Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hurricane Season----on the lookout!

Go down 
+14
Carol
Kathleen Marie
pamh36
Rob
LIWnut
Misti
Savannah
bethandmanly
Lily
Alice
JW
Rhonda
Amy
Gin
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 Love-s10

Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Season----on the lookout!   Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 1:51 pm

Yes, do listen to news and stay safe. I am on guard as I know the peak of the season is just around the corner. (mid Sept.) I have now made my linen closet into a hurricane supply closet. Got several gallons of water, canned goods etc. saved.
We got a rain last night finally! It hasn't rained here in 4 1/2 weeks. Every tree is suffering. If we get a hurricane this way all of that timber will snap quickly. Crossing my fingers..... scared

Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Season----on the lookout!   Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Gin wrote:
It hasn't rained here in 4 1/2 weeks. Every tree is suffering. If we get a hurricane this way all of that timber will snap quickly. Crossing my fingers..... scared

Now THAT is a scary thought. OhMy I am so glad you finally got some rain! I hope it keeps on coming!!!
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Season----on the lookout!   Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 6:09 pm

With rain comes a down side. Our actual temps will be 106 for the next few days. I feel so sorry for parents and kids that are moving back to colleges this weekend. It will be awful! Yes, we need LOTS more rain!

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Season----on the lookout!   Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 6:50 pm

No Sounds awful Gin! Blue
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Season----on the lookout!   Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 6:50 pm

I'll be praying...It's quite scaring! No

Vanesa.

Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Season----on the lookout!   Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 7:10 pm

KEEP SAFE

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Season----on the lookout!   Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 12:09 am

Well, my friends, not sure if I'll be online again over the weekend. Irene is weakening, but still creating lots of problems. In addition, some tornadoes have touched down as she's moved along, so we're a tiny bit nervous. Cape Cod is under hurricane watch/warnings, but we're only tropical storm. It's been raining most of the day, but it's supposed to get bad overnight and into tomorrow.

Churches and malls around here are closed tomorrow, and schools that were supposed to open Monday will also be closed.

I'll check in as soon as I can.

Stay safe everyone!

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Season----on the lookout!   Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 12:16 am

Oh wow, Cheryl, I can see why you're nervous! Tornadoes too?! Yikes You & Lily have been on my mind all day....praying for you!! pray Stay safe over there, and check in when you can! Smiley Hug
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Season----on the lookout!   Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 1:10 pm

Thanks. So far so good. It's bad and the basement has a bit of water right now, but if we keep electricity we should be fine. Other areas have been harder hit. Flooding is happening in many areas. The wind is supposed to pick up, so we might have more downed trees.

Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999
Mood : Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Season----on the lookout!   Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 5:31 pm

Some photos I found of Irene's damage.

Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 Attachment

Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 AttachmentHurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 AttachmentHurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 Attachment

Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Season----on the lookout!   Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 6:25 pm

Augh! That's awful! I'll keep praying! No

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Season----on the lookout!   Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 11:17 pm

That second photo is Route 158 in NC. I don't remember the exact milepost that Whalebone is at, but it's probably in Nags Head, which was hard hit.

What blew my mind as I've been reviewing all these photos on MSN is that Route 12 is the only road I know of that leads down to Hatteras Island, and it washed away in 5 different places. They have no idea how long it will take to repair.

Photobucket

Above is Miller's Waterfront Restaurant on Route 158 in Nags Head. Believe it or not, underneath all that water is their parking lot. We eat there every year--sometimes multiple times during our visit. They sit on the sound side of the water, and they have a pier in the back that goes out to a gazebo where you can watch a lovely sunset. Hopefully that isn't gone.

Photobucket

This is Route 12 that connects Hatteras Island to the mainland. I have no clue how these people are going to get back and forth until the road is repaired. I'm guessing ferry.

Photobucket

This is perhaps one of the most heartbreaking pictures I have seen so far. This woman lived in a cottage that was the first one built on Albemarle Sound in Nags Head in 1903. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places since 1963. I can't imagine having such a special home swept away.

If you are interested in looking at more of these photos, you can find them at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44305129/ns/weather/?gt1=43001 They continue to add new ones as they come in.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Season----on the lookout!   Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 2:55 pm

Wow Cheryl.....yes, that last picture is so sad. Very sad about the people stuck on Hatteras Island too....such devastation everywhere. It's hard to believe this wasn't a 'hurricane monster', seeing some of these pictures. I'm glad your area was spared for the most part Cheryl.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Season----on the lookout!   Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 5:52 pm

Thanks Amy. I'm just so sad about the Outer Banks. I wish I was closer so I could help. I don't even know what I would do. Miller's posted on Facebook that they endured so much damage they will closed the rest of the season. How awful for them. I haven't been able to find out about too many places down there, but that's probably better. I feel bad enough as it is.

Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Season----on the lookout!   Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 11:51 am

so much water Blue

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Season----on the lookout!   Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 6:33 pm

And wind along with the water! Blue

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

Number of posts : 3822
Mood : Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 Xmassm4

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Season----on the lookout!   Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 4:21 pm

We were in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and just got some of the outer bands of Irene on Friday.

Here are a few pics.

Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 4392531263a12941562246l

Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 4392531263a12941562248l
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Season----on the lookout!   Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 9:18 am

Doesn't look like we will get any rain from tropical storm 13. New Orleans will get pounded. We were so close too. Blue

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Season----on the lookout!   Hurricane Season----on the lookout! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hurricane Season----on the lookout!
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3