Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Melissa's Autobiography

Go down 
+26
Rob
LHOTPFan
Honeybee
Praire Girl
Shell
Ruth
littlehouselover
Davetucson
Savannah
charles ingalls
LIWnut
Krissy
Julia
Vanesa
MissOleson
Cetacea
jes9
JW
ChristinaAL
Kristina
Carol
Gin
Amy
bethandmanly
Robinsgirl
carolineingalls
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374
Mood : Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 Bokmal10

Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 6:43 pm

The book was called "Prairie Talk". Very LITTLE Prairie and lots of Melissa. To each his own. grinsmiley

I think it was a disapponitment for Little House fans because they simply wanted to hear more about The Little House Days with more info on the cast members. She chose not to do that and thats the way it is. It was her book.

The one thing thing the book did do for me is tell me exactly what kind of individual she is. I was never naive enough to think she was a Laura. Anyone that thinks actors are like their characters needs some psychological help.

My disappointment with it is that I am simply tired of reading about these celebs that screw themselves, and their kids up with alchohol and drugs, and then go out and tell the world how they have straightened up. And make money doing it! There are millions of people that have done exactly that with no fan-fare.

As far as Jonathon goes, I don't think she liked him when she slapped him around and I don't think she likes him now.

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 9:27 pm

MissOleson wrote:
I I never got the impression that she was trying too hard to not "be" Laura anymore. Apparently she still wanted to be on the show when she was hanging around the Brat Pack. Remember the moment when she was out with Rob Lowe and, I think, Franis Ford Coppola (correct me if I am wrong about that one, please Smile )? And she talked about how these girls came over to talk to her because of LH. And she liked the fact that they did because they were saying what the show meant in to them in their lives. She even talked about getting a kick out of touching something that actually belonged to the real Laura. So I never really got that impression from her.

To clarify, I didn't mean she didn't want to be "Laura" back then. I was referring to her book coming across as blatantly trying to hard to not be "Laura" to her fans. She knew who would be buying this book, and the swearing and tone of the book were for shock value. And it worked. Yikes

MissOleson wrote:
You know there are people out there that think Alison Arngrim is really like Nellie in real life. So I do think that, for those people who do believe it, there is no harm in making it clear that they aren't.

I personally think that Melissa could have told her story in a far less crass way and still gotten her point across. Just my opinion, but the way I read it she was going out of her way to be the 'bad girl'. I honestly never expected 'Laura', when I opened that book, but I certainly did expect some couth from Melissa Gilbert. No
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 12:22 am

Davetucson wrote:
The book was called "Prairie Talk". Very LITTLE Prairie and lots of Melissa. To each his own. grinsmiley

I think it was a disapponitment for Little House fans because they simply wanted to hear more about The Little House Days with more info on the cast members. She chose not to do that and thats the way it is. It was her book.

The one thing thing the book did do for me is tell me exactly what kind of individual she is. I was never naive enough to think she was a Laura. Anyone that thinks actors are like their characters needs some psychological help.

My disappointment with it is that I am simply tired of reading about these celebs that screw themselves, and their kids up with alchohol and drugs, and then go out and tell the world how they have straightened up. And make money doing it! There are millions of people that have done exactly that with no fan-fare.

As far as Jonathon goes, I don't think she liked him when she slapped him around and I don't think she likes him now.

Good said, Dave! I share your opinion Thumbsup

Vanesa.

Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Praire Girl
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 132

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 5:53 am

[quote="Davetucson"]The book was called "Prairie Talk". Very LITTLE Prairie and lots of Melissa. To each his own. grinsmiley quote}

I agree, with that title, it made fans think more than a chapter or so would be about LHOP. If the title was "Melissa Gilbert My Life" or something lke that, it would be less deceitful.

Alison's book wasn't always kind, but gave more info on filming etc and her relationships with some characters. Others they just ignored like they never were on the set. MSA had a lot of flack on her book and I initially thought it was a bit boring, but now I see it somewhat differently. She was trying to be nice, not gossip and just be honest about what she could remember. All the adult stars seemed to have good memories of Melissa Sue and I think it was just Melissa Gilbert and Alison that had issues with her being different.
She seemed to have a good life later though, married still with kids and looks great. Sometimes being out of the limelight is better for you.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 2:42 pm

[quote="Praire Girl"]
Davetucson wrote:
The book was called "Prairie Talk". Very LITTLE Prairie and lots of Melissa. To each his own. grinsmiley quote}

I agree, with that title, it made fans think more than a chapter or so would be about LHOP. If the title was "Melissa Gilbert My Life" or something lke that, it would be less deceitful.

I never really thought about the title, Dave & Prairie Girl...I do agree with that. Maybe something like, "Beyond the Prairie" ??? Something that would make you guess it didn't have much to do with the show. (oh wait, I think that was the name of one of the mini-series. Oh well, you know what I mean. Wink ).

Prairie Girl wrote:
MSA had a lot of flack on her book and I initially thought it was a bit boring, but now I see it somewhat differently. She was trying to be nice, not gossip and just be honest about what she could remember.

I have a lot of respect for MSA and the way she's lived her life. But basically the book was a summary of the episodes....considering the people who are reading it are die-hard fans, no one needed her to explain episodes when we all know them backwards and forwards. That was my issue with it...I didn't need a tell-all, but more details and behind the scenes would have been appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 2:47 pm

Matt obviously read the books too!
Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 Albert45

Last edited by Davetucson on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 2:49 pm

Haha! Laughing
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 5:19 pm

Prairie Girl wrote:
MSA had a lot of flack on her book and I initially thought it was a bit boring, but now I see it somewhat differently. She was trying to be nice, not gossip and just be honest about what she could remember.

Quote :
I have a lot of respect for MSA and the way she's lived her life. But basically the book was a summary of the episodes....considering the people who are reading it are die-hard fans, no one needed her to explain episodes when we all know them backwards and forwards. That was my issue with it...I didn't need a tell-all, but more details and behind the scenes would have been appreciated.
[/quote]

That was my only beef with the book, she was so cautious, it was a bit too lame. But she had her morals, her views, and if she didn't want to join in some of the things going on, that was her right. She did a great job on the screen.

They all had issue with Mr. Landon's affair, but I was surprised Melissa G went so long without talking to him. I guess even if you aren't living a pristine life, everyone has their test of what they will tolerate. I'm glad they made up later. He wasn't Charles Ingall's and he gave her a great start in her career.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 12:14 am

Good one, Dave! laugh3 ROTFL

Vanesa.

Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

Number of posts : 3301
Mood : Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 12:20 pm

Davetucson wrote:
Matt obviously read the books too!
Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 Albert43

LOL! laugh3
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 11:37 pm

Amy wrote:
MissOleson wrote:
You know there are people out there that think Alison Arngrim is really like Nellie in real life. So I do think that, for those people who do believe it, there is no harm in making it clear that they aren't.

I personally think that Melissa could have told her story in a far less crass way and still gotten her point across. Just my opinion, but the way I read it she was going out of her way to be the 'bad girl'. I honestly never expected 'Laura', when I opened that book, but I certainly did expect some couth from Melissa Gilbert. No

And I think that's what gets some people about the book. Couldn't she have told her story in a more civilized manner? I think I said this somewhere in this thread or in another, but Alison's book is funny because she didn't try to reinvent herself with it. She's always seemed rough around the edges to me. She swears and she's loud. Melissa, for the most part, was quiet on a lot about her personal life. Not only did she open the doors to her fans about her life--the good, the bad, and the ugly--but she did it in a way that I don't believe was expected. The swearing felt forced. She shared things in the book that added nothing to it. And how she told the story overall, just left me feeling like she tried too hard to let people know she was about more than being Laura, despite her adult fans probably not seeing her as Laura anymore. Crass is the perfect word, Amy. Alison's book was hilarious. Melissa's just didn't work for me.
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 6:08 am

I really don't understand "tweeting", it seems like facebook but I guess anyone can see it. I checked Melissa's after another LHOP site said that is where they heard of the book last year she was writing just on the Little House years.

All I saw were things about her trip, moving, going out with friends and TV...and then this:

Tweetiepies, My boyfriend & I broke up. I am
very sad but thanks to him I've grown in unimaginable ways. For that I
will be 4ever grateful.
[i]"Im telling you this to
hopefully circumvent any stupid tabloid stories. That is all I have to
say on the subject. Period. Full stop

I know I'm getting old, I don't know half the people on the tabloid covers in the supermarket if they aren't older stars, but who could she have been dating that would be tabloid material? I thought after her divorce, it was just a regular guy. It's sad in a way, that 30 years after LHOP, anyone would care who she was dating or that she would think they do.
I found this out of curiosity, I guess it's a more "hollywood" type of life. She talks of her looks too, I feel sorry for her as she gets older, it seems her self-esteem still isn't very good and living there, it's not a good combination.
http://www.lifeandstylemag.com/entertainment/news/melissa-gilberts-boyfriend-revealed-dwts-star-dating-hot-frenchman-thierry#.UH_V0mfmlOg

I know memories grow dim, but even if someone had unseen photos and did a book with large glossy photos and stories behind the scenes, it would sell with fans, wouldn't have to be a large amount of books. A TV special could do all that without the expense...and with the movie coming out..
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 10:22 am

littlehouselover wrote:
I really don't understand "tweeting", it seems like facebook but I guess anyone can see it. I checked Melissa's after another LHOP site said that is where they heard of the book last year she was writing just on the Little House years.

All I saw were things about her trip, moving, going out with friends and TV...and then this:

Tweetiepies, My boyfriend & I broke up. I am
very sad but thanks to him I've grown in unimaginable ways. For that I
will be 4ever grateful.
[i]"Im telling you this to
hopefully circumvent any stupid tabloid stories. That is all I have to
say on the subject. Period. Full stop

I know I'm getting old, I don't know half the people on the tabloid covers in the supermarket if they aren't older stars, but who could she have been dating that would be tabloid material? I thought after her divorce, it was just a regular guy. It's sad in a way, that 30 years after LHOP, anyone would care who she was dating or that she would think they do.
I found this out of curiosity, I guess it's a more "hollywood" type of life. She talks of her looks too, I feel sorry for her as she gets older, it seems her self-esteem still isn't very good and living there, it's not a good combination.
http://www.lifeandstylemag.com/entertainment/news/melissa-gilberts-boyfriend-revealed-dwts-star-dating-hot-frenchman-thierry#.UH_V0mfmlOg

I know memories grow dim, but even if someone had unseen photos and did a book with large glossy photos and stories behind the scenes, it would sell with fans, wouldn't have to be a large amount of books. A TV special could do all that without the expense...and with the movie coming out..
Jonathon Can Say It better Than Me!
Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 Willie19

Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

Number of posts : 3301
Mood : Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 10:49 am

Ha! Between Albert's "Winoka" grin, & Willie's tongue... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 2:39 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
And I think that's what gets some people about the book. Couldn't she have told her story in a more civilized manner? I think I said this somewhere in this thread or in another, but Alison's book is funny because she didn't try to reinvent herself with it. She's always seemed rough around the edges to me. She swears and she's loud. Melissa, for the most part, was quiet on a lot about her personal life. Not only did she open the doors to her fans about her life--the good, the bad, and the ugly--but she did it in a way that I don't believe was expected. The swearing felt forced. She shared things in the book that added nothing to it. And how she told the story overall, just left me feeling like she tried too hard to let people know she was about more than being Laura, despite her adult fans probably not seeing her as Laura anymore. Crass is the perfect word, Amy. Alison's book was hilarious. Melissa's just didn't work for me.

I haven't read Alison's but I'd like to. And you're right, I would know exactly what to expect from Alison's book, even without reading any reviews about it, because everyone knows her personality. I know it won't be a complete surprise. You are spot on with your 'reinvent' analysis....to me that is exactly what it felt like Melissa was doing.

Thanks LittleHouseLover for digging deep for news regarding Melissa's new book. I hope she doesn't keep that on the back burner for too long---I have high hopes for that one! Wink Maybe she'll have more time now that her French beau is out of the picture. batEyes
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 5:51 pm

I'm ready to see the day Melissa has that moment of calm within her that says she no longer has to be something else. I feel she has wildly tried to be the opposite everyone else has had her pegged to be. I have a feeling it is somehow going to come and she will never see it catching her.
My want for her is to be a success in life as she has on screen and stage.

Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 6:39 am

I saw this posted somewhere...someone was asking Melissa a question:

“@brianciolko: if there was one thing you would like to accomplish in 2013 what would that be?” Finish writing my 3rd book
Expand

So maybe...

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 12:24 pm

Oh, that would certainly be wonderful if she did!! Applause
Back to top Go down
Toby
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Toby

Number of posts : 239

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2015 7:59 pm

I checked this book out from the library and appreciate Melissa's honesty. I do wonder if all the stuff she shared about her relationship with Bruce ended up causing trouble in their marriage. I'm pretty sure I've read through this thread in the past and that's why I read her book knowing what to expect.

There wasn't as much Little House as I would've liked, but she was about 44 when she wrote the book and only spent 10 years on Little House. I'm not going to fault her for use of the F word when Alison Arngrim did the same thing in her book. It seems like many of the celebrities Melissa hung out with used that kind of language and from many accounts, Michael Landon himself often used that kind of language.

It would be nice if she elaborated on her issues with Jonathan Gilbert. She did say she's only seen him three times in the last two decades and that she felt bad for her mother because he left home when he was eighteen and cut himself off from the family.

I'm also not mad at her for what she wrote about Melissa Sue Anderson. I actually thought Alison's book was much harsher towards her. I only give it a slim possibility that Melissa Gilbert, Alison Arngrim, and Radames Pera are all lying about the way Melissa Sue acted towards them on the set.

I would definitely say the best parts of the book are when she wrote about Michael Landon, especially after viewing The Miracle Worker, after filming The Last Farewell, at Leslie's wedding, and her visit with him before he died.

It is sad that she let herself get involved with drugs and alcohol and had so much trouble with men. She tries to explain that feeling abandoned by her real parents and her adoptive mother sprinkling everything with fairy dust and never allowing her to grieve or express her feelings as a child had a lot to do with her issues later in life, but it seems that many people want to judge her for her mistakes instead of admiring the courage it took for her to admit all of them to the world.
Back to top Go down
https://littlehousebluray.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Melissa's Autobiography
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7