Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Third Miracle

Go down 
+15
Rob
Old Dan Tucker
Shell
Davetucson
littlehouselover
Ruth
alexczarn
easyt72000
Honeybee
Vanesa
Davidccl
Krissy
Joe
jes9
Savannah
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 6:15 pm

Well, guess what guys? I got attacked by a swarm of yellow jackets this weekend while working out in the yard and had to go to the emergency room. Even now I'm still in pain, despite the prescription-strength pain-killer. I think doctor's are a little reluctant to prescribe powerful painkillers now, especially after what happened recently to someone very famous as a result of misuse of anesthetics.
Anyway I didn't find Laura & Albert's joke amusing to begin with, but now it just infuriates me. Did Nellie or Mrs. Oleson ever do anything as bad as that? The only things I can think of that came even close was when Nellie was cruel to Bunny and was gonna let them destroy the animal even though she knew the accident happened because she'd been teasing Bunny, and maybe the time Mrs. Oleson wanted to auction off the Ingall's land.
It always bothered me that Laura & Albert got away with this. Did it seem just a little out of character to you all?

Last edited by whitelighter491 on Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
The Third Miracle Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54425
Mood : The Third Miracle Happy010

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 10:06 pm

Oh my goodness! How awful for you!! I've always found that to be an out of character and cruel "joke". Two summers ago we had several people at the campground who were attacked by a swarm of hornets, and they were hospitalized because of it. Even before that I hadn't been able to find Laura and Albert's actions to be funny, but after I had seen the misery of those who had been attacked, it made Laura & Albert's behavior seem even more unkind.

I hope your pain subsides soon!
Back to top Go down
jes9
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
jes9

Number of posts : 1066

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 8:08 pm

Yeah, there were times I thought Laura and/or Albert got away with something. I'm pretty sure there were other things I was thinking of, but I can't recall them now.

The Third Miracle JohnKeeper
Back to top Go down
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

Number of posts : 875
Mood : The Third Miracle Innoce10

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 8:37 pm

"Adam wins a teaching award and must travel to Minneapolis to receive it. En route, Mary, Adam, and another woman and are involved in a serious stagecoach accident. Mary is the only one who is able to look for help. While she is climbing the hillside, her old glasses fall out of her pocket. The glasses inadvertently start a fire that acts as a signal for Charles, who's searching for her. Meanwhile, Laura and Albert get Mrs. Oleson and Nellie to pick up some honey from a honeycomb, not telling them they're actually getting a hornets' nest."

THEY DESERVED IT!! Harriet trying to take advantage of Laura and Albert, for shame!!
Laura and Albert giving up their hard 'honey money' was an example of true altruism and selfishness. Yes I said selfishness. That CAN be a virtue. The dictionary defines selfishness as looking primarily at ones own interests. It works both ways. A man who works to support his family is acting selfishly because it is in his best self interests to do so. In this case Laura decided that her best interest was supporting her sister, the family gained more by her selfish act than selflessly deciding to buy herself an entire outfit that would serve only 'her self'.
Mary mirrored selflessness when the stage overturned however. She put her life on the line attempting to save her husband and strangers. I think the difference lies there; acts of dire consequence versus temporary issues of minor importance.
Good episode.

"Willie, were you or were you not looking at the corsett ads in the catalogue?" - Nels

The Third Miracle Pbucket
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
The Third Miracle Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54425

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 12:57 pm

Joe wrote:

Laura and Albert giving up their hard 'honey money' was an example of true altruism and selfishness. Yes I said selfishness. That CAN be a virtue. The dictionary defines selfishness as looking primarily at ones own interests. It works both ways. A man who works to support his family is acting selfishly because it is in his best self interests to do so. In this case Laura decided that her best interest was supporting her sister, the family gained more by her selfish act than selflessly deciding to buy herself an entire outfit that would serve only 'her self'.
Mary mirrored selflessness when the stage overturned however. She put her life on the line attempting to save her husband and strangers. I think the difference lies there; acts of dire consequence versus temporary issues of minor importance.
Good episode.

I do understand what you're saying, but I don't agree with the application of the definition.

Webster's Dictionary wrote:
concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others

Selfish desires include only self. Nobody else enters the equation. Laura's best interest really would have been to spend her money all on herself, and fulfill her own desires. There's nothing selfless about buying an entire outfit just for herself - as you said, it would only have served her. It would have been a self-centered, selfish choice. But
she looked beyond herself and chose to care enough about the needs of someone else to put her own desires aside and help them - that's selfless.

As I said, I understand what you're saying, I just don't agree. But that's part of what makes these episode discussions interesting: Finding out just how differently two or more people can see the same episode.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : The Third Miracle Headac10

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 2:30 pm

The trick Laura & Albert played on the olsens wasn't very nice..Was kind of mean.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Davidccl
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Davidccl

Number of posts : 120
Mood : The Third Miracle Indiff10

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 12:16 pm

sweetkrissy2011 wrote:
The trick Laura & Albert played on the olsens wasn't very nice..Was kind of mean.

Well I kina thought it was funny. Especially because Mrs. Olsen was trying to rip them off.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitch.tv/dcat682
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : The Third Miracle Bokmal10

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 11:50 pm

I share David opinion. Mrs. Oleson was being mean to the children. Children playing tricks to grown ups are not the kind of children I like, but grown ups ripping children off are much worse. They are supposed to have more sense! No

Vanesa.

The Third Miracle Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Davidccl
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Davidccl

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptyMon May 02, 2011 6:36 pm

I liked this show and I understand 2 of the miracles but idk what the third one us. Can somebody tell me what it is?

Ying and Yang, Good and Evil, Light and Dark..  All are 2 sides to their own coin.  Niether can live with each other, but none can also live without the other.
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 9:49 pm

Davidccl wrote:
I liked this show and I understand 2 of the miracles but idk what the third one us. Can somebody tell me what it is?

I think, the third miracle is the glasses. The sun brighten the glasses to make the fire. So, Charles & Jonathan can see the smoke.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
easyt72000
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
easyt72000

Number of posts : 126
Mood : The Third Miracle Party010

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 2:37 pm

What are the other two miracles?
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 5:27 pm

Joe wrote:
"Adam wins a teaching award and must travel to Minneapolis to receive it. En route, Mary, Adam, and another woman and are involved in a serious stagecoach accident. Mary is the only one who is able to look for help. While she is climbing the hillside, her old glasses fall out of her pocket. The glasses inadvertently start a fire that acts as a signal for Charles, who's searching for her. Meanwhile, Laura and Albert get Mrs. Oleson and Nellie to pick up some honey from a honeycomb, not telling them they're actually getting a hornets' nest."

THEY DESERVED IT!! Harriet trying to take advantage of Laura and Albert, for shame!!
Good episode.

It's actually the whole beehive, not a hornet's nest.

easyt72000 wrote:
What are the other two miracles?

Marge's baby being safe and Adam not seriously injured. (I think.)

The Third Miracle Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Ruth
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ruth

Number of posts : 2916
Mood : The Third Miracle Pbucket

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 8:56 pm

That would be about right.... Smile

I love this episode

Leaves The Third Miracle RuthKeeper Leaves
Back to top Go down
Davidccl
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Davidccl

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 10:29 pm

I forgot the first one and the 2nd was the donation to the blind school.

Ying and Yang, Good and Evil, Light and Dark..  All are 2 sides to their own coin.  Niether can live with each other, but none can also live without the other.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : The Third Miracle Headac10

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 9:58 pm

yes, seeing it again.I agree. mrs olsen was mean to the kids.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 6:30 pm

I'm watching this now...seems like the miracles were Adam's legs being saved, the baby being okay and the fire...no one knew what started it, but we did.
I liked seeing Michael Landon's daughter with her first part and it gave them all more dramatic roles. Mary gave a good performance and after she went blind, I feel her acting on the show got much better.

One thing that I thought was odd was when they decided to go tell Mary and Adam about the money...Ma said, "we will all go" but I didn't see Carrie or Grace. They are a bit small to be left alone...not a big deal, just odd to see the 4 of them at the school without them (the mom in me is protective of TV children too) : )
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Leslie Landon   The Third Miracle EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 7:03 pm

littlehouselover wrote:
I'm watching this now...seems like the miracles were Adam's legs being saved, the baby being okay and the fire...no one knew what started it, but we did.
I liked seeing Michael Landon's daughter with her first part and it gave them all more dramatic roles. Mary gave a good performance and after she went blind, I feel her acting on the show got much better.

One thing that I thought was odd was when they decided to go tell Mary and Adam about the money...Ma said, "we will all go" but I didn't see Carrie or Grace. They are a bit small to be left alone...not a big deal, just odd to see the 4 of them at the school without them (the mom in me is protective of TV children too) : )

Technically, Leslie's first part was in "The Plaque" 1975.

Michael got so emotional in the scene, because it was his real daughter, that they had to re shoot it.......
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 7:39 pm

Awww, that I can see.
Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353
Mood : The Third Miracle Purple2

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 10:29 pm

Even though Laura and Albert don't like Nellie and Mrs.Oleson, they shouldn't have gave them the log with all those bees still hovering around. That was mean. Nllie and Mrs.Oleson may have said and done some bad things, but they didn't deserve to have bees swarming at them.
Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353
Mood : The Third Miracle Purple2

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 10:31 pm

littlehouselover wrote:

I agree. Carrie and Grace shouldn't have been left behind. Carrie was too young to be left watching Grace.
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Leslie's Little House Filmography   The Third Miracle EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 12:16 am

Leslie's Appearances on Little House

1.Plague (29 January 1975) - Leslie
2.The Election (21 March 1977) - Kate
3.The Third Miracle (8 October 1979) - Marge
4.A Wiser Heart (2 November 1981) - Pam
5.Times Are Changing: Part 1 (27 September 1982) - Etta Plum
6.Times Are Changing: Part 2 (4 October 1982) - Etta Plum
7.Welcome to Olesonville (11 October 1982) - Etta Plum
8.Rage (18 October 1982) - Etta Plum
9.Little Lou (25 October 1982) - Etta Plum
10.The Wild Boy: Part 1 (1 November 1982) - Etta Plum
11.The Return of Nellie (15 November 1982) - Etta Plum
12.Love (29 November 1982) - Etta Plum
13.Marvin's Garden (3 January 1983) - Etta Plum
14.Once Upon a Time (24 January 1983) - Etta Plum
15.Home Again: Part 1 (7 February 1983) - Etta Plum
16.Home Again: Part 2 (7 February 1983) - Etta Plum
17.A Child with No Name (14 February 1983) - Etta Plum
18.For the Love of Blanche (7 March 1983) - Etta Plum
19.May I Have This Dance (14 March 1983) - Etta Plum
Back to top Go down
Old Dan Tucker
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Old Dan Tucker

Number of posts : 20

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 9:59 pm

I'm not a big fan of an actor making an appearance as one character then coming back later as another regular character. In case this Leslie Landon, but I always hated that M*A*S*H used Harry Morgan as General Steele in one episode then he became a regular as Colonel Potter later. Can anybody think of other examples?

I also agree with others here... Laura and Albert's prank with the bees was way over the top and uncalled for.

Old Daniel Tucker wuz a mighty man,
He washed his face in a fryin' pan;
Combed his head wid a wagon wheel
And he died wid de toofache in his heel.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62609
Mood : The Third Miracle Goodsi10

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 10:05 pm

Well, one obvious one is Matthew Laborteaux playing the young Charles Ingalls, then reincarnating as Albert.
Back to top Go down
Old Dan Tucker
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Old Dan Tucker

Number of posts : 20

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 10:11 pm

Rob wrote:
Well, one obvious one is Matthew Laborteaux playing the young Charles Ingalls, then reincarnating as Albert.

LOL... of course!!! I just watched those epis!! Good one.

Old Daniel Tucker wuz a mighty man,
He washed his face in a fryin' pan;
Combed his head wid a wagon wheel
And he died wid de toofache in his heel.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62609
Mood : The Third Miracle Goodsi10

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Wink  Then there was Katy Kurtzmann playing the young Caroline, as well as Anna, the girl with the stutter. Though she wasn't a regular character. It's odd that the Ingalls girls didn't have ongoing friendships on the show; just kids who appeared when the writers needed conflict.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Third Miracle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Third Miracle   The Third Miracle Empty

Back to top Go down

The Third Miracle
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next