HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log in  

Share | 
 

 I HAVE STOPPED....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker


Number of posts : 8656
Location : California Country
Mood :

PostSubject: I HAVE STOPPED....   Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:17 pm

I am talking about downloading music illegally.
I have Limewire and I used to download a lot of music illegally but I stopped because... well... I have all I need now.. lol Just kidding! grinsmiley

Out of 330 songs I have on the iPod right now... about 90% is illegal songs and 10% from iTunes & CDs. :shy:

But I was talking with my cousin, he's a struggling musician and he also used to illegally download... but then there was a time when money he was getting for his music really helped him. How different it would have been if people would have just taken his music for free... all the hard work he put into it... for nothing.

I guess you want sites like Limewire & Napster to be legal because of all those music files for free... it's like a kid in a candy store! The reality is though... that it's illegal.
So ... out of consideration for the music artists... not so much the really famous ones... but ones that are really good and not so well known yet... I have crossed over to the land of 'Legal Downloading'. And also because I don't want to get caught like some people have and also because it's just not the right thing to do.

So, it might take me a little extra work going through my CDs and uploading songs... and I'll be short a couple bucks for buying some songs... but it'll be worth it in the end.. :headphone: Thumbsup


Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myworldthroughthelens.smugmug.com/
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor


Number of posts : 19955
Location : On my bike!!!
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:45 pm

Good for you Carol.....believe me, they will find you........Before Josh (youngest son) went to Bible Camp this summer, he had downloaded some episodes of one of his favorite tv shows.......illegally.......While he was gone, I received an email in the family mail that said someone was downloading illegally and it must stop! IT SCARED ME TO DEATH!!!! I had NO idea what he had done......so I texted messaged him and he called me back (he wasn't supposed to have his cell phone, but we were in the middle of an insurance claim and he was allowed to have his) and he gave me his password to sign onto his computer and then talked me through in deleting all the illegal programs he had downloaded......You just never know......sometimes you are safe, sometimes you get caught.....Needless to say, Josh got caught with his hand in the cookie jar............. No



CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2016-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carol
Adventure Seeker


Number of posts : 8656
Location : California Country
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:58 pm

Rhonda wrote:
I received an email in the family mail that said someone was downloading illegally and it must stop! IT SCARED ME TO DEATH!!!!

I don't blame you... specially since there is this case going on with this woman who was fined $220,000 for only 24 songs!!! mad If you ask me... that's a bit too much...

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/09/not-for-publica.html


Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myworldthroughthelens.smugmug.com/
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva


Number of posts : 7227
Location : In a book
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:04 pm

That's part of why I don't lend books or borrow books from the library very often. I feel like I'm stealing from the poor author who worked hard to get his work out there. If it's Stephen King or Tom Clancy, that's one thing, but if it's one of my clients or another small potato I won't lend out the book.


Photobucket
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Carol
Adventure Seeker


Number of posts : 8656
Location : California Country
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:06 pm

I used to download a lot of music because this is the way I saw it...

In the 80s... before the Internet Boom.... if there was a song on the radio that I liked, I'd grab a casette and record it off the radio.
Then, my friend also liked the song, so I would make a copy of the casette and give it to her. I never saw this as "stealing" music.

So now... I was just doing the same thing, just in a different way, on the computer and a lot faster. grinsmiley But alas! My times at the ole pirate bay are over... I've gotten off the ship :titanic:

Well, Cheryl, what you mentioned has me thinking now... The Library is evil... authors are getting ripped off from secure income by having these books out there for anyone to grab without paying a cent! a ha! :fencing: So, until they stop people from borrowing books from the library, there is no point in stopping people from 'borrowing' songs from the music library, no matter where it's at... :think: Laughing


Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myworldthroughthelens.smugmug.com/
Savannah
"Psalm 34"



Number of posts : 53815
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:13 pm

Carol wrote:


Well, Cheryl, what you mentioned has me thinking now... The Library is evil... authors are getting ripped off from secure income by having these books out there for anyone to grab without paying a cent! a ha! :fencing:


:Hahaha: I'll scoot to the side, so as to avoid being skewered by your little friends there.
I'm just the opposite, in that I see the library as my means of deciding whether I'll buy the book or not. I generally won't buy a book if I haven't read it yet. I check a book out from the library, and if I like it a lot, I'll buy a copy of it at the book store, but if I don't like it, then I won't buy it. That's how I found one of my favorite newer authors - Joanne Fluke. And now I've bought all of her books, except her latest, because I haven't had the money yet. But, at any rate.....The library is my deciding tool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carol
Adventure Seeker


Number of posts : 8656
Location : California Country
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:24 pm

Savannah wrote:
I see the library as my means of deciding whether I'll buy the book or not. I generally won't buy a book if I haven't read it yet. I check a book out from the library, and if I like it a lot, I'll buy a copy of it at the book store, but if I don't like it, then I won't buy it. That's how I found one of my favorite newer authors - Joanne Fluke. And now I've bought all of her books, except her latest, because I haven't had the money yet. But, at any rate.....The library is my deciding tool.

Same principle could be applied to the music file. A lot of songs I've downloaded.... I've ended up deleting because I didn't like it. iTunes only lets you hear a couple of seconds of the song... yeah, like that will help much! So I have to go to these places where I can hear the whole song.. and sometimes, that place is an illegal downloading site.
And I'm talking about songs that are not so well known...
At the library, you don't just go straight for the popular book that you know of.... you BROWSE books that you've never heard of but look interesting...
See the dilema? lol

But I know.. there are rules w/ music... so I meant what I said in my first post grinsmiley


Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myworldthroughthelens.smugmug.com/
Savannah
"Psalm 34"



Number of posts : 53815
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:30 pm

Carol wrote:
Savannah wrote:
I see the library as my means of deciding whether I'll buy the book or not. I generally won't buy a book if I haven't read it yet. I check a book out from the library, and if I like it a lot, I'll buy a copy of it at the book store, but if I don't like it, then I won't buy it. That's how I found one of my favorite newer authors - Joanne Fluke. And now I've bought all of her books, except her latest, because I haven't had the money yet. But, at any rate.....The library is my deciding tool.

Same principle could be applied to the music file. A lot of songs I've downloaded.... I've ended up deleting because I didn't like it. iTunes only lets you hear a couple of seconds of the song... yeah, like that will help much! So I have to go to these places where I can hear the whole song.. and sometimes, that place is an illegal downloading site.
And I'm talking about songs that are not so well known...
At the library, you don't just go straight for the popular book that you know of.... you BROWSE books that you've never heard of but look interesting...
See the dilema? lol

But I know.. there are rules w/ music... so I meant what I said in my first post grinsmiley


The library, though, will generally purchase multiple copies of the books that they circulate. And when those copies wear out, they purchase more.....So, at least the author does get some financial benefit from the library. The illegal music sites, most likely don't purchase more than one copy of the songs.....
I have to say, though - I do know of a couple of authors who view libraries as pure evil. :Hahaha:

I, unfortunately, am pretty ignorant when it comes to downloading music and such off the internet. I guess I didn't realize that it was a big problem. :unsure: No, I don't live in a cave. grinsmiley
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carol
Adventure Seeker


Number of posts : 8656
Location : California Country
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:11 pm

Savannah wrote:
The library, though, will generally purchase multiple copies of the books that they circulate. And when those copies wear out, they purchase more.....So, at least the author does get some financial benefit from the library. The illegal music sites, most likely don't purchase more than one copy of the songs.....
I have to say, though - I do know of a couple of authors who view libraries as pure evil. :Hahaha:

Same with music files. Several different people will purchase a CD (thus giving money to the artist), download it to their computer... and then share. So that means I'll go online and I see that this person has that particular song on a sharing site and so I take a copy of it. So from one person purchasing a CD, thousands will benefit.
At the library, from one person purchasing a book and putting it on a 'sharing' location, thousands also benefit. grinsmiley
In fact, ever since library's started also renting audio CDs... many people have gone to the libraries to check out albums to download and convert to MP3 files to put on a sharing site....
Pretty crazy stuff... but I love the library! lol


Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myworldthroughthelens.smugmug.com/
Savannah
"Psalm 34"



Number of posts : 53815
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:19 pm

Carol wrote:
Savannah wrote:
The library, though, will generally purchase multiple copies of the books that they circulate. And when those copies wear out, they purchase more.....So, at least the author does get some financial benefit from the library. The illegal music sites, most likely don't purchase more than one copy of the songs.....
I have to say, though - I do know of a couple of authors who view libraries as pure evil. :Hahaha:

Same with music files. Several different people will purchase a CD (thus giving money to the artist), download it to their computer... and then share. So that means I'll go online and I see that this person has that particular song on a sharing site and so I take a copy of it

Well.......Not exactly the same........The file is kept - it isn't given back, like with books at the library. It's not like people are photocopying library books. grinsmiley With the library, if you want a copy for your own, you still have to buy one.
BUT, the thing is, there are still yard sales, book sales, ebay, friends loaning copies to friends - so, really there isn't a HUGE difference.

I guess my problem is that I can see the argument from both sides...... I mean, it's so-and-so's cd........So, if he wants to share - why not? Then again, some small-time musician or writer can really use the money. (I'm less sympathetic toward the big studios. I know, it's hypocritical. But at least I'm honest about it. grinsmiley ) Since the government seems to be taking the online downloading etc. pretty seriously, though, it sounds like it's a wise decision to not push it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savannah
"Psalm 34"



Number of posts : 53815
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:08 pm

Carol wrote:
Rhonda wrote:
I received an email in the family mail that said someone was downloading illegally and it must stop! IT SCARED ME TO DEATH!!!!

I don't blame you... specially since there is this case going on with this woman who was fined $220,000 for only 24 songs!!! mad If you ask me... that's a bit too much...

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/09/not-for-publica.html



:faint2: Those are some expensive songs!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emilyanneoftheprairie
Sid's Girl
Sid's Girl


Number of posts : 3542
Location : near the Penguins and Steelers lovin' city!!!
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:11 pm

i got an email saying that i was doing that but i have never even heard of the sites that they were talking about. i just deleted the email. it did scare me a little bit.



I want to be the best, so whatever comes with that, I’ll have to accept. ~Sidney Crosby
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savannah
"Psalm 34"



Number of posts : 53815
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:16 pm

That had to be scary!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
I Love Dean
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler


Number of posts : 329
Location : Deanland Wisconsin
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:03 am

I guess I'm a good girl. Other than borrowing a cd here or there that's the only pirating I've ever done. My ipod has all legit songs downloaded from itunes or my cd's. Personally I've always been afraid to download free music from Limewire or those other freebie places... for fear of downloading a virus, adware or trojans. My theory is better to pay for something and know what your getting.

Can you see my halo? :Hahaha:


Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carol
Adventure Seeker


Number of posts : 8656
Location : California Country
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:56 am

I Love Dean wrote:

Can you see my halo? :Hahaha:

Yes, I can, which made it a little difficult to read your message... had to put on my sunglasses. grinsmiley

No, but seriously, you're right... I already got rid of limewire and with it, the music I had downloaded... but not to fear! My iPod has been getting fed recently with proper nutrition (paid & CD music) LOL.
And did I mention, I got the pink iPod nano 4th generation? happy1 :headphone: Cheer



I love it! I can see music videos, tv shows, songs, listen to podcasts, i have appts. there, my contacts, photos... it's pretty neat. Thumbsup
By the way, I'm kind of new to the podcast world... so if any of you are podcast listeners, what do you subscribe to?

Right now I have: NPR (Story of the Day and Stuff youShould Know) and A Window to the Magic (Disneyworld/disneyland podcast).


Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myworldthroughthelens.smugmug.com/
Samantha
New Pioneer
New Pioneer


Number of posts : 199
Location : San Francisco
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:34 am

I do agree to a point about borrowing books from the library, however I feel that it is somewhat different than music, and this comes from someone who is both a musician and a writer.

Library books are loaned and do not remain part of my permanent collection. This is similar to free music websites (Pandora, Last FM, etc) that allow people to listen to songs but not download them. I can borrow a book from the library as many times as I want, but it will never be mine. Whereas Mp3's remain in my music collection and I can use them in a variety of ways. When I borrow a book, I do not take it home, make my own copy of it, and then return the original to the library. Once the book has been returned, I cannot access its contents without borrowing it or buying it. Furthermore, I can borrow a CD from the library and rip the songs onto my computer and can have those music files at my disposal for years to come; I can't do this with a book.

Musicians do not become upset because people are listening to their music. After all, songs can be listened to on the radio and on the internet. The anger stems from the fact that the music is owned illegally.

While music can play an important role in one's life, fluent literacy skills must be developed and maintained. Books can be expensive, so libraries often give access to the printed word to children, senior citizens, students, and low income individuals.

If I had unlimited resources I would buy every book that I wanted to read, but that is not the case. Books have expanded my world view, they have touched my heart, and have made me a better thinker. If a library can offer the resources to do all that I just listed, I feel very little guilt.

To me, this is a grey area, especially when I consider book resellers like www.abe.com. Even though I am paying for the book, it is the book seller who is collecting my money and not the author. In many cases, the author is deceased, so proceeds from the sales are simply going to the author's estate. In addition, many of the books I want to read are out of print so the library is my only option.

If I had to choose between not being able to read a book at all or borrowing it from a library I would choose the latter every time.

So this was long-winded, but I had fun thinking about the ethics of borrowing books! grinsmiley





"Music is a Kind and Truthful Speech"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady


Number of posts : 2749

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:26 pm

I was a big illegal downloader in the past, but when I started school for IT, I had to sign a contract to not download illegally. So, if I had gotten caught, not only could I have gotten in trouble illegally, but with the school as well. Aside from illegal downloads just being wrong (I won't go through all the reasons, I think you all have pretty much covered them grinsmiley), on sites like LimeWire, the songs are coming from all different sources - secure and nonsecure. I got a virus on my computer a few years back because of a track I'd downloaded. So the hassle of dealing with getting that off the computer, the possibility of getting into a lot of legal trouble, and stealing songs from artists who worked hard to make them, it really isn't worth it.




"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:21 am

I burn my own cds to my compture then i make my own mixed cd with all my favorited songs! I still use a disc men lol.....more easy then caring around lots of cds lol!!


I used to d/l music off of my compture from kazza but i stoped becuz i did't feel it was right to the singers who work hard making the music...pluse i don't wanna get a virus lol






omg...I used to do the same thing copy music off of my raido onto a tape lol
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life


Number of posts : 5919
Location : Curled up with a great book.
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:55 pm

Ya Lorrie you are blinding me. :rockon:
I haven't gotten any that way either. If I have its my hubby doing it...he puts all my music on my mp3 player. :dancer:




It is the lack of Christianity that has brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts. LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carol
Adventure Seeker


Number of posts : 8656
Location : California Country
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:09 pm

I now listen to Pandora radio (www.pandora.com) . Create my radio stations... and listen to them. If there is a song I like... I bookmark it. Then, it already has a direct link which allows me to buy from iTunes of Amazon.

Or I also check out the CDs from the library and go home and rip them to my computer and to the iPod.

:headphone:


Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myworldthroughthelens.smugmug.com/
Robinsgirl
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler


Number of posts : 329
Location : Ohio
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:01 pm

Wow wow wow wow wait :think: ...... So if I buy a CD and then my friend Kat likes it so I dump it on Itunes then give her the CD ..... that ILLEGAL?????? OhMy ............. :faint2:


Sometimes life throws you under the bus. You gotta hold on for dear life. Don't waste one single day.

==============================================================================================

I wonder how I find myself with the greatest boy ever! <3 He loves me in spite of my issues.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:50 pm

I know this is probly still wrong!..Few times i have borrowed a cd from the libbrray then i burned in on my pc and made a copy! but it turned out that cd was skipped so i went out and got my own!....


My friend does this all the time..She takes out dvds from the librray and from the video store and burns them! She has more burned copies then brought ones!...I rather have the real videos then burn ones!


My ex friend did the same thing with videos!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: I HAVE STOPPED....   Today at 7:26 pm

Back to top Go down
 
I HAVE STOPPED....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Why Comic Book Geeks Must Be Stopped
» Fan's stopped spinning?
» broken halogen oven
» Greetings Everyone
» E.P.A. STOPS SHELL FROM DRILLING OFF ALASKA 27 B BARRELS !

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Pen & Plow’s Entertainment Section :: Music-
Jump to: