Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How old should a kids be left at home alone?

Go down 
+7
Lily
Trixie
Prairie Wind
pamh36
Farmer Girl
Amy
bethandmanly
11 posters
AuthorMessage

How old should a kids be left at home alone? Empty
PostSubject: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 9:59 am

becuz this 12 year was taken away from her home and put into a foster care.Becuz her mother works so late like from 6ish in the morning to like 9am at nite...(so no one to look afther her) I don't know were her father is he seemed to have disspeared or something!...(theses are people who live next door)

I just feel bad for the girl!:
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : How old should a kids be left at home alone? Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 10:17 am

Well, I can understand how hard it can be to find a good person to watch over your kid while you're working--I was a single parent for 11 years--but you can't leave a girl that age alone for that length of time.

It's too bad this happened. I'll be praying for them.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 12:05 pm

yeah i know, it's ok to leave a child for a few hours!..wow that must be hard to be a single parent!
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : How old should a kids be left at home alone? Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 1:31 pm

It's hard enough to be a two-parent family, never mind going it alone. I always admire those who can handle it.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : How old should a kids be left at home alone? Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 2:43 pm

Wow, that is so sad. I sympathize with the mom because you know the financial situation is super tight, but leaving a kid from 6am-9pm is simply not parenting. I started leaving my kids at the age of 11, maybe for an hour to go to the grocery store. Then at age 12, I would leave for slightly longer amounts of time. This year my son is 13 and babysits other children for short periods of time too. He even sat for other kids a couple of times last year, at the age of 12. So much depends on a kid's maturity level, and the amount of time left for.

The 12 year old girl you're speaking of though, sweetheart, definitely needs better care. I can see maybe doing that in a major pinch for one day, but if this is a daily basis, that is neglect and that State is doing their job.

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 2:59 pm

Amy wrote:
Wow, that is so sad. I sympathize with the mom because you know the financial situation is super tight, but leaving a kid from 6am-9pm is simply not parenting. I started leaving my kids at the age of 11, maybe for an hour to go to the grocery store. Then at age 12, I would leave for slightly longer amounts of time. This year my son is 13 and babysits other children for short periods of time too. He even sat for other kids a couple of times last year, at the age of 12. So much depends on a kid's maturity level, and the amount of time left for.

The 12 year old girl you're speaking of though, sweetheart, definitely needs better care. I can see maybe doing that in a major pinch for one day, but if this is a daily basis, that is neglect and that State is doing their job.

Yeah i totally agree with you on that!.Leaving children for mybe like an hour or 2 i think is fine and like leaving phone numbers or parents cell number to call if needed is what you should do! and yes i have to agree again it does matter on the maturity level of the kid!

I don't know the whole story on what happned! there could be more less to it..I just heard she was taken from her home..i just felt bad for her...I don't really know the family so i can't really judge....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 3:00 pm

sweetheart wrote:
Amy wrote:

Yeah i totally agree with you on that!.Leaving children for mybe like an hour or 2 i think is fine and like leaving phone numbers or parents cell number to call if needed is what you should do! and yes i have to agree again it does matter on the maturity level of the kid!

I don't know the whole story on what happned! there could be more less to it..I just heard she was taken from her home..i just felt bad for her...I don't really know the family so i can't really judge....
buti guess mybe there must of been a reason why she was taken from her home!
Back to top Go down
Farmer Girl
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Farmer Girl

Number of posts : 2578
Mood : How old should a kids be left at home alone? Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 3:36 pm

my mom still hates to leave me at home by my self.......And I can drive! lol Just all the 'what if'.' She has started leaving me at home more by my self, but I always have a way to get in touch with her when she is gone. Usually I only stay at home if someone is sick, and she has to go to town, while I take care of them.

that is really sad about the little girl..... No

How old should a kids be left at home alone? FGKeeper

~ Home is the nicest word there is ~

How old should a kids be left at home alone? Little
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 4:25 pm

Amy wrote:

:agree:

Yeah, Devin was the same age, 11, when I started leaving him for short periods of time. Now, at 14, he'll be home with Kelsey for even up to a few hours. Which is easy enough, because at 9 3/4, Kelsey is pretty independant. :lol!:

But I agree too, I think that is just way too much time alone. And I do sympathize as well, I can't imagine how difficult being a single parent would be.

How old should a kids be left at home alone? PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

Number of posts : 1369

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 4:35 pm

I was left alone like that a lot- even as a younger child. Oh, the crazy things I would do! So dangerous! And oh how lonely I would get- especially being home alone when I was sick. Blue

Too bad the authorities couldn't have helped your neighbor work something out instead of removing the child... How traumatic!
Back to top Go down
http://toknowhimmore.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 4:47 pm

We leave our 3 younger boys with our oldest son Zachary. He will be 16 next month. It's no more than a few hours at a time. Zachary does really well when in charge.

Farmer Girl.....I'm the same way with my boys. I worry about them all the time. It drives my husband crazy sometimes. :unsure:
Back to top Go down
Trixie
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
Trixie

Number of posts : 425
Mood : How old should a kids be left at home alone? Confus10

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 6:05 pm

That's terrible! And unfair, too, if you ask me.

My parents left me home alone often. Starting from age eight, I remember. And I don't think they were at all irresponsible. There were even a couple of times when they had to tend to important business and left me and my older cousin by three years alone for a few days. Nothing happened. The house did not burn down. We were not kidnapped. It wasn't at all child endangerment or whatever they call it. . .And plus, leaving your kids alone like the Spartans did for a amounts of time builds independence, doesn't it?

To answer your question in the title, I think it doesn't really matter how old the kid is. It depends more on how mature they are.

And I feel bad for the mother too. Having your kid taken away while you were at work must have been a shock. It's understandable that she has to leave her kid for a while though that many hours is quite long.
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
How old should a kids be left at home alone? LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : How old should a kids be left at home alone? Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 9:30 pm

Every 12-year-old is different, some are more mature than the others. But leaving her for a whole day, even if she's mature enough to handle it, seems like abandonment. We say it's cruel to leave a pet that long, let alone a 12-year-old girl! It's funny how a 12-year-old back in the days was way matured than some of the 16-year-olds today.

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."

Last edited by Lily on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : How old should a kids be left at home alone? Happy011

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 9:31 pm

You're lucky you said SOME 16 Year old lol Cause i think i'm diffrent then most Kids these days in my age

How old should a kids be left at home alone? Jacobk10How old should a kids be left at home alone? Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
How old should a kids be left at home alone? LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : How old should a kids be left at home alone? Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 9:33 pm

I actually find you very mature for your age, Jacob! Wink

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : How old should a kids be left at home alone? Happy011

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 9:35 pm

Oh Thanks

How old should a kids be left at home alone? Jacobk10How old should a kids be left at home alone? Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
How old should a kids be left at home alone? Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54423
Mood : How old should a kids be left at home alone? Happy010

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 9:36 pm

Yes, all day, every day is too much. It wasn't a one-time thing. Things are dangerous for kids, and it's not wise to pretend otherwise. I'm sure that her mother, given the chance, would MUCH rather have had someone making sure that her daughter was safe - an adult taking care of her, fixing her healthy meals, making sure she got to bed at a decent time, keeping an eye on what she's watching, and who she's talking to online.....The things a parent SHOULD do. Even a mature twelve-year-old should NOT be expected to take on the responsiblities of an adult. They don't have the life experience or wisdom. BUT....I agree that protective services should have helped them, rather than traumatizing the young girl. But, I've found that protective services does little to protect, and even less to serve. At least, in my area, that's the case.
Back to top Go down
emilyanneoftheprairie
Sid's Girl
Sid's Girl

Number of posts : 3538
Mood : How old should a kids be left at home alone? Happy010

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 10:36 pm

my mom leaves us at home but not for a long time. that is sad about that girl getting taken away. i feel bad for her and her mom.

How old should a kids be left at home alone? Ifyou
I want to be the best, so whatever comes with that, I’ll have to accept. ~Sidney Crosby
How old should a kids be left at home alone? Cute-2
Back to top Go down
brenda_m
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
brenda_m

Number of posts : 588

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 11:23 pm

I think it is too young a age to be left all day. I think I`d still worry no matter what age but maybe 17 is a better age to leaving them for long lenghts of time BUT some mature sooner than others.

How old should a kids be left at home alone? KEEPERBRENDAHow old should a kids be left at home alone? 11bBrendaMatt Mate,Dean`s Diva
Get your own Virtual Horse or Pony athttp://www.howrse.com
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

Number of posts : 1369

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 5:37 am

I've been thinking about the "left home alone" instances in the Little house books....
Back to top Go down
http://toknowhimmore.blogspot.com/
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : How old should a kids be left at home alone? Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 10:06 am

Savannah wrote:
Yes, all day, every day is too much. It wasn't a one-time thing. Things are dangerous for kids, and it's not wise to pretend otherwise. I'm sure that her mother, given the chance, would MUCH rather have had someone making sure that her daughter was safe - an adult taking care of her, fixing her healthy meals, making sure she got to bed at a decent time, keeping an eye on what she's watching, and who she's talking to online.....The things a parent SHOULD do. Even a mature twelve-year-old should NOT be expected to take on the responsiblities of an adult. They don't have the life experience or wisdom. BUT....I agree that protective services should have helped them, rather than traumatizing the young girl. But, I've found that protective services does little to protect, and even less to serve. At least, in my area, that's the case.

I agree with this completely. There are dangers in today's society that can not be compared to the pioneer days. Believe me, I worried every time about my boys when I left them, even for an hour, at the age of 11. But someone also mentioned about developing independence with your child, and I agree with that too. That's why I think it's actually healthy to do it from time to time. Not before the age of say, 10, though. I completely agree with Savannah and Holly about protective services doing something to actually help the situation, rather than putting the child and the mother (who it sounds like didn't have much choice in the matter) through this....look what it's going to cost the State anyway? Surely there must be a better solution. This is the kind of thing that I think we're going to see more and more of with this insane economy. People are going to be forced into making decisions, especially if they're a single parent....food, shelter, or child care? Which is the first to go? Scary. No

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 8:12 pm

Savannah wrote:

I agree with you girl!
Back to top Go down
Farmer Girl
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Farmer Girl

Number of posts : 2578
Mood : How old should a kids be left at home alone? Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 8:36 pm

JW wrote:
You're lucky you said SOME 16 Year old lol Cause i think i'm diffrent then most Kids these days in my age
I was thinking the same thing, Jacob! :unsure:

How old should a kids be left at home alone? FGKeeper

~ Home is the nicest word there is ~

How old should a kids be left at home alone? Little
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 8:55 pm

JW wrote:

i always thought u were older then 16//like in urs 20s.....I agree you are very "grown up" for your age!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How old should a kids be left at home alone?   How old should a kids be left at home alone? Empty

Back to top Go down

How old should a kids be left at home alone?
Page 1 of 1