Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bird Friendly Backyards

Go down 
+8
Vanesa
Prairie Dweller
flatbroke
Rhonda
Rob
JW
Lily
Carol
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 2:37 am

Oh, I forgot! Prairie Dweller...
Yes, that's a Black Swallowtail. My kids and I raised some 2 summers ago. I planted parsley and when the butterflies laid eggs and they hatched, we would put them into a 10 gallon aquarium. We would keep fresh parsley in there. We had the priviledge of seeing some hatch! What an amazing thing! This picture was one that wasn't quite ready to fly yet.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62606
Mood : Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 6:56 am

Squirrels love my backyard. Mostly black squirrels. One morning a while back I looked out and saw 18 of 'em! They get sunflower seeds, peanuts and peanut butter.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 6:59 am

That's a beautiful butterfly, Sabrina. When we were kids, my sister and I would keep a lookout for cocoons in our yard, then wait for them to hatch out. I don't remember any Black Swallowtails right offhand, but we had lots of Tiger Swallowtails and Monarchs.
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 9:50 am

Rob wrote:
Squirrels love my backyard. Mostly black squirrels. One morning a while back I looked out and saw 18 of 'em! They get sunflower seeds, peanuts and peanut butter.

When are you going to come and get my squirrel, Rob? Mine squirrel is still hanging around my car!! :sad5:

I'm not sure about this, but does anyone know that squirrels have very bad memories? They seem to always digging people's lawns, looking for their buried nuts.
Huh?

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."

Last edited by on Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 10:42 am

You're right about the bad memories. Of all the squirrels in my yard, not a single one has ever remembered my birthday. :sillySmiley:
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 10:55 am

Your avatar is just beautiful, Sabrina! Makes me 'think Spring'...and that's a good thing! Wink Your kids are lucky to have a mom so involved with nature!

LOL, Lily...yes, MY squirrels have very bad manners! Their mommies certainly haven't taught them very well!Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Mecontent09 And they're theives too! grinsmiley

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54423
Mood : Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 12:01 pm

Rob wrote:
You're right about the bad memories. Of all the squirrels in my yard, not a single one has ever remembered my birthday. :sillySmiley:

And after all you do for them! Feed them day after day, and what do you get for it? Heartache! Nothing but heartache!

We don't see many black squirrels here. Mostly we have the red squirrels, and gray squirrels. But about a mile from here, there are a lot of the black squirrels! The red squirrels in my yard love to tease the cats. They'll come right by the window, and walk past it, right in view of the cats. It drives Thomas nuts! He loves to go out and chase squirrels, birds, other cats . . . . anything that moves. Last year, though, one bird got tired of being chased, and dive-bombed Thomas. He hasn't chased a bird since! :Hahaha:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 12:53 pm

I've never heard of black squirrels, Rob. I don't know what kind we have here, they're brown....While we were on vacation in Tennessee a few years ago, we saw several white squirrels in a yard! I've never seen anything like that before. I think I have the picture somewhere.

Thanks Amy! Some of my kids enjoy nature too and some are just tired of my camera!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 1:02 pm

Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Blacksquirrel

Here's a black squirrel.

Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Redsquirrel

The Red Squirrel

Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Graysquirrel

And the Gray Squirrel
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 1:07 pm

I"ve also seen flying squirrels in the backyard at night. Here's an actual one...

Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Flying_squirrel

And an artist's rendition...

Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Image98
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 1:12 pm

Talk about artistic license. grinsmiley

That first picture amazes me, Rob - that squirrel is in somebody's HOUSE!

How cool that you've seen some in your backyard!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 1:15 pm

Quite OT..........but have you seen those skydiving Wingsuits that basically work on the concept of the "wings" of the flying squirrels? It's fascinating to see!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 1:23 pm

Ok! So we have red squirrels! Thanks Savannah! (By the way...I love your name!)

Black squirrels are really unique looking. I like them better than mine
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 1:27 pm

Thank you, Sabrina!
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 2:45 pm

Those flying squirrels look so weird and neat at the same time!! lol
I can see them gliding from tree to tree Thumbsup

Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Horses10
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 2:58 pm

I didn't know flying squirrels! What a weird animal! OhMy

Vanesa.

Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 6:36 pm

Vanesa wrote:
What a weird animal! OhMy

Vanesa.

Yes... but you have not really seen weird until you have checked this list out.

Weird, Weirder, Weirdest

affraid

Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Horses10
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Lily

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 7:58 pm

affraid Carol!!

The Alpaca is so cute!!

Back to top Go down
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

Number of posts : 853

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 09, 2008 2:05 pm

I think someone should check out Rob's house. He seems to have an amazing slew of animals. Wink

I've seen red squirrels and gray squirrels, but never black and flying. I've love to see a flying squirrel though. That'd be pretty cool.

That's neat that you and your family hatched a lot of black swallowtails! (That sounds funny!) Late fall I found a monarch caterpillar on one of my photography trecks and brought it home with me. That was a lot of fun to watch and photograph . I'll have to try planting some parsley near my flower garden. I didn't realize that black swallowtails laid eggs on them.

This is a photo of the hummers I see.
Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Hbird1

Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 PDKeeper
Back to top Go down
http://avonleavignettes.com
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 09, 2008 2:27 pm

Wow, that's a beautiful pic!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 09, 2008 9:43 pm

Yep! We're a bird friendly house! We have a feeder up which the birds love. We fill it with the sunflower seeds and they can finish everything in a couple days. I'm always filling the feeder. We also have squirrels who love the seeds so we had to squirrel proof the feeder..they still search the ground around it for seeds. There's also a small pond in our backyard..that attracts the birds, squirrels, groundhogs, neighborhood cat. They just all get along.

Last spring we had like 4 nests, a couple in the back and a couple in the front. They were robins nests. Never had that before. I loved watching the babies grow. There were some nerve wracking times where I thought they'd fall out. There was one nest that was made in our trellis and it wasn't that deep. Unfortunately only one baby survived. I tried setting up a net right under the nest so if they fell out it would catch them One fell out before I could set it up, then another fell out after I put the net up..unfortunately he slipped through a small opening and fell to the ground. He was still alive and I put him back in the nest. Checked on him when the momma left the nest for food and he had died so I took him and buried him. The third one fell, was caught...was ok..then he fell out again and into the netting but something must have poked him during his fall and he died shortly after that..had to bury him. The last one was ok and he flew off. It was a very stressful few weeks for me and my husband, we were always checking on the babies. Before the winter I took the nest down and cut some branches from the rose bush growing over our trellis so a bird won't build a nest there again. I don't think I could take another one being there. It was upsetting to see these baby birds die.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 09, 2008 9:54 pm

Lol, Carol! Thank you for the link! I loved all those strange animals. O know some of them ( as Alpaca and Tapir and Armadillo...the last one is called "Peludo" here, in Argentina and it can only be found in certain provinces. In Uruguay, I've seen a GIGANTIC one! affraid ) However, I've never seen some of these beats. Aye-Aye and Dumbo-Octopus are my favorite ones! grinsmiley Dumbo Octopus is very handsone...he has BLUE EYES!!! ROTFL

Vanesa.

Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 09, 2008 10:00 pm

Ok, so I clicked on Carol's link and I think I'm going to have nightmares tonight! affraid Some of those animals totally freaked me out! Eek..the star nosed mole...and the BLOB FISH!!! YIKES!! LOL, I like the red panda though! He's cute! Oh, and then there's the Komondor dog...ROFL...how would you like to have THAT hair!! grinsmiley

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Lily

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 09, 2008 10:33 pm

No Oh, how sad, Starmonkey. Those poor baby birds. bawling You're so sweet to take care of those birds.

Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 10, 2008 2:19 am

Rob wrote:
I"ve also seen flying squirrels in the backyard at night. Here's an actual one...

Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Flying_squirrel

And an artist's rendition...

Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Image98

I'm sorry, but that is weird & will probably give me nightmares. If hubby wakes me up while I'm standing up in bed battling unseen squirrel forces, I'll tell its cause Rob posted a picture! Whistle

Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 HummerBird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 MistiKeeperBird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Bookclub5Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bird Friendly Backyards   Bird Friendly Backyards - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bird Friendly Backyards
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next