Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Before and After

Go down 
+9
Lily
bethandmanly
JW
pamh36
Rob
Rhonda
Savannah
Carol
Amy
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Before and After Love-s10

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Before and After   Before and After EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 7:38 pm

After 11 years of living in our 1979 Colonial, I could look at the wall of chocolate brown brick of our fireplace no longer. It was literally sucking all the life out of my family room! After much research, I decided to attempt painting it. I still wanted it to look like brick though...I didn't want it to just be solid paint over brick. So I decided to 'faux' it. I am pleased with the results, and we officially have a 'new' room!

This is the Before...talk about DARK!

Before and After 00312

It took an entire weekend, but I feel like the labor was worth it in the long run!

Before and After 02010

Before and After 01311

There are a few bricks that I'm not thrilled with that I need to lighten, but overall it's done! I'd love to put a new wood burning stove insert in there...ours is ugly (hence the fireplace screen) and the new ones are made so much better too. But we just had to buy a furnace, so I suppose that'll have to wait!

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Before and After Happy010

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 7:41 pm

Wow! What a difference that made!

It looks great Amy! Before and After Congratulationss

Before and After Horses10
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Before and After Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54426

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 7:42 pm

Wow! That looks fabulous, Amy! You did a great job!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 7:50 pm

Thanks Carol and Savannah! I'm pretty happy with it....sure was cheaper than refacing it with stone!

LOL, I just noticed that from a distance the 'path' in my picture looks kind of like a ghost or something! grinsmiley

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : Before and After Purple2

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 8:14 pm

You did a wonderful job Amy.....it will truly make you want to be in that room more now that it is brighter........ Applause

Before and After Rhonda10Before and After Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62616
Mood : Before and After Goodsi10

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 8:19 pm

Great job, Amy! It looks so much warmer now. Applause
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 8:19 pm

Thanks Rhonda---definitely!! That room has a sliding glass door, so it gets enough sunlight, but that dumb dark brick was soaking it all up! Bill is going to build me some bookcases on either side of the fireplace too....when it will happen, I don't know, but I'm putting the pressure on! Wink

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 8:31 pm

Rob wrote:
Great job, Amy! It looks so much warmer now. Applause

Thank you Rob! I almost can't wait until winter to have a fire in the fireplace and snuggle up! Almost. Wink

Hopefully the paint doesn't peel off, from the heat. I've read some people who've said theirs has. But most of the DIY-ers say that if you use a very diluted paint (stain consitency), it should be fine. Hopefully! The first faux technique, BTW, is paint, and when that was done I decided it was too bright, so I added a stain and wiped it off. It's the stain that is giving the 'warm' appearance. Here is a pic of the process....you can see the left is lighter, which IMO looked more fake as well.

Before and After 00110

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 9:30 pm

I love it, Amy!! It looks very natural. You did an amazing job! Thumbsup

Before and After PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Before and After Happy011

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 10:32 pm

WOW it looks Wonderful Are you sure you did it? Laughing

Before and After Jacobk10Before and After Jacob210
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Before and After Bokmal10

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 11:56 pm

Awesome job, Amy! It looks wonderful and the lighter color certainly makes a huge difference.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Before and After LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Before and After Vianne10

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 8:53 am

Wow Amy! You did a great job. Two thumbs up!! Thumbsup Thumbsup I love the new look...much brighter but still has that warm feeling to it. I could get really cozy in front of it. Wink I also love that painting on the mantle. I love a painting with some kind of a river stream, a path or a road going across...makes my mind wonder where the "path" would take me...know what I mean? I think the bookcases on both sides would look perfect...makes the fireplace look embraced in...I love that!!

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Number of posts : 5286

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 9:19 am

It looks beautiful, Amy!! You did a great job!

Before and After TeresaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 10:10 am

Thank you so much everyone! ☮

JW wrote:
WOW it looks Wonderful Are you sure you did it? Laughing

Hard to believe, huh?! Laughing

Lily wrote:
Wow Amy! You did a great job. Two thumbs up!! Thumbsup Thumbsup I love the new look...much brighter but still has that warm feeling to it. I could get really cozy in front of it. Wink I also love that painting on the mantle. I love a painting with some kind of a river stream, a path or a road going across...makes my mind wonder where the "path" would take me...know what I mean? I think the bookcases on both sides would look perfect...makes the fireplace look embraced in...I love that!!

>>Thanks Lily! And yeah, I love a painting with a path too. My grandparents had a large oil painting above their couch when I was a little girl that I loved, of a path in the woods. I am still looking for that perfect painting for above the fireplace that is like that. In the meantime, this print is a nice 'homage' to them. Wink
Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
carolineingalls

Number of posts : 1209
Mood : Before and After Pbucket

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 3:39 am

Great job, Amy and what a difference!

Before and After MaureenKeeper

"To change your life takes a lot of courage and energy. It's not for wimps." Karen Grassle. April 2006
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 7:27 am

Thank you Maureen!

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 1:51 pm

It's amazing how it can totally change the look and feel of the room, especially since the fireplace is most likely the focal point of the room.

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 3:37 pm

Yep, it is the focal point...you come in off the kitchen, and you go down a step into a sunken family room, and it's not that big either...I would love to knock out a wall! I still can't get used to the new look---the room looks so much bigger!

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 5:02 pm

And brighter too!!

What do Bill and the boys think of it?

Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 9:54 am

That looks awesome, Amy! It really makes a difference.

Before and After Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 2:03 pm

Thanks Lori! Teresa, they LOVE it. Funny story though, Bill came in at the end of a long day (like 10pm) from work, and I was still working on it, and he didn't really seem to notice it. :unsure: I got really hurt feelings, LOL (I mean, how could you NOT notice your fireplace was no longer almost BLACK?!), and then he was like "OH!! The fireplace is painted!" Then he just said, "Looks good hon". Ahem, not the reaction I was really going for! It took him another day; he truly needed to get used to the change before he could 'embrace' it. Bill LOVES dark colors (the man could live in a dungeon), so he never really minded the dark brick! But he absolutely loves it now! And Nick hasn't seen it yet...he's at band camp and gets home tomorrow. He's my right hand man when it comes to decorating (good eye!) and he's excited to see it. Bren could care less, LOL, and was the one who thought I was totally going to ruin our fireplace. He should know I've watched enough HGTV by now! grinsmiley Anywho, he has since eaten his words and is pleasantly surprised. Wink

LOL, sorry that response got a little long! :unsure:

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 5:34 pm

Bravo! Come do mine now. I'm not liking mine now. It needs something else. Also I have a brass insert in my fireplace and I really want it to look like wrought iron.
Guess I will tackle that this fall....hopefully before Santa comes! :xmastree:

Before and After Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 4:43 pm

Thanks Gin! LOL, you know I would if I could!! Seriously, this is not as complicated as it looks, just VERY time consuming, so if you have the patience, you can do this! I am going to do my mom's probably next weekend (thank goodness she has a smaller brick section!), and she has a brass insert too. We are going to take that out and spray it with a heat resistant spray paint in a bronzey color. Not sure if the black 'textured' spray paint I've seen comes in 'heat resistant', but if so, that could give you a look very similar to wrought iron!

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Empty

Back to top Go down

Before and After
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Little House on the Prairie :: Walnut Grove Community :: Town Gossip-
Jump to: