Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bird Friendly Backyards

Go down 
+8
Vanesa
Prairie Dweller
flatbroke
Rhonda
Rob
JW
Lily
Carol
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Bird Friendly Backyards Happy010

Bird Friendly Backyards Empty
PostSubject: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 7:21 pm

Bird Friendly Backyards Birdfriend

Do any of you have any bird nests in your backyards? How about bird feaders?

We have about 4 bird nests by each post at the top of our porch. We also built a small bird house for a white dove that seemed to like our porch for some reason but she flew away one time and has not come since Blue

Because of the nests the birds built we bought bird food so they could have some and also put a small bowl of water by the corner of the fence and a little food nearby as well. The tree and plants are growing in that corner and in the spring, that corner seems to become a social spot for birds. One time there were about 9 small brown birds lined up and taking turns eating, drinking. Laughing It is really cute watching them.
I mean, what more do they want? They have water, food, plants nearby, a great spot for sitting and viewing the area. :sillySmiley:

Bird Friendly Backyards Horses10
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Bird Friendly Backyards LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Bird Friendly Backyards Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 7:42 pm

That's so cool, Carol. Those birds turn your backyard into a hot spot to hang out. LOL

One of my friends actually got into an argument with her neighbor who had a bird feeder hanging from the tree, my friend happened to have her clothline nearby, and yup, her clothes had the droppings of bird crap.
OhMy

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Bird Friendly Backyards Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 11:12 pm

No we don't have any nests on our Yard or Bird Feeders but we have this Tree they are Small Red Cherrys and once it's spring they eat em they are soft then but the they have Diareaha and guess what happens to our Cars?

Bird Friendly Backyards Jacobk10Bird Friendly Backyards Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62606
Mood : Bird Friendly Backyards Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 3:36 pm

I love birds. I put lots of food out and get all kinds of em. There used to be a flock of about 50 wild turkeys that would come into the yard. That got a bit messy. Right now my favorites are the pair of pileated woodpeckers that come and eat suet every day. They're just plain big!

Bird Friendly Backyards 5035_250
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Lily

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 5:16 pm

That's a really cool picture you posted, Rob. Is it yours.....taken from your backyard?

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 5:21 pm

No, I got it from Google images. Different yard, different suet, same bird. Cool
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Lily

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 5:36 pm

Oh, ok. And I thought what a great shot you took. ROTFL

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21124
Mood : Bird Friendly Backyards Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 6:46 pm

Rob wrote:
No, I got it from Google images. Different yard, different suet, same bird. Cool

WOW, that bird gets around huh?!?!?! :Hahaha:

Bird Friendly Backyards Rhonda10Bird Friendly Backyards Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 8:09 pm

RHONDA ROTFL :Hahaha:

Bird Friendly Backyards Jacobk10Bird Friendly Backyards Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 8:35 pm

Lily wrote:
Oh, ok. And I thought what a great shot you took. ROTFL

He's big but he's fast. Cool
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Lily

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 9:02 pm

Oh Rob!! Frying pan

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptySun Feb 03, 2008 12:57 am

Newhere Hey everybody! I love birds, too! We have hummingbirds that usually migrate further south in the fall. We've had two stick around this winter, which is nice! We also have goldfinches that appear in Jan and stay 2 or 3 months. By the time they start getting their beautiful yellow color, they head back home :sad5: .
Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Number of posts : 2648
Mood : Bird Friendly Backyards Party010

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptyMon Feb 04, 2008 1:55 am

I wouldn't mind having a bird friendly yard, but living in a mobile home community, the neighbors might not be so happy about it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptyMon Feb 04, 2008 2:19 am

Even if you live in a mobile home, there are some things you can do to have a "bird friendly" yard. You could have a hummingbird feeder/regular bird feeder and some potted plants that attract hummingbirds and butterflies. I've got some whiskey barrel planters and each one holds quite a few plants.
Back to top Go down
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

Number of posts : 853

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptyMon Feb 04, 2008 11:35 am

Here, birdy, birdy, birdy!
Bird Friendly Backyards Pb1
Does that answer your question?

Other than my cats, yes my backyard is very bird friendly. I have a row of lilac trees, a willow tree, mulberry trees, apple trees, and ash trees. I live in the country... During the winter I feed the birds and a get a whole slew of birds. I've seen five sets of cardinals (male and female) at the feeder.

I also have a small-ish flower garden. During the fall, I dug up a section of the yard to make into a flower garden. I'm planning to plant flowers that will attract bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds so that I can take photos of them.

I got a hummingbird last year. I had the feeder hung near the kitchen window (there are lilac trees right in front of the house), and as my family and I ate supper we could watch the hummingbirds zooming around.

I'm really looking forward this year to taking more photos of hummingbirds. I got some nice ones last year, but this year with my new larger flower garden, I'll put a feeder there, that way the background won't be the road. :b

Bird Friendly Backyards PDKeeper
Back to top Go down
http://avonleavignettes.com

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptyMon Feb 04, 2008 1:10 pm

I really envy you living in the country. We live in S Texas (in town) and we don't have much of a variety of birds. Mostly sparrows and doves in the summer. The doves hog all the food! I'm planning to get a feeder that closes when doves or squirrels try to feed from it. Every blue moon I'll get a cardinal. Oh, I have Titmice, too. They're lots of fun! We have Green Jays out in the country that occasionally come to town. They're related to Jays...large green/black/yellow/blue birds that I really enjoy! And hummingbirds! I love them.

I also love taking pictures of hummers and butterflies. I never get tired of it 📷 !
What kind of hummers do you have? Mostly ruby-throated here. Every now and then we'll have black-chinned and buff-bellied. I've heard the Western portion of the US has many varieties.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Bird Friendly Backyards Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptyMon Feb 04, 2008 10:12 pm

I have a colibri (humming-bird) nest right in my balcony. He/she comes every summer to put some eggs there. Every time the bird appears, he will enter right in the middle of my living room, humming and dancing graciously. We must go and wave to him, a thing that seems to please him. Then, he /she put his eggs there and we'll see the little colibri heads popping out their nest. After it, he/she teach them how to fly and they goes away until the next summer . Their little nest always remains here, waiting for little new birds , every summertime. I really love these little humming-birds! Bliss

Vanesa.

Bird Friendly Backyards Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 6:41 pm

Our neighbors have a bird house and also a purch on their back porch for their parrot, lol. They also have a little pond with a deck around it. It's really cool.

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 7:08 pm

Sabrina wrote:
The doves hog all the food!

Yes they do! When we had a dove for a while... it sure ate a lot of the food and what a mess it made....

One time my dad was watering the grass and the dove went and rested on top of his hat and stayed there while my dad kept on watering! It was too funny. We loved hearing it coo though... so sweet. Love

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Bird Friendly Backyards Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 9:29 am

I would love to have a bird friendly backyard but we have two dogs that have the run of the yard and pretty much keep the birds away. Also, I have bought two "squirrel proof" feeders and the squirrels STILL manage to get into the food. That drives me crazy!! So I just kind of gave up. If anyone has some tips or an actual feeder that they know of that truly does keep the squirrels away, I'd love to hear about it! Thumbsup

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 10:24 am

I have a Great Dane that makes it difficult to have flowers. He marks everything, which of course, kills the plants. mad The birds like to eat his food when he's finished. It's fun to watch them. Sometimes Samson (our dog) will just lay there and watch them eat and other times he will chase them off. I guess it depends which mood he's in! I like squirrels, but they can be annoying! They eat the food as fast as the doves do.
Back to top Go down
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

Number of posts : 853

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 11:12 am

Sabrina: What kind of hummers do you have?
I read that only the ruby throated hummers live in my area, but I never once saw a hummer with a red throat. I know that the females don't have a red throat, but it seems odd then that only the females would eat at the feeder.
Sabrina, is that a black swallowtail in your avatar?

I don't get any squirrels in my yard. I don't have any trees that would attract them.... I'm not sure on this, you'd have to ask, but I think that if you buy birdseed that smells like cherry that it's supposed to help keep squirrels from eating the birdseed. It would make some sense. Birds can't smell, so why sell birdseed that smells like cherry?

Bird Friendly Backyards PDKeeper
Back to top Go down
http://avonleavignettes.com
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 11:27 am

I have two big dogs in my backyard so when the dove was camping out in our backyard... it was a little annoying trying to check on the dove several times during the day to make sure he wouldn't get eaten by one of them.... since they HAVE killed a bird before Blue

The dove would mainly be on the little house we made for it at the top of the porch but sometimes it would go down and stand in the hammock and other places that were very reachable to the dogs specially the husky one.... I think there were about 3 close calls.... OhMy

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 2:24 am

Prairie Dweller...

I have mostly ruby throated. Occasionally I'll see buff bellied and blackchinned. I found out that buff bellied (which are large greenish hummers) don't migrate. We've had one here all winter. It's weird that you haven't seen a male ruby throat! Then again, I think there's far more females than males. Have you seen any with black throats? They look black until the sun reflects on their throat. Blackchinned have purple throats in the sunlight. I just love hummers! Do you have a lot when they are migrating? We can get within inches of them when they are passing through in large numbers. I guess by then, they are desperate for food and don't care how close you get!

Hey, I'd like to see some pictures of your flower garden this spring!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 2:27 am

Carol...

I've seen pictures of birds doing things like that in my "Birds and Blooms" magazine. It's strange, but neat!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards Empty

Back to top Go down

Bird Friendly Backyards
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next