Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Thanksgiving Tradition???

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
edwina
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident

Number of posts : 1010
Mood : Thanksgiving Tradition??? Party010

Thanksgiving Tradition??? Empty
PostSubject: Thanksgiving Tradition???   Thanksgiving Tradition??? EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 9:35 pm

I know it's early for this, but this kinda bugs me. My sons' godfather's niece is in 2nd grade. IN her school school they are teaching the kids that turkey is NO longer the main me and NO more pumpkin pie as the main desert. They believe that it should be ham and for desert apple or cherry pie.( This is what the Indians made they said"

I always was taught that it was both ham and turkey and it was pumpkin pie for desert. Any thoughts?

Thanksgiving Tradition??? EdwinaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Thanksgiving Tradition??? Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Thanksgiving Tradition??? Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Tradition???   Thanksgiving Tradition??? EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 9:55 pm

Well..........the early Pilgrims didn't have any pigs, so ham was out of the question. A letter written by one of the Pilgrims mentions that they had venison, and "wild fowl". (Probably turkey) They likely also had rabbit. Things that they could hunt for. At the first Thanksgiving, they wouldn't have had any sweet desserts at all. But, they may have served pumpkin. As a vegetable.
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Tradition???   Thanksgiving Tradition??? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 7:54 am

That is the first thing I have ever heard anything like that, Edwina.

Thanksgiving Tradition??? PamKeeper
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Tradition???   Thanksgiving Tradition??? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 10:59 am

Being that I'm American Indian here's some MYTH breaking information about the first Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving wasn't a happy time as what was stated in the history books and taught in school.

Native Americans living today have criticized many of the happy stories that have been told through the years about the first Thanksgiving. They say everyone should learn the truth about what happened after the Europeans arrived in North America.

Most of what we eat or do on Thanksgiving has nothing to do with what happened during the first thanksgiving,when the colonists 'broke bread with the Native Americans.

Settlers from England called Pilgrims are believed to have held the first Thanksgiving meal in 1621. They had arrived in what is now the northeastern United States a year earlier. Soon, more than half had died from disease or lack of food.

Those who survived held a day of thanksgiving. They thanked God for protecting them. They also thanked the Native American Indians who lived in the area. These Indians were part of the Wampanoag tribe. The Wampanoags had helped save the Pilgrims by showing them how to fish and plant crops.

The Pilgrims celebrated for about three days. About ninety Wampanoag Indians joined the celebration. They ate deer, ducks, geese, turkeys and pumpkins. And the two groups made a peace and friendship agreement giving the Pilgrims an area in the forest to build their town.

This friendship did not continue for long. More English settlers came to America. Unlike the Pilgrims, they did not need help from the Indians. Many settlers forgot about the help the Indians had provided. Within a few years, the Indians and the English settlers were at war. Many of the Wampanoags were killed in battle or died from diseases brought by the white people.
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Thanksgiving Tradition??? Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Tradition???   Thanksgiving Tradition??? EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 1:38 pm

Very interesting stuff.
When I went to a museum, I remember my guide talking to me about this.

Thanksgiving Tradition??? Horses10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Tradition???   Thanksgiving Tradition??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Thanksgiving Tradition???
Page 1 of 1