Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

hi I love little house on the prairie

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

hi I love little house on the prairie Empty
PostSubject: hi I love little house on the prairie   hi I love little house on the prairie EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 5:27 am

My name is Julie and I started rewatching little house on the prairie when I got cable when I moved

well I decided to reproduce what I said to administrator when asked if I liked the books or series more in the next post

I am happy this site is here.

Last edited by daysoflongago on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hi I love little house on the prairie   hi I love little house on the prairie EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 5:28 am

I said the following:

"1. Are you more into the books & real Laura Ingalls or the TV Show?

hmmm I loved the books and read them to my two children when they were small all the way up to these Happy Golden Years and the First Four Years. We were disappointed when we ran out of books and I think we started over reading them again.

I remember how much fun my boys and I had reading while we ate some special snack and they listened eagerly and we smiled and caressed one another. It was a warm time that brings good memories.

I remember we read the whole LHOTP series, the many wizard of oz books in the series and the lion, witch, and wardrobe books, est aloud and I feel it really brought us close together.

I remember my oldest son's involvement with what we were reading and both their interest was strong I recall my oldest Jeffrey, especially delighting in the part where Laura got back at Nellie in the creek with the leeches. He got so animated about it and loved the payback. The devastation of the locust amazed me as I never realized things like that happened before.

Through this in part, my oldest gained an interest in outdoor survival and I indulged in my interest in wild foods.. Due to reading this series, now when I go to museums ever since with old furniture, toys, log cabins and the like, I am greatly interested...the books taught me how to dig wells and make doors and all that.

When I go to some historic site with log cabins, I always looked at the notched logs and so forth. I do love them still even though I am now in my late 50s. I even started reading them to my grown brother once on a long car trip while he drove and he liked them too though we did not get past a book or two then.It helped pass the long hours for the two week trip.

I remember watching the original series back then and was always so grateful for it for the wonderful values it contained that helped me have teachable moments with my sons and have good role models to help in rearing them well and for its mention of God and how so many episodes were funny and always being amazed how every episode nearly was either filled with fun and humor, a great lesson, a dramatic or touching tale etc.

The people involved had great genius and what a legacy they left behind. I got re-interested when I got cable a while back for the first time ever and started taping the show and thus sought out a board and liked yours. I think I found it cause I somehow looked up Melissa Gilbert to see what she currently looked like and this lead me to her fan club and the most wonderful picture of her house with her dress form the series in a picture with grasses of the prairie and a table with a model of the house which I thought was so lovely and cool that I used it on my desktop a while, I am going to include it as an attachment. The show did such a wonderful job of casting the many characters. I only recently learned that Willie was Melissa's brother in real life (both adopted) which was neat and find it so compelling that she is going to play ma in a play in this current day.

So I cannot choose as I love both the books and the series, but how fortunate Mrs Wilder wrote down the stories so we could see how human were the people from the past and how the pioneers lived and worked and suffered and loved and how great how they made the series to have so many connections to current day life with stories like Albert's opiate addiction, Mr Edward's alcoholism and how it destroys families, the dad who pushed his child to sports and did not appreciate what he really loved, the school cliques and all the rest, how it could always be so entertaining and I remember how funny that one episode was where Mr Edwards and pa followed the boys in the woods thinking the boys would tire out while they themselves suffered through rain and hunger and one episode after another. That was truly funny. All those great character and stories. What a legacy Michael Landon left behind and I like how they extended the stories and characters in the book and could come up with all these interesting stories and how one promoted the other. Those who found the book wanted to watch the series and those who found the series sought out the books,

As a former educator, I always took a special interest in the many wonderful children's books out there and even thought of becoming a children's librarian so I can't rightly pick a best..book or series..as both were excellent."
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62619
Mood : hi I love little house on the prairie Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: hi I love little house on the prairie   hi I love little house on the prairie EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 7:43 am

Welcome to the board, Julie! I really enjoyed your well thought-out reply. Applause
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : hi I love little house on the prairie Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: hi I love little house on the prairie   hi I love little house on the prairie EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 10:27 am

daysoflongago wrote:
I remember watching the original series back then and was always so grateful for it for the wonderful values it contained that helped me have teachable moments with my sons and have good role models to help in rearing them well and for its mention of God and how so many episodes were funny and always being amazed how every episode nearly was either filled with fun and humor, a great lesson, a dramatic or touching tale etc.

I couldn't agree more! And I enjoyed your post as well Julie. Wink Welcome to the board! Thumbsup

Your 'username' is super cute too! Wink
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
hi I love little house on the prairie Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : hi I love little house on the prairie Happy010

PostSubject: Re: hi I love little house on the prairie   hi I love little house on the prairie EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 11:22 am

Hi, Julie! Welcome to the board! Don't be shy - feel free to join right in on the fun. Wave

daysoflongago wrote:
I remember we read the whole LHOTP series, the many wizard of oz books in the series and the lion, witch, and wardrobe books, est aloud and I feel it really brought us close together.

The Chronicles of Narnia and the Little House books were an annual tradition in my family, too. We read through both series of books every year with my niece and nephews, and I have some wonderful memories because of it. There's something so amazingly magical about reading stories aloud to children. Love I miss that. But I'm so thankful for the beautiful memories.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hi I love little house on the prairie   hi I love little house on the prairie EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 8:48 pm

Welcome, Julie! Wave
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
hi I love little house on the prairie LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : hi I love little house on the prairie Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: hi I love little house on the prairie   hi I love little house on the prairie EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 1:53 pm

Welcome to the forum! Cheer

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hi I love little house on the prairie   hi I love little house on the prairie Empty

Back to top Go down

hi I love little house on the prairie
Page 1 of 1