Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Please forgive my noobness

Go down 
+3
bethandmanly
Savannah
Joe
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

Number of posts : 875
Mood : Please forgive my noobness Innoce10

Please forgive my noobness Empty
PostSubject: Please forgive my noobness   Please forgive my noobness EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 8:16 pm

I hope you guys and guyettes do not mind someone with fresh eyes in regards to Little House asking questions that you have probably answered dozens of times but........

In what years does the show historically take place?
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Please forgive my noobness Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54426
Mood : Please forgive my noobness Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Please forgive my noobness   Please forgive my noobness EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 9:31 pm

Well, in the second season they celebrate the Centennial, so I would presume that the series was supposed to have begun in 1875. Of course....they don't always follow logic, so I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Please forgive my noobness Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Please forgive my noobness   Please forgive my noobness EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 12:54 am

There was never any timeline, so you have to go by the few dates mentioned in the show. People have tried to put a timeline together, and there is even one online, but it's inaccurate. And there are also inconsistencies between episodes, so it's hard to tell.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Please forgive my noobness Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Please forgive my noobness   Please forgive my noobness EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 1:17 pm

Well, what comes to my mind is that in one episode Miss Beadel mentions that the Civil War has only been over 11 yrs. The war was from 1861-1865. SO I would think at that point it was 1876. I think Mary was probably around 12.
Its hard to tell, but you can only go by when things were invented or events happend.
Laura saw so many of these changes in her lifetime.

Please forgive my noobness Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
jes9
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
jes9

Number of posts : 1066

PostSubject: Re: Please forgive my noobness   Please forgive my noobness EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 9:27 pm

Another episode that mentions a date, I think, is Times Are Changing, or maybe it's one of the season 8 episodes, and I think the date is 1887. Then, in Bless All the Dear Children, Charles mentions the year is 1896. If that were true, then Jenny and Nancy should have been 20 or so in BAtDC. Instead, they were what, 11 or 12? And then there are the episodes where the better part of a year elapses during one episode, such as The Lord Is My Shepherd. The writers just weren't very consistent with this sort of thing. In addition, there are the numerous anachronisms, such as the phonograph and telephones showing up in Walnut Grove when they did, the playing of football in Walnut Grove and Dakota Territory probably long before it spread that far west, and mentions of basketball and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Please forgive my noobness JohnKeeper
Back to top Go down
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

Number of posts : 875
Mood : Please forgive my noobness Innoce10

PostSubject: Re: Please forgive my noobness   Please forgive my noobness EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 10:20 pm

Facinating, thank you all.
The reason I asked was that I recently purchased a book published in 1870 and liked to think that the Ingalls may have had the book in their library. I plan on posting some of the book here, I think some people might find it.....interesting to say the least.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Please forgive my noobness   Please forgive my noobness EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 1:00 am

jes9 wrote:
Another episode that mentions a date, I think, is Times Are Changing, or maybe it's one of the season 8 episodes, and I think the date is 1887. Then, in Bless All the Dear Children, Charles mentions the year is 1896. If that were true, then Jenny and Nancy should have been 20 or so in BAtDC. Instead, they were what, 11 or 12? And then there are the episodes where the better part of a year elapses during one episode, such as The Lord Is My Shepherd. The writers just weren't very consistent with this sort of thing. In addition, there are the numerous anachronisms, such as the phonograph and telephones showing up in Walnut Grove when they did, the playing of football in Walnut Grove and Dakota Territory probably long before it spread that far west, and mentions of basketball and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Or the fact that gift wrap wasn't invented yet, but Almanzo managed to wrap Laura's 16th birthday gift in a floral wrapping paper with a curly ribbon? :haha:

Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: Please forgive my noobness   Please forgive my noobness EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 10:57 am

bethandmanly wrote:
Or the fact that gift wrap wasn't invented yet, but Almanzo managed to wrap Laura's 16th birthday gift in a floral wrapping paper with a curly ribbon? :haha:

The wrapping paper always bugged me too, especially in A Christmas They Never Forgot. Caroline's present that she got as a girl was wrapped in very bright paper with pink curly ribbon. Do you know when wrapping paper was invented, Cheryl? I've tried finding that out but never came up with anything. I assume it was until after WWII since during that time they were still putting presents on the tree.

Please forgive my noobness Lorike10
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Please forgive my noobness   Please forgive my noobness EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 1:37 pm

Lori wrote:
bethandmanly wrote:

The wrapping paper always bugged me too, especially in A Christmas They Never Forgot. Caroline's present that she got as a girl was wrapped in very bright paper with pink curly ribbon. Do you know when wrapping paper was invented, Cheryl? I've tried finding that out but never came up with anything. I assume it was until after WWII since during that time they were still putting presents on the tree.

This site gives a history of gift wrap: http://mymerrychristmas.com/2006/historyofwrap.shtml

The interesting thing is that Scotch tape wasn't invented until 1930, four decades after wrapping paper. Gee, it must have been fun to wrap gifts before that. I can't even wrap gifts now. :haha:

Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: Please forgive my noobness   Please forgive my noobness EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 10:43 am

Thanks for the link, Cheryl!

Please forgive my noobness Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Please forgive my noobness Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Please forgive my noobness   Please forgive my noobness EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 1:23 pm

If nothing else, the wrapping paper should have been like that in the song: "brown paper packaging tied up in strings"....that would have made a tad more sense.

Your thread title is too cute, silent partner! Thumbsup

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Please forgive my noobness   Please forgive my noobness EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 2:07 pm

I was looking for a good video clip to post of the movie on Youtube, but there isn't a very good one. Blue

Okay, now I am freaking out because two seconds ago I saw a post by Savannah about "My Favorite Things" and now it's not there.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please forgive my noobness   Please forgive my noobness Empty

Back to top Go down

Please forgive my noobness
Page 1 of 1