Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another weekend, another picnic?

Go down 
+3
Rob
pamh36
Savannah
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Another weekend, another picnic? Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54425
Mood : Another weekend, another picnic? Happy010

Another weekend, another picnic? Empty
PostSubject: Another weekend, another picnic?   Another weekend, another picnic? EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 12:09 am

Not too far from here are a couple of beautiful old covered bridges. I've always loved them! Want to come along for a little tour? (It won't be a three-hour-tour. batEyes )

The first one here has been a favorite of mine since I was a little girl....but look at how close that picnic table is to the river! Another weekend, another picnic? 868708 I do believe I'd either sit on the other side of the table, or just plain move it a little. Another weekend, another picnic? 120962

Another weekend, another picnic? Fallas13

Another view:

Another weekend, another picnic? Fallas15

Here's a picture of the front of the bridge:

Another weekend, another picnic? Fallas14

In case you can't see what the sign above the bridge says, it reads "$5 FINE For Riding Or Driving On This Bridge Faster Than A Walk." Another weekend, another picnic? 687159 (And yes, the police do take that quite seriously.) We'll go inside...but you have to pay the fine yourself if you get a ticket for speeding. Another weekend, another picnic? 896962

Another weekend, another picnic? Inside10

Another weekend, another picnic? Inside11

This next picture is the lower part of the park. The little creek under the small bridge to the left is a favorite spot for kids to catch crayfish and minnows. And in the background, you can see the double bridge. The top one is for vehicles, and the lower bridge is a walking bridge.

Another weekend, another picnic? Lower_10

Okay....Now we're heading over to the second covered bridge. It doesn't have the large, beautiful park with it, but it has such a rustic charm!

Another weekend, another picnic? Whites10

And, the last shot is a side view of Whites Bridge.....

Another weekend, another picnic? Whites11

I read that originally, open wooden bridges were built, and would last about 9-10 years and have to be replaced. But by covering the bridges and protecting them from the elements, the life of the bridges could be multiplied significantly. The first bridge I showed you was built in 1871, and has been in use ever since. Of course, it has had maintenance - but still....138 years and counting is pretty good, I'd say. Another weekend, another picnic? 674576

That's the end of the tour. But you can stick around for the mini-picnic if you like. Another weekend, another picnic? 713955 (Robbie, just for you, I didn't make coleslaw. Another weekend, another picnic? 674576 )
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: Another weekend, another picnic?   Another weekend, another picnic? EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 8:31 am

Those are beautiful pictures, Savannah. I love covered bridges.

I agree, the picnic table in the first picture is a bit close to the water. I can see sitting at the table for a meal and some chit-chat, getting up to stretch your legs, and ending up in the water. Laughing

Thanks for the tour!

Another weekend, another picnic? PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62609
Mood : Another weekend, another picnic? Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Another weekend, another picnic?   Another weekend, another picnic? EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 8:42 am

Wow, these are beautiful!

Savannah wrote:
But by covering the bridges and protecting them from the elements, the life
of the bridges could be multiplied significantly.

As I was looking at these, I was wondering why they built covered bridges in the first place - whether it was for safety reasons, or just because they looked so good. This explanation makes sense.

Thanks for not making coleslaw the pictures! Another weekend, another picnic? 674576
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Another weekend, another picnic? Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Another weekend, another picnic?   Another weekend, another picnic? EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 10:30 am

Those are all great Savannah, but I agree, that first one is just----special. It reminds me so much of the one in Little House! I love it too, and wow, 138 years old!! Amazing.

Thanks for sharing! Thumbsup

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Another weekend, another picnic? Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54425
Mood : Another weekend, another picnic? Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Another weekend, another picnic?   Another weekend, another picnic? EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 11:44 am

pamh36 wrote:
I agree, the picnic table in the first picture is a bit close to the water. I can see sitting at the table for a meal and some chit-chat, getting up to stretch your legs, and ending up in the water. Another weekend, another picnic? 687159

Another weekend, another picnic? 687159 That's why I'm not sitting on the river side of the picnic table. I can't swim!

Rob wrote:
Thanks for not making coleslaw the pictures! Another weekend, another picnic? 674576

Another weekend, another picnic? Fryingpa There are times when you leave me speechless, Robbie. But sometimes words aren't really necessary. Another weekend, another picnic? 674576

Amy wrote:
Those are all great Savannah, but I agree, that first one is just----special. It reminds me so much of the one in Little House! I love it too, and wow, 138 years old!! Amazing.

It reminds me of the one in Little House, too. I think that's why I've always liked it so much. It's interesting to see what was going on in 1871 when it was being built. Laura was four years old, Orville Wright was born, the first cable car was patented, the National Association of Professional Baseball Players was established, Jesse James was busy robbing banks and trains....and of course, on Oct.8, 1871, the Great Chicago Fire raged - but on the very same night, massive fires also destroyed the cities of Holland, Port Huron, and Manistee in Michigan, along with Peshtigo in Wisconsin. Grant was our President, Susan B. Anthony was arrested for trying to vote, and Stanley met Dr. Livingston who was working as a missionary in Africa. "Dr. Livingston, I presume?" Another weekend, another picnic? 713955

Sorry.....I'll stop now. I just love history. Back to the picnic!
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21159
Mood : Another weekend, another picnic? Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Another weekend, another picnic?   Another weekend, another picnic? EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 12:58 pm

Those bridges are really neat.....makes me want to jump in the wagon and have the horses take me through, no speeding, of course, just walking through........... Another weekend, another picnic? 713955

Another weekend, another picnic? Rhonda10Another weekend, another picnic? Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7855
Mood : Another weekend, another picnic? Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Another weekend, another picnic?   Another weekend, another picnic? EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 5:05 pm

awesome pictures Savannah! I agree with you, the picnic table in that first picture is a little close to the water, but the rather funny sign above the bridge makes up for it. Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: Another weekend, another picnic?   Another weekend, another picnic? EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 9:29 am

Cool pictures. I like covered bridges, too.

Another weekend, another picnic? Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another weekend, another picnic?   Another weekend, another picnic? Empty

Back to top Go down

Another weekend, another picnic?
Page 1 of 1