HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log in  

Share | 

Los Angeles Traffic

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker

Number of posts : 8657
Mood :

PostSubject: Los Angeles Traffic   Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:01 pm

... is the most horrible thing that exists.... lol

When we checked in at our Hotel Wednesday it was already dark, and we still had to drive another 20 minutes on the freeway to get to Forest Lawn... so it looked like this:

I had my directions but at the same time I was trying to follow my cousin. Bad idea... it is IMPOSSIBLE to try and follow someone in rush hour traffic in LA! rollinpin LOL I made a wrong turn on the exit and ended up in Hollywood Blvd! Laughing Thank goodness it wasn't that far off from the cemetery since I just had to turn around and drive back up.

Yes... LA traffic is horrible... lol

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myworldthroughthelens.smugmug.com/
Savannah
"Psalm 34"

Number of posts : 53817
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:20 pm

Carol, I don't know how you do it. You know, when my Dad had to have surgery, and I had to drive to the city so much, I told Rob that at first I thought that the traffic was really bad. . . . then I thought to myself, "Yeah, Carol would probably think this was Mayberry traffic compared to what she sees!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!

Number of posts : 52514
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:31 pm

That's amazing, Carol!

But small towns have their traffic, too. If you could keep your head during a mash-up like this, you're a better man than I am.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor

Number of posts : 19960
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Awww....the days of California living......

CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2016-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carol
Adventure Seeker

Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:17 pm

Savannah wrote:
Carol, I don't know how you do it. You know, when my Dad had to have surgery, and I had to drive to the city so much, I told Rob that at first I thought that the traffic was really bad. . . . then I thought to myself, "Yeah, Carol would probably think this was Mayberry traffic compared to what she sees!"

Well I don't live in Los Angeles so I don't deal with that traffic thank goodness! To get to that point I'd have to drive for about 2 hours, pass the mountains, etc. That is why I don't travel south too often...

I live in a small town too Rob so what you posted is what pretty much how it looks like here lol. My aunt calls it "The Bicycle Town" Laughing Well, I told her... I much prefer 'The Bicycle Town' than to deal w/ the LA traffic!

This is what the roads look like where I live to get to other little towns:

This is the highway...

It is nowhere NEAR what's in LA thud

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time

Number of posts : 13379
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:33 pm

Yeah, your area looks totally doable Carol....I honestly don't know WHO would want to live in L.A.?!?! I don't think you could PAY me to live there! Yikes

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 6799
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:54 pm

oh dear, that traffic is horrible! mad I've been stuck in bad traffic a few times, but thankfully one of my good friends was in the car the most recent time so I had someone to talk to Laughing Carol, the town roads and highways where I live look a lot like those roads in the second set of pictures you posted, and I'm sure glad of it! Thumbsup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird

Number of posts : 4117
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:14 am

Rob wrote:
That's amazing, Carol!

But small towns have their traffic, too. If you could keep your head during a mash-up like this, you're a better man than I am.

Gasp!!! thud That is HORRIBLE Rob! Please enlighten us on how you manage to get around town? Do you leave extra early? ROTFL Actually, your traffic looks like our traffic in our town!

"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:28 am

That looks similar to our rush hour around here. It always takes you forever to get anywhere during rush hour. Once it took me 2 hours to drive 13 miles away. Very frustrating! Thankfully, during regular times of the day traffic isn't too bad. If you can plan around rush hour, you're usually okay.

Rob, I don't know how you put up with the traffic around where you live. Noo Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carol
Adventure Seeker

Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Sun May 23, 2010 4:17 pm

My cousin who lives in L.A. was griping about traffic and to make him 'feel better' I sent him a video of what traffic looked like for me going home from work. Laughing
So while he dealt with that, I dealt with this :) This is a 30 second video I took of me driving home greenS

Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner

Number of posts : 1209
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Mon May 24, 2010 4:13 am

You've just put the frighteners on me Carol! affraid

We're heading to LA in August and hiring a car to drive down from San Francisco! Thankfully I won't be driving but maybe I'd be better NOT showing hubby Phil those pictures!!!!

You know what they say..................Ignorance is bliss! Huh?

"To change your life takes a lot of courage and energy. It's not for wimps." Karen Grassle. April 2006
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carol
Adventure Seeker

Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Mon May 24, 2010 12:29 pm

carolineingalls wrote:
You've just put the frighteners on me Carol! affraid

We're heading to LA in August and hiring a car to drive down from San Francisco! Thankfully I won't be driving but maybe I'd be better NOT showing hubby Phil those pictures!!!!

You know what they say..................Ignorance is bliss! Huh?

Oh no Maureen! greenS
Well, at least one of you will know what to expect hehee. I'm right between San Francisco and L.A., so you will be passing by my area (it will be the hottest part on your trip), know that you'll be in the car for about 6 1/2 hours, or about 8 hrs if traffic is heavy) depending where you will be going exactly so take a lot of reading material, music, etc... lol

Oh! and chewing gum for when you pass by the grapevine (the mountains), you gotta keep chewing or you'll feel it in your ears (highest point at 4,160 feet). So, when getting to the mountain, pop in a chewing gum and you're good to go Thumbsup

Here is a video:

Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner

Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Mon May 24, 2010 2:40 pm

We're gonna make the trip down over a few days and stop off along the way so if you're looking any visitors let me know!!!!!!

I hate driving at the best of times! The other side of the road AND all that traffic? I'd rather have my teeth pulled! banghead

Thanks for the advice and the video. Was dizzy just watching it!

Can't wait!

"To change your life takes a lot of courage and energy. It's not for wimps." Karen Grassle. April 2006
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow

Number of posts : 2649
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Tue May 25, 2010 7:08 am

I've climbed the 'Vine in a rig. Trust me, those sandtraps on the side of the road are there for a reason. Ain't a long haul trucker on earth that doesn't know about the Grapevine. They have a stop on top so rigs can check everything out and make sure they can make the downhill haul, especially headed south. I've seen rigs whose brakes got so hot they turned red and blew tires.

I once was heading on the south side of the 'Vine, and another rig had brakes heated up and were sliding the rim. I was running empty headed to LA for a pickup, so my brakes were fine. He was in the hammer lane (left lane), and traffic was heavy that day, so he come over the radio for a hand, and I was in front of him. He still had a little speed control, so I told him to ease up onto the back of my trailer, and we'd both go down. He did. It heated the crap outta my brakes, but he made it.

He bought me and the wife a nice supper for the help, so it was worth it. Besides, what are we here for if we don't help somebody in need?

As for LA, next time I drive there, it'll be in a tank. grinsmiley
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Tue May 25, 2010 9:10 am

oh wow1 lol

it's very busy on my street during school hours lol
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker

Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Tue May 25, 2010 11:41 am

flatbroke wrote:
They have a stop on top so rigs can check everything out and make sure they can make the downhill haul, especially headed south. I've seen rigs whose brakes got so hot they turned red and blew tires.

I once was heading on the south side of the 'Vine, and another rig had brakes heated up and were sliding the rim. I was running empty headed to LA for a pickup, so my brakes were fine. He was in the hammer lane (left lane), and traffic was heavy that day, so he come over the radio for a hand, and I was in front of him. He still had a little speed control, so I told him to ease up onto the back of my trailer, and we'd both go down. He did. It heated the crap outta my brakes, but he made it.

Yes! I just think of the brakes of the car when I reach the top and start going down... lol I am not even pressing the gas pedal at all and feels like I'm flying but I just hit the brakes when I need to. Man... I can imagine the big rigs...

That's a cool thing you did Larry! Awesome work!! Thumbsup Thumbsup

That's why I don't head down south so much. I can still go to the beach at the central coast to Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Simeon, etc and not deal with the mountain pass... just smooth sailing and great flat traffic lol

Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner

Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Tue May 25, 2010 3:25 pm

I'm DEFINITELY NOT passing this info on to Phil!!!!

Thank goodness we won't be in a truck.

Maybe it'd be easier to fly from San Francisco. Might be a bit sore on the arms though! ROTFL

Back to top Go down
View user profile
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow

Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Tue May 25, 2010 5:01 pm

^^^lol

It's not that bad. Trucks are supposed to stay in a special right-hand lane (If it hasn't been redesigned since the last time I was there), but some of us cheated when we could. Just like anything else, some cheaters win, some lose. The other guy lost.

In fact, you'll enjoy the view from the top and going down. It's a beautiful sight. Northern California is wine country, and has beautiful scenery to take in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow

Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Tue May 25, 2010 5:08 pm

As for where I live, a traffic jam is 3 cars behind a tractor. Image hosted by servimg.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carol
Adventure Seeker

Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Tue May 25, 2010 5:14 pm

flatbroke wrote:
As for where I live, a traffic jam is 3 cars behind a tractor. Image hosted by servimg.com

We also got those kind of traffic jams on some of our roads as well. Take a look at this drive-lapse video of a guy going to the mountain through some roads because the Hwy was shut down. It's a lot of stress when he has to stop for police as I'm sure maybe a chicken fight broke out... and then later he has to give a right of way to a pig crossing the road.. I'm not lying... laugh3

Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow

Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Tue May 25, 2010 5:31 pm

lol Carol, the pig part was funny to me, cuz my Pop deer hunts (everyone around here does), but he says "My wife's got more deer than any of y'all."

They naturally ask, "Yeah? What'd she bag 'em with?"

Pop says "Two with a Ford, one with a Dodge, and two more with a Pontiac" laugh3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Los Angeles Traffic   Today at 2:59 am

Back to top Go down

Los Angeles Traffic
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1