Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Flooded basement

Go down 
+2
Rob
Alice
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

Number of posts : 10766
Mood : Flooded basement Happy010

Flooded basement Empty
PostSubject: Flooded basement   Flooded basement EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 2:51 am

Has anyone else had a flooded basement with lots of rain on top of snow? I decided to go down to the basement before I went to bed, a little before midnight to check if we had water coming in. It's a good thing I did, and thank goodness Melissa's boyfriend was still here. He is wonderful and I think the world of him. He helped with our shop vac while Melissa bailed the water out of the basement stairwell. Cody, Mel's boyfriend's dad is coming tomorrow morning to snake the drain for us. I'm almost afraid to go to sleep tonight and we are to go to PA tomorrow for Christmas. What a mess Flooded basement Kopfschuettel

Spring is finally here, the lovely pink blooms on the "spray" tree outside my window are gone leaving a beautiful willow.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62618
Mood : Flooded basement Goodsi10

Flooded basement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flooded basement   Flooded basement EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 10:04 am

Yikes! Sorry to hear about this, Alice. How is the situation this morning? Is the PA trip still on?
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Flooded basement Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

Flooded basement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flooded basement   Flooded basement EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 10:32 am

Oh, Alice! I'm so sorry to hear about that! I hope the flooding wasn't too bad.
Back to top Go down
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

Flooded basement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flooded basement   Flooded basement EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 11:39 am

Rob wrote:
Yikes! Sorry to hear about this, Alice. How is the situation this morning? Is the PA trip still on?

Cody got the water to drain by dumping Drain-O into the drain. So the water stopped coming in last night, thankfully. His dad is supposed to come by today to snake it out. I had a big fan running all night, or what was left of it, to dry out the little bit of indoor outdoor carpeting that is down there.

The PA trip took an interesting turn, PM to come.

Spring is finally here, the lovely pink blooms on the "spray" tree outside my window are gone leaving a beautiful willow.
Back to top Go down
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

Flooded basement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flooded basement   Flooded basement EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 11:41 am

Savannah wrote:
Oh, Alice! I'm so sorry to hear about that! I hope the flooding wasn't too bad.

It could have been worse. I'm just so glad that I decided to check the basement before I went to bed.

I'm sending you a PM also.

Back to top Go down
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

Flooded basement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flooded basement   Flooded basement EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 2:23 pm

Hooray! Cody's dad who's a plumber just left. He snaked out the drain and flushed it and this one was a freebie! Got to remember to keep the stairwell cleaned out. Didn't get a chance to do it before the snow. Lesson well learned!

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Flooded basement Love-s10

Flooded basement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flooded basement   Flooded basement EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 2:36 pm

Oh, flooded basements are SO not fun, especially on CHRISTMAS!! I am so sorry that happened to you Alice! Blue Glad it's all taken care of now.

We used to have carpet in our basement, but when the sump pump went out the last time, we decided not to replace with carpet and put down vinyl flooring that looks like hardwood. I'm happy that at least if we have another flood, we won't have to worry about replacing a floor.

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

Flooded basement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flooded basement   Flooded basement EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 2:50 pm

Oh, I don't blame you there, Amy. I'm glad you don't have to worry about your floor anymore, and hopefully you won't have another flood.

Our whole basement floor is concrete and there is only about 1/4 of it that has carpeting on it.

I was sure wishing we had a sump pump last night. Thank goodness we at least had a wet/dry shop vac, better than nothing Flooded basement 135245 . But it's all good now.

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Flooded basement Bokmal10

Flooded basement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flooded basement   Flooded basement EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 10:00 pm

Sorry to hear about this, Alice. Our basement flooded once and it was a holy mess. Soon afterwards we had the sump pump installed and haven't had a problem. Same type of situation with rain and snow and clean up, and all sorts of dumping of old stuff.

I'm glad you didn't have to pay to have the drain taken care of. I hope that your PA trip wasn't too strange.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

Flooded basement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flooded basement   Flooded basement EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 1:36 am

I'm so sorry to hear about your flooded basement, Alice. I'm glad to hear you were able to get all the water out and the drain snaked out. What an ordeal!!

Flooded basement PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

Flooded basement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flooded basement   Flooded basement EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Thanks, Cheryl and Pam.

I'm so thankful I didn't panic and call a plumber on Christmas night. It probably would have cost hundreds of dollars.

I don't know what is involved in installing a sump pump, but I may look into it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Flooded basement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flooded basement   Flooded basement Empty

Back to top Go down

Flooded basement
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Little House on the Prairie :: Walnut Grove Community :: Town Gossip-
Jump to: