Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Dean Butler project -- need feedback

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : New Dean Butler project -- need feedback Bokmal10

New Dean Butler project -- need feedback Empty
PostSubject: New Dean Butler project -- need feedback   New Dean Butler project -- need feedback EmptyFri May 29, 2009 10:26 am

Hello all,

Dean Butler is looking for feedback from fans, teachers and parents on his new project idea.

Please see his message below.

Cheryl

I wanted to thank all of you for your support of ALMANZO WILDER: LIFE BEFORE LAURA. Thanks to all those who have purchased it. For those who haven’t the DVD is available at the Wilder Homestead in Burke, NY. You can order the DVD on-line at www.almanzowilderfarm.com.

Beyond Little House, American history has always been something that interests me, so I’m pleased to announce that I’m going to be producing other documentaries that feature American heroes and patriots. The idea is to make these stories come alive for young people in particular and hopefully inspire them to make a difference in the world and in our country. I’m also more than pleased to tell you that I’m working on a production paradigm that would deliver these “slice of history” DVDs to school children for about the cost of a Happy Meal or a paperback book!

Some of you out there are teachers and parents and you certainly have an interest in the education of children… I would love to hear from you. Which of the following titles do you think would have the most appeal to 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students and teachers? Here are some of the ones under consideration:

Tom Savage – early Colonial period - a young boy from England who, at 13, stowed away on a vessel leaving London for the Virginia colonies. He was traded to the Powhatan Tribe in exchange for a Native American boy. Tom provided valuable information about Native American culture (as well as information about the likelihood of attacks) to the colonists.

Benjamin Banneker – Revolutionary War era - a Revolutionary War patriot and an African American freeman who aided in the design of the Capitol. A man of great accomplishment, Banneker wrote a famous letter to Thomas Jefferson, advocating the abolition of slavery. A child prodigy, Banneker was also an astronomer and published an almanac.

Sybil Ludington – Revolutionary War era - At the tender age of 16, Sybil Ludington, daughter of an American military leader, took a midnight ride longer and more dangerous than Paul Revere’s famous ride, to warn the colonists that the British had invaded Danbury.

Spy Kids of the American Revolution – Revolutionary Era - Dicey Langston and John Darragh are only two of the young people who were used as spies and messengers during the American Revolution. The fact that they were mere children meant they were often overlooked by adults and therefore were valuable messengers... though it was dangerous work. John Darragh, 14, would listen in on the British officers who took over a room in his parents’ house. His mother would sew information into his coat buttons so he could deliver “intelligence” to George Washington’s army. Dicey Langston, 15, often overheard neighbors and loyalists talking about troop movements. When she heard that the British were planning to attack her brother’s militia, she ran to warn them, swimming though the Tyger River in the middle of the night to do it.

Elizabeth Blackwell – Pre Civil War - the first woman doctor in America. After being rejected by over 20 medical schools, Elizabeth was finally admitted to Geneva Medical College as a prank. But she stuck it out and graduated first in her class in 1849, despite the fact that she was forbidden to attend certain anatomy classes which were deemed improper for a lady to attend.

Maggie Walker – Post Civil War -A community leader and civil rights advocate born in 1867, Maggie was the first woman (and an African American) to start a bank in the United States. Despite the recent economic downturn, the bank she started is still in existence today.

Other titles under consideration are the more familiar ones: Betsy Ross, Martha Washington, Pocahontas.

So this is your chance to help design the future of my venture into American History! Write to me and let me know which titles interest you the most. Feel free to suggest other names as well.

Please respond to dean@legacydocumentaries.com.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21164
Mood : New Dean Butler project -- need feedback Purple2

PostSubject: Re: New Dean Butler project -- need feedback   New Dean Butler project -- need feedback EmptyFri May 29, 2009 11:22 am

WOW, all of the mentioned people in history have a very interesting story behind them. Perhaps he should just do a mini series that hits on them all..... :think:

New Dean Butler project -- need feedback Rhonda10New Dean Butler project -- need feedback Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
New Dean Butler project -- need feedback Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54425
Mood : New Dean Butler project -- need feedback Happy010

PostSubject: Re: New Dean Butler project -- need feedback   New Dean Butler project -- need feedback EmptyFri May 29, 2009 2:06 pm

Wow, these would all make wonderful movies! I'd love to see him start with the earliest project and work his way chronologically forward. Thumbsup It could be a really exciting way to bring history to life for kids who think that history is boring.
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : New Dean Butler project -- need feedback Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: New Dean Butler project -- need feedback   New Dean Butler project -- need feedback EmptyFri May 29, 2009 3:31 pm

This is a great idea. Its time to give our kids more about history. They would love any of these stories. I think it all depends on how they are brought to "life.".

New Dean Butler project -- need feedback Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: New Dean Butler project -- need feedback   New Dean Butler project -- need feedback EmptySat May 30, 2009 7:59 pm

I think all of his ideas sound great.

New Dean Butler project -- need feedback Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Dean Butler project -- need feedback   New Dean Butler project -- need feedback Empty

Back to top Go down

New Dean Butler project -- need feedback
Page 1 of 1