Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mary Ingalls On Her Own

Go down 
+6
Blue Willow
Krissy
Vanesa
JW
Prairie Dweller
bethandmanly
10 posters
AuthorMessage
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Mary Ingalls On Her Own Bokmal10

Mary Ingalls On Her Own Empty
PostSubject: Mary Ingalls On Her Own   Mary Ingalls On Her Own EmptyMon May 19, 2008 10:39 pm

Hey gang,

Marilyn offered a nice review of "Mary Ingalls On Her Own" by Elizabeth Kimmel Willard at my Laura's Little Houses blog. You'll find it here: http://lauralittlehouseontheprairie.blogspot.com/2008/05/mary-ingalls-on-her-own-by-elizabeth.html

It sounds like a good read! Thanks Marilyn!!!!

Cheryl

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

Number of posts : 853
Mood : Mary Ingalls On Her Own Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Mary Ingalls On Her Own   Mary Ingalls On Her Own EmptyMon May 26, 2008 10:24 am

It looks pretty interesting! I found this book and the Nellie book from the same guy one Amazon and he said he'd combine shipping, so I bought the books! I'm looking forward to getting them and reading them! :)

(Cheryl, would you like a review of Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls? If so, after I read the book I could write a review for your blog. :))

Mary Ingalls On Her Own PDKeeper
Back to top Go down
http://avonleavignettes.com
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Mary Ingalls On Her Own   Mary Ingalls On Her Own EmptyMon May 26, 2008 11:18 am

Prairie Dweller wrote:

(Cheryl, would you like a review of Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls? If so, after I read the book I could write a review for your blog. :))

Sure. Provide a summary and then your thoughts on the book.

Thanks.

Cheryl

Back to top Go down
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

Number of posts : 853

PostSubject: Re: Mary Ingalls On Her Own   Mary Ingalls On Her Own EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 12:54 pm

I just started reading this book last night and have read the first three? chapters and am enjoying. I think it's nice insight into what Mary was doing at the college. I realize we really don't know what all Mary did and how things happened, but I've read that the author did a lot research on the school that Mary attended and included what went on during the time that Mary attended the college.

I'm looking forward to being able to read more!

Mary Ingalls On Her Own PDKeeper
Back to top Go down
http://avonleavignettes.com
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Mary Ingalls On Her Own Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Mary Ingalls On Her Own   Mary Ingalls On Her Own EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 1:35 am

I order this Book online Can't wait till i get it Smile

Mary Ingalls On Her Own Jacobk10Mary Ingalls On Her Own Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: Mary Ingalls On Her Own   Mary Ingalls On Her Own EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 12:04 am

I'm really wants to read those two, Nellie and Mary's books. Sadly they are expensive for me. I know we cannot really know what Mary did at school , excepting what he told to Laura her family the first time she visited her family after enetering to Vinton's college. There's a pair of anecdotes she told them about it, but I don't know if those are included at the book.

I've read a review on "Nellie Oleson Meets Laura Ingalls", biut it was not very flattering, since the reviewer saids that even if the author claims that she never watched the TV show, Mrs. Oleson character in the book, seems to have been taken from the show rather than Laura's books, since Laura depicts Margaret Oleson as a basically nice woman...However, I think that reading that book could be fun. Smile

As for "Mary Ingalls on Her own" it must be interesting. I've read somewhere on the net (I think the site has gone by now), about how daily life was in Vinton's college for the blind at Mary's era. They even had Mary's grades, and she excelled playing piano.

Vanesa.

Mary Ingalls On Her Own Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Mary Ingalls On Her Own Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Mary Ingalls On Her Own   Mary Ingalls On Her Own EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 4:48 pm

sounds instersting

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Mary Ingalls On Her Own   Mary Ingalls On Her Own EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 11:37 pm

Of course it must be! Thumbsup

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Blue Willow
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Blue Willow

Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: Re: Mary Ingalls On Her Own   Mary Ingalls On Her Own EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:21 am

This book was an easy read and an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.

As with all the "spin-off" books, I was bothered by a few things. For instance, the real Miss Mattice was blind, although she was portrayed as sighted in the book.
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Mary Ingalls On Her Own Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54425

PostSubject: Re: Mary Ingalls On Her Own   Mary Ingalls On Her Own EmptySat May 14, 2011 1:49 pm

Blue Willow wrote:

As with all the "spin-off" books, I was bothered by a few things. For instance, the real Miss Mattice was blind, although she was portrayed as sighted in the book.

That's probably why the author mentioned in the book that she didn't know if Miss Mattice had been sighted or blind in real life. . . She wanted people to know that she was unsure of that specific piece of information. I always appreciate it when something like that is noted, because historical inaccuracy annoys me. Mary Ingalls On Her Own 440956
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Mary Ingalls On Her Own   Mary Ingalls On Her Own EmptySun May 15, 2011 12:08 am

The principal point here, is to remember when reading each of the pages of this kind of books , that we are not reading history, only a good book based in history. No more, no less. Just like we does when watching the TV show. I confess I was extremely bothered when I knew that most of things I was watching by TV were nor taken from Laura Ingallas Wilder's real life, that any Albert had ever existed, that Nellie didn't marry any Percival, that Laura was never behind Almanzo before he did...Yes; I was very dissapointed when I knew it, but now, I like TV show and takes it separately from the books and Laura's real life.

All "Little House Spin- off Books" are largely fictional. "Martha's years" are the more fictional of all them, and "Rose's years" the more close to the real events , but everyone of them contents fake info and things that never happened...

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Mary Ingalls On Her Own   Mary Ingalls On Her Own EmptyMon May 16, 2011 12:45 am

I bought this book recently. It will be a while before I read it, but I am glad to have it as part of my LIW collection.

Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Mary Ingalls On Her Own   Mary Ingalls On Her Own EmptyMon May 16, 2011 11:54 pm

So, you liked it! Smile

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Mary Ingalls On Her Own   Mary Ingalls On Her Own EmptyTue May 17, 2011 1:06 am

I haven't read it, but someone (maybe Marilyn) reviewed it at my blog and she enjoyed it, so I figured I would give it a shot.

Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : Mary Ingalls On Her Own Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: Mary Ingalls On Her Own   Mary Ingalls On Her Own EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 3:27 pm

I didn't even know about this one. I will have to add it to my list now. Thanks! Smile

I don't get it, though. I have a tendency to check out LH and LH-related books in stores just in case there is something that I don't know about that may have just been released. I never see anything anymore that is beyond Laura's books.

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
ChristineLovesLHOTP
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
ChristineLovesLHOTP

Number of posts : 227
Mood : Mary Ingalls On Her Own Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Mary Ingalls On Her Own   Mary Ingalls On Her Own EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 10:33 pm

I'm going to have to look this one up
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

PostSubject: Re: Mary Ingalls On Her Own   Mary Ingalls On Her Own EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 9:27 am

I wanted to read this book but I like more biographies than historical fiction. If I'm reading words Mary didn't say or do, but probably did, that's fine for fiction, but I wish there was a book about her and what she did that was more of a bio.
I realize though, at the time, no one realized how interested so many of us would be.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Mary Ingalls On Her Own Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Mary Ingalls On Her Own   Mary Ingalls On Her Own EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:02 am

I kind of like to know more about her. Smile

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mary Ingalls On Her Own   Mary Ingalls On Her Own Empty

Back to top Go down

Mary Ingalls On Her Own
Page 1 of 1