The top 100 Banned & Challenged Books (1990 – 2000)
Click on the link to see the list: CLICK ME
Which of those books on the list have you read and why do you think they are on this list?
Here is the list of books I have read from that list:
1. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
2. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
3. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
4. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
5. A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
6. Cujo by Stephen King
7. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
8. The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline Cooney
9. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
10. Where's Waldo? by Martin Hanford
Well, I will only talk about one of the books on the list: The Outsiders
It’s one of my favorite books and movie. I can see why they might want to put it on this list… maybe they says because it’s about gangs.
Well I see it a different way. Ponyboy who is part of the greasers is not shown as someone who wants to pick fights with the rival gang all the time; instead he’s just trying to survive in that world. You can see the reality, all the emotions, the feelings he goes through. You realize that people are the same, both sides had boys who were good at something and you realize that some people judge you because of the way you look, you dress, or where you live. There is a line I like that is between Cherry (belonging to the socs type of crowd) and Ponyboy (a greaser). It goes:
Ponyboy: Can you see the sunset from the North side real good?
Cherry: Yeah… real good
Ponyboy: You can see it from the South side too.