Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Be careful what you throw away

Go down 
+7
Kathleen Marie
Lily
Amy
bethandmanly
susansmoose
Savannah
Rob
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62606
Mood : Be careful what you throw away Goodsi10

Be careful what you throw away Empty
PostSubject: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 12:05 am

Here's a '50s related story.

Back in 1969, my family moved to a new house. My sister and I had a big cedar chest full of old toys, and we went through it to pick out what we wanted to save and what could be thrown away. Down at the bottom we discovered a Frisbee. Except it wasn't called a Frisbee. It said "Pluto Platter" on it, and it had pictures of the planets all along the edge.

Neither of us remembered where we'd gotten it, but we already had a real Frisbee, and we just figured this was some company's cheesy attempt to make a Frisbee rip-off. We threw it away.

Years later we discovered that the Pluto Platter was the prototype of the Frisbee, and had been on the market briefly in 1957 before the company changed the name to Frisbee and really hit the big time. The Pluto Platter was - and still is - a highly-prized collector's item.

I did one of these: :faint2:

grinsmiley
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Be careful what you throw away Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54423
Mood : Be careful what you throw away Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 12:08 am

Oh wow! That's definitely a :faint2: moment!
Back to top Go down
susansmoose
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
susansmoose

Number of posts : 154
Mood : Be careful what you throw away Xmassm5

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 12:12 am

yes i agree

my husband had a lot of the old marvel comics..spiderman and some fantastic 4 from the early 60's...his mother ended up cleaning out everything and throwing them away

i had an original barbie that was handed down from my older cousin...it was given to my younger sister who traded it away for a bendable barbie in the late 60's...
Back to top Go down
http://welcome.to/susans-moose
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Be careful what you throw away Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 12:16 am

Doesn't that just stink. I've gotten rid of stuff that I regret later too.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 11:00 pm

wow!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Be careful what you throw away Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 1:14 am

Oh Rob---that's more than a bummer. That just bites. :sad5: Do you know what the value of it would be today?

I'm always amazed by the people on PBS's "Antiques Roadshow" that say they bought something for like $2.00 at a garage sale and it ends up being worth thousands. I am not a pack-rat, so I don't have any real 'prized possessions' lingering around, I'm sure of that. But I am sorry I've gotten rid of some neat childhood things...some Barbies and dolls, and my Partridge family bus lunchbox. Huh? There was a little doll set that I adored as a kid too, called the "Sunshine Family"---they were a take-off of Barbie but so darn cute. I've always been sorry I got rid of them! I also had Snoopy and Kermit the frog memorbilia, and Smurf---not that they're worth anything---it's not 'practical' to keep such things, but sometimes I wish I still had them boxed up somewhere! Wink

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 1:27 am

AMY! I loved my Sunshine family dolls!! I found a whole set at a yard sale for $1.00 two summers ago, and snatched it up so fast I probably looked like a rabid lunatic. :Hahaha: I wanted Rachel to have the same fun with them as I did. I think she loved them even more than I did!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 1:32 am

LOL, Savannah, I was just hunting around Ebay and boy did that bring back memories! I'll go get the picture. Congrats on your garage sale find! I'd scoop them up too---you and I would have had a down and out brawl over that one! grinsmiley Did you happen to have a set called "The Honeybunch Kids"...they were a tiny stuffed doll set, and they lived in a treehouse (Um, it was the 70's, that's all I can say :unsure: ). Anyway, they were always near and dear to my heart too! Wink

Ok, here's the link to the set I had...however my "Steve" had pants, mind you. Wink

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunshine-Family-Steve-Stephie-Sweets-and-Baby_W0QQitemZ300272400572QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDolls?hash=item300272400572&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318#ebayphotohosti

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Be careful what you throw away LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Be careful what you throw away Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 2:24 pm

:alright: It's okay, Rob, just let it out...let it all out...it'll do you some good.

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 3:33 pm

Amy wrote:
Oh Rob---that's more than a bummer. That just bites. :sad5: Do you know what the value of it would be today?

I just checked some websites, and one said that pre-1964 Frisbees are worth hundreds of dollars to collectors. No
Back to top Go down
Kathleen Marie
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Kathleen Marie

Number of posts : 685

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Does anyone remember the Dawn dolls? I had the Dawn Beauty Pageant. I ended up getting the Crissy and Velvet dolls on e-bay and have them in my room. They were the dolls that when you press the button on their tummy their hair would grow.

Does anyone remember the Quick Curl Barbie? It came with a plastic curling iron and you could curl her hair? Of course the hair was beyond wirey, but I thought it was such a neat doll.

Be careful what you throw away KathyKeeper1
Back to top Go down
Kathleen Marie
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Kathleen Marie

Number of posts : 685

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Okay, who remembers the game The Mystery Date? I had that game back in the early 70's...

Be careful what you throw away KathyKeeper1
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 6:58 pm

Amy wrote:
LOL, Savannah, I was just hunting around Ebay and boy did that bring back memories! I'll go get the picture. Congrats on your garage sale find! I'd scoop them up too---you and I would have had a down and out brawl over that one! grinsmiley Did you happen to have a set called "The Honeybunch Kids"...they were a tiny stuffed doll set, and they lived in a treehouse (Um, it was the 70's, that's all I can say :unsure: ). Anyway, they were always near and dear to my heart too! Wink

Ok, here's the link to the set I had...however my "Steve" had pants, mind you. Wink

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunshine-Family-Steve-Stephie-Sweets-and-Baby_W0QQitemZ300272400572QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDolls?hash=item300272400572&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318#ebayphotohosti

Yup! That's the set, Amy. My Aunt Beckie is only a couple of years older than I am, and she and I used to play with our Sunshine Family dolls together. She named the little girl "Lucretia". I have NO idea where that came from! :haha:

And I loved the Honeybunch Kids, too. Such cute toys!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 7:00 pm

Kathleen Marie wrote:
Does anyone remember the Dawn dolls? I had the Dawn Beauty Pageant. I ended up getting the Crissy and Velvet dolls on e-bay and have them in my room. They were the dolls that when you press the button on their tummy their hair would grow.

Does anyone remember the Quick Curl Barbie? It came with a plastic curling iron and you could curl her hair? Of course the hair was beyond wirey, but I thought it was such a neat doll.

My Aunt Dawn had one of those dolls that you'd press their tummy and their hair would grow! I always thought that was the coolest thing. I think her's was the Crissy doll.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 7:06 pm

Kathleen Marie wrote:
Okay, who remembers the game The Mystery Date? I had that game back in the early 70's...

I remember the commercial for it!

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21124
Mood : Be careful what you throw away Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 12:26 am

Amy wrote:

Ummm, could it be Steve's cousin, The MOONshine Family........ Whistle

Be careful what you throw away Rhonda10Be careful what you throw away Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 12:44 am

:Hahaha: Rhonda!!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 10:19 am

ROFL...love it Rhonda!! ROTFL

Kathy---YES, Chrissy & Velvet!!! And Dawn!! You are about my oldest sister's age---my oldest had Velvet and my middle sister had Chrissy. Little Amy was left out, as usual. No Oh, woe is me! bawling LOL, who needs American Girl dolls when you can have Chrissy & Velvet?! batEyes

Savannah, you had the Honeybunch kids TOO?!?!? We must not be far apart in age....Ok, here's another one for ya---did you have the "Mandy" doll? She was SO cute, not your 'typical' doll. I had pajamas for her and a couple of cute dresses.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OLD-1970s-FISHER-PRICE-DOLLS-MY-FRIEND-MANDY-JENNY_W0QQitemZ230306821054QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDolls?hash=item230306821054&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Hey, I just noticed that the "Jenny" doll in that pic looks a lot like the Little House Jenny! Scary. Huh?

I did find a pic of the Honeybunch kids on EBay but the only one they had was a the baby, and funny---I never noticed before that she actually looks evil! :unsure:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1975-HONEY-BUNCH-HONEYBUNCH-HILL-DOLL-LIL-KID_W0QQitemZ160190698105QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDolls?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

And yep, we had the Mystery Date game too---again, it belonged to the older sissies. Huh?

And Rob, that frisbee is worth hundreds of dollars?! WHAT a bummer. :sad5:

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 10:35 am

Rob wrote:
Kathleen Marie wrote:

I remember the commercial for it!

Oh my GOSH, the girls in that commercial are hilarious!!! ROTFL

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 1:55 pm

Amy....The Mandy doll and her friends seem to be a prelude to the American Girl dolls.........The features and all are so close........

My sisters and I had the Barbies, Dawn Dolls, Chrissy and Velvet dolls, and we also had the Flatsy dolls, Pee Wee dolls and of course all the trolls in the world..... :haha:

Flatsy Be careful what you throw away 344c_1

Trolls Be careful what you throw away P1090304

Pee Wee

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 2:16 pm

Yes, the Mandy dolls ARE a lot like the American Girl dolls, you're right! Hmm, I've never seen "Flatsy" before---too funny!

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

Number of posts : 10766

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 3:49 am

I had lots of trolls.
Be careful what you throw away Thouse

They lived in a house like this.

Be careful what you throw away Animaltrolls

They also had pets.

Spring is finally here, the lovely pink blooms on the "spray" tree outside my window are gone leaving a beautiful willow.
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 5:09 pm

Kathleen Marie wrote:

I got a Quick Curl Francie for Christmas when I was in second grade. It's probably still at my parents' house. Mom doesn't throw out anything.

Be careful what you throw away Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 5:37 pm

I had a troll house like that!!! But we liked to go outside and 'build' them houses with mom and daddy's landscaping rocks....... Laughing

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 5:51 pm

Lori wrote:
Kathleen Marie wrote:

I got a Quick Curl Francie for Christmas when I was in second grade. It's probably still at my parents' house. Mom doesn't throw out anything.

Lori, my mom didn't throw much out either. She still has a lot of our Fisher Price "Peoples" stuff....the school, the house, the farm---even the hospital! Of course, all that stuff was deemed 'unsafe' for kids, but her grandkids sure did love going to grandma's house to play with everything! It's a wonder any of us lived to be as old as we are, isn't it?!? grinsmiley Fisher Price came out with all the new safe 'take-offs' of Peoples, and yet my kids and my daycare kids have never given a hoot about them. There was just sth about those originals!

Oh, we had this too:

Be careful what you throw away Snakes_on_a_fisherprice_plane

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Be careful what you throw away   Be careful what you throw away Empty

Back to top Go down

Be careful what you throw away
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next