Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is anyone canning yet?

Go down 
+5
Lily
Savannah
Farmer Girl
Rob
Carol
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Is anyone canning yet? Empty
PostSubject: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 6:25 pm

Or is it too early? My mom and I are going to this week.Is anyone canning yet? Thfoodcanning-2

Last edited by Susie on Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Is anyone canning yet? Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 7:10 pm

What do you mean? :think:

Is anyone canning yet? Horses10
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62618
Mood : Is anyone canning yet? Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 7:57 pm

I believe Susie is talking about canning vegetables from the garden.

It's a little too early for me, Susie, but when the time comes I'll stew some tomatoes and blanch some green beans to tide us over through the winter. Nothing like a helping of "fresh" garden beans in the middle of January. Cloud 9
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 9:30 pm

I think its cool that people still do this. We don't here though. I would honestly have no clue how to do any of that stuff and most things that people probably do it with I wouldn't eat. :haha:
Back to top Go down
Farmer Girl
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Farmer Girl

Number of posts : 2578

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 9:49 pm

We have canned Apples, (fried and sauce) Green beans, and we are going to make and can tomoato sauce, and probably lots of other stuff. We are still doing to apples and green beans. We also dry and freeze stuff, too, and store potatos and onions.

Is anyone canning yet? FGKeeper

~ Home is the nicest word there is ~

Is anyone canning yet? Little
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Is anyone canning yet? Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 9:53 pm

Farmer Girl, I have a really, really good recipe for homemade apple pie filling if your Mom is interested. I'm hoping to can up a bunch of that soon, myself.

We haven't done much canning here yet. It's just a little early for it, for most of the foods. But soon!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 10:29 am

Savannah wrote:
Farmer Girl, I have a really, really good recipe for homemade apple pie filling if your Mom is interested. I'm hoping to can up a bunch of that soon, myself.

We haven't done much canning here yet. It's just a little early for it, for most of the foods. But soon!

Thats sounds really good Savannah. grinsmiley
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Is anyone canning yet? LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Is anyone canning yet? Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 11:07 am

I had no idea what 'canning' means until I read Rob's explanation. I wish I know how to can foods...I have no talents! bawling

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Is anyone canning yet? Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 11:54 am

Lily wrote:
I had no idea what 'canning' means until I read Rob's explanation. I wish I know how to can foods...I have no talents! bawling

Me too, Lily, me too!! Especially in this ridiculous economy we're in right now, with no relief in sight. It might be a good idea to learn. It actually might be kinda fun...maybe doing it on a Sunday or something.

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Farmer Girl
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Farmer Girl

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 4:25 pm

Thanks, Savannah! I would love the recipe, if you have time to post it!

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 9:52 pm

I LOVE this recipe! It isn't strongly spiced, tastes better than any store bought apple pie ever thought of tasting, and isn't runny in the slightest. I don't know who came up with the recipe......I just know that it's from a newspaper clipping from years and years ago.

Apple Pie in a Jar

4 and a half cups sugar

2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbls. lemon juice
1 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
10 cups water
Peeled and sliced apples, to fill seven quart jars.

Peel and slice apples. Mix all ingredients EXCEPT lemon juice and apples in a pan. Put on medium heat until bubbling and "syrupy". Add lemon juice. Fill hot clean quart jars with sliced apples, packing tightly. Pour hot syrup into jars, over apple slices. Put on lids and rings. Process in hot water bath for 25 minutes, or in pressure cooker for 10 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.

You can use the same recipe for peaches, but omit the spices. Also for cherries, omitting spices, and adding 1 tsp. almond flavoring to syrup after removing from heat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 10:51 pm

Thanks for the recipe Savannah. grinsmiley
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 10:53 pm

You're welcome. Thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Farmer Girl
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Farmer Girl

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 11:33 am

Thanks, Savannah!! I'll have to try that.

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Is anyone canning yet? Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 12:16 pm

Savannah wrote:
I LOVE this recipe! It isn't strongly spiced, tastes better than any store bought apple pie ever thought of tasting, and isn't runny in the slightest. I don't know who came up with the recipe......I just know that it's from a newspaper clipping from years and years ago.

Apple Pie in a Jar

4 and a half cups sugar

2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbls. lemon juice
1 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
10 cups water
Peeled and sliced apples, to fill seven quart jars.

Peel and slice apples. Mix all ingredients EXCEPT lemon juice and apples in a pan. Put on medium heat until bubbling and "syrupy". Add lemon juice. Fill hot clean quart jars with sliced apples, packing tightly. Pour hot syrup into jars, over apple slices. Put on lids and rings. Process in hot water bath for 25 minutes, or in pressure cooker for 10 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.

You can use the same recipe for peaches, but omit the spices. Also for cherries, omitting spices, and adding 1 tsp. almond flavoring to syrup after removing from heat.

This almost---I repeat, almost---gets me in the mood for fall! Wink Sounds yummy! Thumbsup

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

Number of posts : 853

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 11:25 am

The apple pie in a jar recipe sounds similar to my mother's recipe!

We've canned beans, beets, and carrots and have blanched peas, broccoli, and cauliflower. I think that's it! ~laughs~ We may be doing apples today.

Is anyone canning yet? PDKeeper
Back to top Go down
http://avonleavignettes.com
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 5:46 pm

Prairie Dweller wrote:
The apple pie in a jar recipe sounds similar to my mother's recipe!

It might be the same one! Thumbsup It was from a syndicated column.

Amy, I know what you mean. I'm not sure I'm *quite* ready for Autumn yet, myself.
Back to top Go down
Farmer Girl
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Farmer Girl

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 6:29 pm

Savannah wrote:
Amy, I know what you mean. I'm not sure I'm *quite* ready for Autumn yet, myself.

I am!! It is starting to feel like it already here, and the fair is going on, (even though they did it a little earlyer this year. The only bad thing about fall is next comes winter....

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 6:47 pm

I wish we could start summer all over again.Bliss Fall is great...then comes WINTER. bawling I hate the cold weather..snow..sleet..etc. Ranting
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 7:06 pm

Susie wrote:
I wish we could start summer all over again.Bliss Fall is great...then comes WINTER. bawling I hate the cold weather..snow..sleet..etc. Ranting

:haha: Reasons I am glad I still live where I do. It will cool off here and feel like fall in Sept and then get cooler as time goes on and gets to winter. We don't get much rain during those months. Feb. is usually are rainier time. I do love rain though when we do get it. But no snow, sleet and all that sort of stuff. If that happens here then we are all in trouble. :Hahaha:
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 9:29 pm

Oh, I'd desperately miss snow! I love the four very-different seasons we get here!
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:52 am

Savannah wrote:
Oh, I'd desperately miss snow! I love the four very-different seasons we get here!

Actually, here in California, we can experience the four different seasons as well. A lot of people... when they think of California, only seem to think of the most famous southern california with it's beaches, etc... but actually, there is much more to it. Depending on where you are you can experience all 4 seasons very well as you can see from all the california pictures below. :sillySmiley:

Summer
Is anyone canning yet? 2517584508_0e3d18b3e5_m Is anyone canning yet? 2550539600_3aa5cc7c82_m

Winter
Is anyone canning yet? 393699163_80b00fd2c4_m Is anyone canning yet? 518057498_72abe82880_m

Spring
Is anyone canning yet? 133130162_74deb43bd9_m Is anyone canning yet? 396800349_9cab94bb92_m

Fall
Is anyone canning yet? 59954414_b79b95810f_m Is anyone canning yet? 2095998690_e0828fdd1f_m

Living in the central valley locates me around the middle of the state, so I have many places nearby where I can go when I want to go to the snow, the beach, etc... happy1

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 3:14 am

Oh, I know you can, Carol - But I was responding to Anna's statement:

BerryEvilQueen wrote:
But no snow, sleet and all that sort of stuff. If that happens here then we are all in trouble. :Hahaha:

I'd miss having snow right where I live. . . . Love

Beautiful pictures!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 11:05 am

I love your winter in this pic Is anyone canning yet? 39369910 Carol. Love
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 3:10 pm

Savannah wrote:
I'd miss having snow right where I live. . . . Love

Yeah, that we don't get here... unless you live at higher elevations, near the mountain... then you will get snow on the ground lol
What we get here in the central valley during the months of January and February... is just enough snow to cover the lawns, lol.... so there are days when things look white but by 12pm, it's melted... lol

Hey, if you ever come to California in the winter... you should stop at Yosemite, there is a cute little chapel there... that a lot of people stop at all year round... but in winter it specially looks magical... check out this pic:

Is anyone canning yet? 2241141572_ee014390dd

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone canning yet?   Is anyone canning yet? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is anyone canning yet?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Little House on the Prairie :: Walnut Grove Community :: Town Gossip-
Jump to: