Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

John Adams

Go down 
+2
Rob
Amy
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : John - John Adams - Page 2 Love-s10

John - John Adams - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: John Adams   John - John Adams - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 12:28 pm

Rob wrote:
Wow! I love the correspondence between John and Abigail... how they'd call each other "My Dearest Friend," and the like. Their relationship seemed a bit ahead of its time.

And yes, it's nice that Adams and Jefferson were able to rekindle their friendship. They were two incredible human beings. Our country was so lucky that we just happened to have people like that in the position they were in at that moment in history.

I so agree with you...they really were all three ahead of their times, I think, and we've reaped the benefits.yes They called Jefferson the 'pen' and Adams 'the voice'. Something else that's interesting....Jefferson did not value the opinions of other women, only Abigail. He had her way up on a pedestal, and must have valued her perspective greatly to speak with her about politics as often as he did. She was obviously one incredible woman.

Ah, "My dearest friend". I love that. loveheart On her deathbed Abigail said to her husband, "Do not grieve, my friend, my dearest friend. I am ready to go. And John, it will not be long." cryB
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : John - John Adams - Page 2 Love-s10

John - John Adams - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: John Adams   John - John Adams - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 4:12 pm

One more thing and then I'll shut up about John Adams. greenS

Did you all know that, contrary to popular belief, John owned no slaves? He believed that slavery was an abomination against God, and farmed his own, either by his own blood, sweat and tears, or by hired hand, while most others in congress (Thomas Jefferson for one) own hundreds of slaves. I find that so admirable, and again, ahead of his time. yes
Back to top Go down

John Adams
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2