Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I just don't know what to do

Go down 
+14
HarrisonCrosby4387
Gin
pamh36
Amy
bethandmanly
Vanesa
Lily
Farmer Girl
Savannah
Rob
Teresa
JW
Rhonda
ChristinaAL
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : I just don't know what to do - Page 2 Love-s10

I just don't know what to do - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 10:09 am

I'm sorry to hear this, Christina. Yes, I know from experience (my sister) that when one family member is not 'well', it affects the entire family negatively. I hope your dad can find the help he needs; hang in there Christina! I'm still praying for him and your family as well.

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 2:26 pm

Christina --I will pray that you are put into the right hands of Doctors that can help your Dad. Depression is such a tangled thing to understand, so it needs to be dealt with correctly. Your Dad may need you more in the weeks to come, so take care of yourself too.

I just don't know what to do - Page 2 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
I just don't know what to do - Page 2 Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54425
Mood : I just don't know what to do - Page 2 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 3:10 pm

{{{Christina}}} Thank you for updating us, Christina. It helps me to know how to pray for you.

It's frustrating that depression still has a stigma attached to it - as if there's something wrong with the person's character or integrity because they're experiencing depression. Huh?
I hope that your Dad's doctor will understand his uneasiness, and refer your Dad to someone out of town if that's what it will take for him to get better.

Praying for you, and your family,

Love,
Savannah
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't updated lately. To be honest, things have been so up and down that I haven't known what to say, and it's been difficult. My dad went to see a regular MD about 2 weeks ago, recommended by a friend who used to be a doctor. He seemed like a good doctor too - the kind that you wish they all were like. He reassured my dad that he's not alone in this, and encouraged him by saying it was the right thing to do, to come in and talk. He prescribed a mild medication for him as well, and explained my dad's problem as the serotonin levels being depleted in his brain. I knew a little bit about this from a psychology class I took a few years ago, but looked into it some more, plus got some input from Mike, as he was a Biology major in college. It was tough getting dad to take the medication that first day, but he finally did and has been taking it each day since. I feel a little guilty, but my mom and I actually counted the pills the first few days (if we didn't see him take it), to make sure he was taking them. We just want him to feel better. Even with the medication, he's had days where he seems normal, and days where he still seems depressed. It seems worse on days that he doesn't have anything to do - the weekends when he doesn't work, the nights when he just sits. He doesn't believe the medication will work, and I think with a negative attitude, it might affect how it works. He has a check-up with the doctor this coming Monday, will you please pray that it goes well? I think if the doctor increased the medication, it might make my dad feel more hopeless, but I want the doctor to do whatever he needs to do to help him. Thank you all for being here for me through this, I really appreciate it! {{hugs}}

I just don't know what to do - Page 2 ChristinaKeeper2 I just don't know what to do - Page 2 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Number of posts : 5286

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 7:37 pm

Christina,
Your dad will continue to be in my prayers. Please let us know how his appt. goes next week.

I just don't know what to do - Page 2 TeresaKeeper
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 7:44 pm

{{{Christina}}} I certainly will continue to keep your dad in my prayers.

I just don't know what to do - Page 2 PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21164
Mood : I just don't know what to do - Page 2 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Sounds like your dad has Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and needs light therapy to help him....Here's a link to help you understand it more. Thumbsup

SAD

I just don't know what to do - Page 2 Rhonda10I just don't know what to do - Page 2 Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 10:50 pm

{{{Christina}}} I'll keep praying.
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 01, 2008 4:31 pm

Thank you so much for the prayers. {{hugs}} And thank you for the info, Rhonda. I'm looking through it now.

I just don't know what to do - Page 2 ChristinaKeeper2 I just don't know what to do - Page 2 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 6:21 pm

My dad's first session with the counselor was yesterday. He said the doctor seemed knowledgable and very genuine, but I just feel as though he doesn't have much hope for his getting better. He has another appointment Monday; I'm glad that the appointments are so close together, maybe they will help. The counselor also said that if there is no improvement from the medication dad's been taking for a few weeks, by next week, she's going to talk to his MD about trying a different one. It must be so frustrating for him, b/c I know it is for us seeing him go through this. Even though we're here, it's like he's alone and I hate seeing him this way. Blue

Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 7:11 pm

Christina,
What type of medication are they giving him?
My dad went to the clinic 2 days ago because his leg has been having several muscle twitches.... and the doctor gave him a medication called Amitriptylin that is really an anti-depressent medication but can also be used for chronic pain.

The side effects really scared me though! The medication itself has side effects while taking it AND when coming off of it. Some of them include suicidal thoughts :unsure: and headaches, possible fainting.... staying out of the sun, not operating machinery... and the list goes on.... that I told my dad not to take it. He got a little upset but here I am now trying to find out what other type of medication he could take that doesn't have so many side effects.

I just don't know what to do - Page 2 Horses10

Last edited by Carol on Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 7:16 pm

I am glad that he has started seeing a counselor. That is so great that your dad is taking steps toward recovering. It may be a long, tough road, but he won't get to the end of it if he doesn't take some steps toward getting better, and he is doing just that.

I'm continuing to keep him in my prayers.

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 7:24 pm

Still praying, sweetie. {{{Christina}}}

Love,
Savannah
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21164
Mood : I just don't know what to do - Page 2 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 8:10 pm

Christina.....get a light for dad and see if sitting in front of it a few hours a day helps out.....a lot of people crave the sunlight, and there isn't enough of it during the winter months.....

I just don't know what to do - Page 2 28_1_5 Light Therapy

I just don't know what to do - Page 2 Rhonda10I just don't know what to do - Page 2 Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

Number of posts : 10766

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 9:49 pm

Hopefully the therapy and maybe new meds will help your dad.

Spring is finally here, the lovely pink blooms on the "spray" tree outside my window are gone leaving a beautiful willow.
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 2:24 pm

Thank you so much for the prayers and thoughts, I appreciate it so very much! Carol, the name of the medicine is Paroxetine. I've looked it up on the internet, and there are a lot of possible side effects. But the doctor said that he's rarely seen people be to exhibit them - the one thing he said he has seen was nausea, which my dad hasn't been effected by, after several weeks of taking the medication.

Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 4:54 pm

I just mentioned this in the other thread, but I thought I'd update here as well. My dad's seemingly having a better week - he seems like he's doing better, he's been keeping himself busy on the days he doesn't have work (which, unfortunately, have been 2 this week), instead of just sitting around. He had another doctor's appointment today and the doctor told him that he thinks he's "hit rock bottom and is starting to recover". I pray that it's true and it's not just a few good days. I'll take whatever good ones we can get, but I want my dad back - the real one and not this man who's been ill for these past few months. He admits now that it's a sickness, and says he doesn't want to be sick anymore, and that he's fighting. Prayer is such a powerful thing.

Oh, this is an aside I just thought of - when dad was leaving the building his counselor is located in 2 days ago, he ran into someone he knew and the guy said to him, "Oh, are you going for counseling?" in a derogatory way. Luckily, my dad's regular MD is in the building and dad said he was just seeing him. Why do people have to be so intolerant and hurtful? Not to mention, nosy? It's none of this guy's business to pass judgement on someone who's sick (and, not to mention, who has always done good work when they've worked together). I'm still mad about it, but I've been able to pray for this guy as well - that he himself never has to go through something like this and if he does, no one judges him as harshly as he judges others.

Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 9:20 am

Oh Christina, things are starting to sound promising!! I am so happy to hear that!! I will continue to pray and hope that with each passing day, he continues to improve.

I can't believe someone asked him about counseling like that. What ever happened to, "Hi, how are you? It's good to see you."? People can be extremely rude. I probably would have responded the same way as your dad did.

Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : I just don't know what to do - Page 2 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 9:49 pm

These news sound good enough, Christina. I just KNOW that your daddy will get allright. At least, he has some will to get up his chin and try to keep with his life. And since he has a so caring daughter, I think he will will win! Thumbsup

Vanesa.

I just don't know what to do - Page 2 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 8:24 am

That ticks me off that that guy was being such a jerk to your dad. What the heck??? I mean, people go to counseling all the time these days and it's nothing to be ashamed of! It takes a 'real man' to admit he has a problem and get help. I hope this guy's remarks don't set your dad back. It sounds like he's on the right track and I hope he continues to progress!! Thumbsup

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 8:01 pm

I'm hoping that enough time has gone by that I don't "jinx" things by saying this, but my dad has made such a turnaround in the last month. It's almost as if he's completely himself again, although I know he still has a little ways to go. He's laughing and joking around the way he always used to, he says he has an appetite again (before, he had said he just didn't feel like eating), in fact we just had some ice cream together! grinsmiley The medicine and counseling seem to have helped him a lot. His only issue now is the medicine - he never wanted to take it in the first place, and is determined to not have to. His doctor did tell him that it isn't the kind of medication he'd be taking "forever", but that he would like to see him remain on it for a few more months, and then they will gradually decrease the dosage to see how he does. I told him, as long as the medicine is helping him to feel better, that's what's important, and to not think about it after he takes it in the morning. I'm not going to worry about this now though, the important thing is that he's back to himself again. I can't thank you enough for all of your prayers throughout the past few months for my dad. I felt so helpless and at times, hopeless and I knew prayer was the only thing I could do. Sometimes it doesn't seem like enough, but I know that trusting God is always what's best and I want to thank you all so much for praying with me. {{HUGS}} to my wonderful friends!

Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : I just don't know what to do - Page 2 Happy011

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 8:05 pm

Wow, that's wonderful! grinsmiley

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 8:35 pm

Christina, I'm so very glad to hear that your Dad is doing so much better! What wonderful news!
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 7:17 am

I'm glad you're Dad is doing so much better Christina. It's so hard to watch our loved ones struggle. I'll keep praying for him and for all of you.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 2:01 pm

I'm glad that thinks are working a little better for your father and for you. I'll keep you both in my prayers.

Vanesa. Wave

I just don't know what to do - Page 2 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I just don't know what to do   I just don't know what to do - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

I just don't know what to do
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next