HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Are we more spoiled now?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lily
"Beautiful Life"



Number of posts : 6784
Location : In the town shopping
Mood :

PostSubject: Are we more spoiled now?   Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:19 pm

One thought comes to my head: Have we been spoiled since the invention of AC? How do our ancesters survive with the heatwave back in the days? Women had to wear layers of long dress all through the summer, but they endured the heat. Pioneer folks had to tend their farms in hot temperature, but somehow they tolorated without resistence. I'm sure they complained about the heat, but they still lived through their lives without the indulgence of AC, or fans.

Nowadays, we complain how hot it is even when temperature is in the 80's. We turn on the AC without any hesitation the minute we feel hot. Have the bodies of human beings been oxidized the density of heat in-take? Or are we just flat out spoiled?

I know I am a bit spoiled too in that sense. The first 10 years of my life I grew up with no AC. We had fans in the house. I remember being hot and sat in front of the fan was a thing to do. I washed my face and arms in cold water was a way to cool down my body heat. Sucked on popcicles was another way to cool down for me. I also remember opened the freezer door and stuck my head in to cool off my face...and had my parents yelled in the back, 'CLOSE THE FREEZER DOOR!' LOL!



"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards


Number of posts : 9006
Location : Life is short! embrace it with a SMILE.
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:38 pm

I would say we are spoiled i am at least. we moved around so much when i was younger so we had a AC on and off there were couple of houses that had a AC. but there were more houses that did't have one. one house in mexico had a Water Cooler that was very nice lol.



Leukemia Awareness
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savannah
"Psalm 34"



Number of posts : 53814
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:13 pm

We don't have AC. Lily, I'll be over in just a few minutes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva


Number of posts : 7227
Location : In a book
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:53 pm

I'm not sure how they did it either. While there are few nights I would say I must have AC, I know I can't sleep at all without a fan blowing over me. What the heck is going to happen when I go through menopause and start having hot flashes?


Photobucket
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life


Number of posts : 5178
Location : Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:53 pm

Yes. I think we are a little spoiled, to say the least. For example, doctors said that children nowadays are much more easy to become sick, for they parents cares too much about their health and the body isn't alowed to defend itself from illness. Today there are a much more allergenic troubles than some years ago.

Other thing I notices: almost all parents of today gives their children all that they wants. Their are the rulers in home. They doesn't eat whatever you puts in their plates when it comes the meals hours. Food must look "funny" to make them to like it, and they wants to study what they considers "boring" subjects at school.They uses to hate to work hard to study. They uses to go to PC, make a little research in a subjet, paste the content, and offer it to their teachers without even read it. There isn't completely their fault. Adults are raising them this way. Psychologist are always saying that education must be always "fun", parents are convinced that they must not punish their children in order of not "discourage" them, and teachers could not encourage good pupils for it could be "sad" for bad ones...We are doing an immense harm to our children, and are raising a generation of weak people. No

Of course, we are also spoiled. Back in other eras, when we must work to get something, we'd learn to appreciate it greatly; now, that we push a button and information appears, that we push another button and our vegetables are chopped in a blink of eyelids we are not used to WAIT and to WORK to reach our objectives. We have ten times more clothes than our grandparents and general things are easiest for us.

Sorry, but yes...I think we are a little spoiled nowadays. Ooops ShyGirl

Vanesa.



Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jacintapichimahuida.obolog.com
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner


Number of posts : 1209
Location : Northern Ireland
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:59 am

bethandmanly wrote:
What the heck is going to happen when I go through menopause and start having hot flashes?

You don't want to know, Cheryl!!! grinsmiley




"To change your life takes a lot of courage and energy. It's not for wimps." Karen Grassle. April 2006
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!


Number of posts : 52508
Location : Michigan
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:17 am

I wouldn't worry about the hot flashes, Cheryl. You'll probably be too concerned with your new mustache to even notice them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savannah
"Psalm 34"



Number of posts : 53814
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:52 am

ROB! Frying pan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!


Number of posts : 52508
Location : Michigan
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:53 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savannah
"Psalm 34"



Number of posts : 53814
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:12 am

Some Easter bunnies are just SO dramatic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!


Number of posts : 52508
Location : Michigan
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:33 am

Just for that, when I reach post #11,111, I'm going to take a week off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time


Number of posts : 13376
Location : Michigan
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:01 am

Lily wrote:
One thought comes to my head: Have we been spoiled since the invention of AC? How do our ancesters survive with the heatwave back in the days? Women had to wear layers of long dress all through the summer, but they endured the heat. Pioneer folks had to tend their farms in hot temperature, but somehow they tolorated without resistence. I'm sure they complained about the heat, but they still lived through their lives without the indulgence of AC, or fans.

I am guessing that's a big fat yes----we are simply spoiled. I also think heat is less bearable due to running in and out of places/stores that have air conditioning. It makes you realize just how hot and humid it is when you step out of that! Also, we just went to Greenfield Village on the 4th of July (yes, AGAIN, LOL!), on one of the hottest days of the summer, and of course there's no air in most of the buildings there, certainly not the pioneer homes. The people that work there dress up in pioneer clothing, and they cook in the houses too (they sit down at the big farm tables and eat the pioneer food that they've prepared, while the 'guests' walk through and visit the homes). Well, at one of the homes (Firestone Farm, of the Firestone tire company---it's a real working farm in the village), they were making homemade ice cream!! It was torture watching them make it---vanilla ice cream with fresh picked strawberries! It looked better than Edys! greenS They said that really was something that most families did make back then, to help with the heat. But they did say it took ALL morning long and part of the afternoon to make it and get it frozen enough to eat---you probably work up a sweat just preparing it! Yikes

Vanesa wrote:
Yes. I think we are a little spoiled, to say the least. For example, doctors said that children nowadays are much more easy to become sick, for they parents cares too much about their health and the body isn't alowed to defend itself from illness. Today there are a much more allergenic troubles than some years ago.

Other thing I notices: almost all parents of today gives their children all that they wants. Their are the rulers in home. They doesn't eat whatever you puts in their plates when it comes the meals hours. Food must look "funny" to make them to like it, and they wants to study what they considers "boring" subjects at school.They uses to hate to work hard to study. They uses to go to PC, make a little research in a subjet, paste the content, and offer it to their teachers without even read it. There isn't completely their fault. Adults are raising them this way. Psychologist are always saying that education must be always "fun", parents are convinced that they must not punish their children in order of not "discourage" them, and teachers could not encourage good pupils for it could be "sad" for bad ones...We are doing an immense harm to our children, and are raising a generation of weak people. No

Of course, we are also spoiled. Back in other eras, when we must work to get something, we'd learn to appreciate it greatly; now, that we push a button and information appears, that we push another button and our vegetables are chopped in a blink of eyelids we are not used to WAIT and to WORK to reach our objectives. We have ten times more clothes than our grandparents and general things are easiest for us.

Sorry, but yes...I think we are a little spoiled nowadays. Ooops ShyGirl

Vanesa.



Don't apologize Vanesa---that was a brilliant post! Thumbsup I agree with all of it, 100%. yes



carolineingalls wrote:
bethandmanly wrote:
What the heck is going to happen when I go through menopause and start having hot flashes?

You don't want to know, Cheryl!!! grinsmiley


Ok, now I'm scared. scared


Rob wrote:
I wouldn't worry about the hot flashes, Cheryl. You'll probably be too concerned with your new mustache to even notice them.

Noo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner


Number of posts : 1209
Location : Northern Ireland
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:32 am

Rob wrote:
Just for that, when I reach post #11,111, I'm going to take a week off.

Is that a promise, Rob? yesss

Can we have it in writing? Wave




"To change your life takes a lot of courage and energy. It's not for wimps." Karen Grassle. April 2006
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savannah
"Psalm 34"



Number of posts : 53814
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:55 pm

Rob, if you promise NOT to do that, I'll tell you how Tuesday's competition goes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!


Number of posts : 52508
Location : Michigan
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Deal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life


Number of posts : 5919
Location : Curled up with a great book.
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Yes, we are a people that are spoiled. When I was 9 my parents divorced and my Mom, brother and I moved in with my Grandmother. She had no AC, but was the proud owner of many fans. I loved the attic fan she used at night. By morning, you would be freezing, but most days were really hot.
I have to say when you are living in the heat, you do get used to it to a point. You dress cool and keep ice water in the fridge.
I learned alot living there with my Grandmother. As so many kids did in pioneer times, I tended a garden. I learned how to plant, weed, water and cover plants from the frost. In return I gained patience, and what hard work really is. If you take care of something it gives back.
Living in Texas, its hot. I really would not want to get stuck without an AC again. (Hurricane Rita was bad enough)

Menopause.....well I'll be the one in the bathtub full of ice. And Girls, I'll be the first to pass my bonnet to be collecting Rob an "Ole' Man Kit." I'll toss in Preparation H Suppositories. We are always thinking of you Rob.




It is the lack of Christianity that has brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts. LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:46 pm

i never had a/c at all...we just have fans...i usually cold when a/c is turned on too high.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva


Number of posts : 7227
Location : In a book
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:07 pm

Rob wrote:
I wouldn't worry about the hot flashes, Cheryl. You'll probably be too concerned with your new mustache to even notice them.

What do you mean my new mustache?



Photobucket
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!


Number of posts : 52508
Location : Michigan
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:42 pm

You know, a lot of women can't pull off that look.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life


Number of posts : 5919
Location : Curled up with a great book.
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:48 pm

AND there is alot of women you WOULDN'T pull that off of!!!




It is the lack of Christianity that has brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts. LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva


Number of posts : 7227
Location : In a book
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:23 am

Rob wrote:
You know, a lot of women can't pull off that look.

It was hard finding a photo of someone with as little cleavage as me.


Photobucket
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!


Number of posts : 52508
Location : Michigan
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:28 am

Well, the 'stache tends to draw the eye away from the cleavagelessness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life


Number of posts : 5919
Location : Curled up with a great book.
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:37 pm

This is true.....Pamela Anderson MIGHT be able to do this.....NOT!




It is the lack of Christianity that has brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts. LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Are we more spoiled now?   Today at 1:04 am

Back to top Go down
 
Are we more spoiled now?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» New Tata Sky Spoiler (It indeed spoiled my mood :'( )
» Kids are spoiled
» [TCG] Dragons of Legend - German cards spoiled!

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Walnut Grove Community :: Town Gossip-
Jump to: