Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1940's Big Band

Go down 
+4
Savannah
Rob
Carol
Julia
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Julia
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Julia

Number of posts : 1871
Mood : 1940's Big Band Cloud910

1940's Big Band Empty
PostSubject: 1940's Big Band   1940's Big Band EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 10:08 pm

How many people here like the 40's big band music?
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : 1940's Big Band Happy010

1940's Big Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1940's Big Band   1940's Big Band EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 10:55 pm

I like it Thumbsup

One of my favorite songs is "Out of Nowhere" performed by Johnny Green. I first heard this tune in "A Place in the Sun" starring Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift.

I can't find the original version but here is a video of someone playing it. 1940's Big Band Jazzysax

Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : 1940's Big Band Indiff10

1940's Big Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1940's Big Band   1940's Big Band EmptyThu May 20, 2010 7:49 pm

LOVE BIG BAND!!! LOVE SWING!!! Nobody compares to Benny Goodman for me. And his "Sing, Sing, Sing" is the perfect example of that genre and mood during the height of this music. It is my favorite out of all music in that era.

Another one of my top ones is "Swingtime in the Rockies".

Of course, thinking of big band/swing, I think of Tommy Dorsey, which makes me think of Frank Sinatra.

I am mad about all of the Big Band singers and "crooners". Does anyone else really like singers of this type? My top favorites are:
Vic Damone
Frank Sinatra
Dean Martin
Nat 'King' Cole
Dick Haymes
Sammy Davis Jr

I just really love a nice smooth voice. One that can not only seduce you with each note that is sung, but is also capable of making you want to get up and dance. And those singers were all that way. I just love them. greenS

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62606
Mood : 1940's Big Band Goodsi10

1940's Big Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1940's Big Band   1940's Big Band EmptyThu May 20, 2010 9:11 pm

Good stuff, MissOleson! I love Sinatra and Nat King Cole. Mel Torme is also a favorite. Another great "pure" singer is Linda Eder. She's not an oldie like the others, but I think she has a beautiful voice.

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : 1940's Big Band Love-s10

1940's Big Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1940's Big Band   1940's Big Band EmptyFri May 21, 2010 10:11 am

MissOleson wrote:
I am mad about all of the Big Band singers and "crooners". Does anyone else really like singers of this type? My top favorites are:
Vic Damone
Frank Sinatra
Dean Martin
Nat 'King' Cole
Dick Haymes
Sammy Davis Jr

I just really love a nice smooth voice. One that can not only seduce you with each note that is sung, but is also capable of making you want to get up and dance. And those singers were all that way. I just love them. greenS

Me too. Thumbsup Those are some great examples you listed.

To me, this is the epitomy of 'crooner', right here:

(a shorter version of the song but you get to hear enough of her voice in this song Smile - I've tried to sing this song and it is hard for me to do, and so I applaud her for being able to pull it off like she can)

(I love to sing this song, though - too bad I can't do it as well as she does!)

(this song is just incredible to me and their voices blend so well together - the other girl's name is Christiane Noll)

Amy wrote:
To me, this is the epitomy of 'crooner', right here
Too bad that the video no longer exists but Billie Holiday is pretty good. If I were going to choose a female crooner, for me it has always been Ella Fitzgerald. I just love her. This is my favorite song of hers. I think no other version compares to hers.

Amy wrote:
Big Band music is amAzing! I think I would have fit in very well in that era actually. yes Gotta love Glen Miller!
"I've Got a Gal in Kalamazoo" is great. And I loved seeing that clip with the Nicholas Brothers. Nobody dances like that anymore. No

Here is a big Glenn Miller favorite of mine:

Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

1940's Big Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1940's Big Band   1940's Big Band EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 9:56 am

We had the Glenn Miller Orchestra in town a few weeks ago. Kara went to see them and enjoyed it.

1940's Big Band Lorike10
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : 1940's Big Band Indiff10

1940's Big Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1940's Big Band   1940's Big Band EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 7:44 pm

I've always been curious to go to one of the Glenn Miller Orchestra shows. I bet that would be such a fun night.

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

1940's Big Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1940's Big Band   1940's Big Band Empty

Back to top Go down

1940's Big Band
Page 1 of 1