laura and Mary both learned that the hard way.

I too think it was funny when the girls tried to pronounce laryngitis... you can see that a little bit after they do Charles kind of bites his lip... I think he was trying to keep from laughing!

I love the ending and how well Rev. Alden took the situation.. How he thought up the whole thing about how everyone gives him Bibles, and this time he was given a nice box for his Bible. As he is saying that, the Olesons are passing the expensive Bible they purchased for him back to Nels. It was funny to see Doc Baker watching as they passed it back!

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”  - Laura Ingalls Wilder

"THE GIFT" Laurai10
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/mylittlehouselibrary/
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptyFri Apr 30, 2021 9:42 pm

Oh, I love this episode. If only all people could extend the kind of grace that Rev. Alden extends to Laura and Mary at the end of the episode. And, while I know it was wrong of Laura to lie like she did, I can't help but laugh when she puts on that burlap sack and makes herself all dirty! Also love the remarks and snarky comments that Nels makes in this episode - but feel sorry for him, as he's the one left having to hide the Bible gift! It's funny the way Doc Baker is looking at Nels when Willie makes Nels take the Bible.
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptyFri Apr 30, 2021 9:44 pm

amyk wrote:
Who wrote this stupid comment?! (Yes, it was me!) My thoughts have obviously changed, as I just finished watching this episode tonight and loved it!
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptyFri Apr 30, 2021 9:46 pm

Vanesa wrote:
Davidccl wrote:
There is one main thing I do not understand from this episode.  They would easily be able to sell the medicine to Doctor Baker, although he was not in this episode at all, how come they never attempted to sell it to him?

Vanesa.
I don't even think they were really any kind of medicine.....that one bottle was 60% alcohol! I think it was probably all "quack" medicine. I think that was probably fairly common back in those days as they didn't likely have any kind of regulation of such things. Didn't people go around trying to sell fake medicines?
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62616

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" EmptyFri Apr 30, 2021 10:14 pm

Yup, there was definitely a market for fake medicine! Although with a high concentration of alcohol (and cocaine, in some cases), it no doubt made a body feel better. greenS
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"THE GIFT" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "THE GIFT"   "THE GIFT" Empty

Back to top Go down

"THE GIFT"
Page 1 of 1