Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What do you think?

Go down 
+7
bethandmanly
Alice
Amy
Rob
Kristina
pamh36
JW
11 posters
AuthorMessage
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : What do you think? Happy011

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 10:54 pm

As some of you know i am a Home schooler i have been thinking of doing home school till 10th Grade then go to School for Grade 11 and 12 now i am wondering is grade 11 and 12 very hard? my School Books are diffrent then they have in school so i don't know what i should do :unsure:

What do you think? Jacobk10What do you think? Jacob210
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 8:38 am

That does sound like a tough choice to make, Jacob. My son will be starting 10th grade this coming school year, but he has always gone to public school. I know for 9th grade it was the first time he really had some difficulty, in subjects like geometry and physical science. Possibly your local school would let you come in and talk to them about what you will be learning and give you time to look at the books to help determine if this is a step you want to make.

Some aspects about going to school may be very nice to you, such as having the chance to make special memories with your peers.

If this is something you really want to try, I think you should.

What do you think? PamKeeper
Back to top Go down

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 6:23 pm

I agree with pam!!

The pasters' children at my church were homeschooled! then they went to high school and they liked it
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 1:42 pm

Thanks Pam & Krissy

Back to top Go down

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 5:19 pm

Your welcome !...
Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7855
Mood : What do you think? Bokmal10

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 5:19 pm

if you want to try going to public school, you should try it! a lot of people say (and I believe it's true) that high school gives you both the best and worst times of your lives. in four days, I'll be a junior! the past 2 years have gone by soo fast for me! but if you do go to public school, it'll be fun, you'll learn alot, and you'll make some great friends too!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62609
Mood : What do you think? Goodsi10

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 6:34 pm

pamh36 wrote:
Some aspects about going to school may be very nice to you, such as having the chance to make special memories with your peers.

I was homeschooled, but my mother wanted me to have the richness of experience that comes with public school, so every morning she'd beat me up and steal my lunch money.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : What do you think? Love-s10

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 7:34 pm

Rob wrote:
pamh36 wrote:

I was homeschooled, but my mother wanted me to have the richness of experience that comes with public school, so every morning she'd beat me up and steal my lunch money.

Rob!! :Hahaha:

Um, you're kidding...right? :unsure: grinsmiley

Jacob, what a big decision! I can only echo what Pam has said, and I agree with Kristina! Thumbsup

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 8:44 pm

Thanks Kristina and Amy

Rob your Mom must have a Big Heart lol

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62609
Mood : What do you think? Goodsi10

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 10:32 pm

Amy wrote:
Um, you're kidding...right? :unsure: grinsmiley

Yup, for once I'm just kidding. batEyes
Back to top Go down
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

Number of posts : 10766
Mood : What do you think? Happy010

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 5:17 pm

I think it could be a good experience for you, but kids in school can be less than nice. I don't know about in your area, but where I live there are gangs in schools. i would talk to someone at school before I made that decision. I hate to sound negative, but just want you to stay safe.

Good luck with your decision, Jacob.

Spring is finally here, the lovely pink blooms on the "spray" tree outside my window are gone leaving a beautiful willow.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : What do you think? Bokmal10

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 12:08 am

Gee, this is a big decision for you. I hated school from a social perspective. As Alice mentioned, kids aren't always nice. Hopefully it is a bit different where you are. As the others said, it could be a very positive experience; and if you try your best, even if it's harder, no one can ask any more of you.

I actually considered homeschooling my girls, but both were so excited to go that I didn't. It worked out well anyway because the oldest is very challenging when it comes to homework, so learning at home might have been a battle. Though there are certain things they learn in school I wish they wouldn't.

Good luck!

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
poo_cat
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 89
Mood : What do you think? Innoce10

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 8:07 pm

Rob wrote:
HAHAHAHA!!!!! ROTFL

JW, I say go for it.. the worst that can happen is you don't like it and you go back to home schooling.. in this case, saying "It was a mistake.." is better than saying "What if.."

If you had some bacon, you could have some bacon and eggs, if you had some eggs ~ Joe Walsh
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 12:13 pm

poo_cat wrote:
....in this case, saying "It was a mistake.." is better than saying "What if.."

Well said. Thumbsup

Hey Jacob, how big is the high school you'd be attending? Do you know the population? Whatever you decide, immerse yourself in something extracurricular, that will surround you with a 'smaller' group of the school. For example, my son went to a school of 1900, but joined the band, which was made up of 200 kids, and they became his immediate group of friends. Something like that will help immensely with your adjustment. And for the record, he came into his high school not knowing a single soul either....he had to really 'put himself out there', but the growth I saw was pretty amazing. I think he would have floundered had he not gravitated to something like band or sports though....it's the kids who have no 'outside' focus but academic that seem to struggle the most.

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112
Mood : What do you think? Happy010

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 7:57 pm

I think you would do OK, Jacob! I do think though, they might do some sort of 'placement tests' so they can make sure of what level you are at.

And, my nieces & nephews started out home schooled but then were put in public school & they did fine. In fact, my oldest nephew, Joshua, recently graduated...class of 2009.

What do you think? HummerWhat do you think? MistiKeeperWhat do you think? Bookclub5What do you think? Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 10:02 pm

Thanks for all the Advice no Amy i am not sure how big the high school is

Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 12:34 pm

My oldest daughter was homeschooled from 7th to 10th grade. She took two classes at our local high school in 9th grade and 4 classes in 10th. She is going to be a junior this year and is going to go full time a public high school. Unfortunately it is a different high school since we have moved. But she is in band so I know she will meet some people before school starts because of that. In fact, she was invited to a flute party tonight. So if you play an instrument, joining the band would be a good thing. Maybe you could check to see if your high school allows you to take some classes as a homeschooler. Then you could sort of try out the public school without being there all day. I think that was a good way to transition for my daughter.

What do you think? Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 2:06 pm

That really does sound like a nice transition for you daughter, Lori! And yes, there's nothing like band camp as an ice-breaker! My son started his freshman year not knowing a single soul, but it helped SO much that he was able to get to know kids just a couple weeks before school. In fact the same was true with college last year, he met some neat kids just from being in camp with them.

Hope you're enjoying Michigan so far Lori! Thumbsup

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

Number of posts : 875
Mood : What do you think? Innoce10

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 10:55 am

Rob wrote:
pamh36 wrote:

Best post of the thread.

"Willie, were you or were you not looking at the corsett ads in the catalogue?" - Nels

What do you think? Pbucket
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 12:11 pm

Amy wrote:
Hope you're enjoying Michigan so far Lori! Thumbsup

I was beginning to think that summer would never get here (the heat came on in the morning last week). Now it is here full force. It's supposed to get to 90 again today.

What do you think? Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you think?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Little House on the Prairie :: Walnut Grove Community :: Town Gossip-
Jump to: