Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hetty King Jackie Burroughs

Go down 
+3
LIWnut
Savannah
JW
7 posters
AuthorMessage
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Happy011

Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Empty
PostSubject: Hetty King Jackie Burroughs    Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 12:50 pm

Our Dear Hetty King as Died at the Age of 71 Blue i think there are some Peopel that Know her from Road to Avonlea and she also played Amelia Evans in Anne of Green Gables

By Diana Mehta, The Canadian Press

TORONTO - Actress Jackie Burroughs, best known for her role as schoolteacher Hetty King on popular television series "Road to Avonlea", has died. She was 71.

The British-born Canadian died in her Toronto home Wednesday afternoon while surrounded by family and friends. She had been suffering from gastric cancer.

"To her fans who are missing her, I would say we are all missing her," said daughter Zoe Yanovsky.

"She was an amazing actress and she developed her craft and took it very seriously and was also a very real private person with a wonderful life and a family."

Yanovsky, who is an only child, said her mother was very close to her family, which included a brother and two grandsons.

"She had an incredible life that was so artistic, and generous and kind and interesting," said the 42-year-old. "She was full of life."

Goddaughter Maggie Gilmour said Burroughs passed peacefully and wasn't in any pain in her last moments.

"She was endlessly, boundlessly, generous," said 32-year-old Gilmour. "And extremely, achingly, painfully, funny."

Gilmour said Burroughs was actually nothing like the strict school maa'rm she portrayed in "Road to Avonlea."

"A week ago, I visited her and she was ill, not feeling well, but she still told me stories and made me laugh," said Gilmour. "She always made me feel adored."

Burroughs who appeared on the stage and the screen, made more than 75 feature films and received multiple Genies, Geminis and a Governor General's award for her work.

Shirley Douglas, who has known Burroughs for the past 32 years, said the veteran actress left an impression on the people she worked with.

"She was a tremendous volcano to work with," Douglas said with a chuckle. "She could drive people crazy, but the result was so extraordinary."

Douglas also remembers Burroughs as one who gave back to not just the artistic community, but anyone who she felt could use a helping hand. The 76-year-old remembers her friend often giving quiet words of encouragement to young performers one day and stopping to help a person on the street the next.

"She had tremendous humanity," said Douglas. "The longer you knew her the more you realized it."

Douglas said much of Burroughs' hands-on compassion stemmed from her own troubles with alcoholism 25 years ago.

"She recognized people who were going through trouble," she said. "She gave support, and that's not easy to find."

Born in Lancashire, England, Burroughs moved to Canada when she was 13 and went on to attend the University of Toronto. Her acting career began in summer theatre after she graduated and later included runs at the Stratford Festival.

On the screen, she won her first Genie for "The Grey Fox" and also went on to play Amelia Evans in the 1985 television movie "Anne of Green Gables."

That role landed her a part on "Road to Avonlea", where she became a familiar face in the eccentric role of Hetty King, taking home three Gemini's for her performances.

Her marriage to Zal Yanovsky, founding member of musical group "The Loving Spoonful", ended soon after their daughter was born. Until recently Burroughs divided her time between a home in Mexico and an apartment in Toronto.

A funeral for Burroughs will be held in the St. James Cathedral in Toronto next week.

"She was a unique person and a unique artist," said Douglas. "I, like so many other people, will be grateful to have known her, and will miss her terribly."

Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Jacobk10Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54425
Mood : Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Hetty King Jackie Burroughs    Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 1:09 pm

Aw, that's sad to hear that she died of cancer. Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Kopfschuettel It sounds like she lived quite a vibrant, full life, though! I loved her portrayal of Hetty King - even though Hetty drove me bonkers sometimes. But that was what Hetty was supposed to do, so she played her part well. Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  70708
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: Hetty King Jackie Burroughs    Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Awww, I am sorry to hear that news. Jackie was great on Avonlea. I agree with you Savannah, you loved to hate Hetty. But in the later seasons she softened up quite a bit.
I'll have to watch my local newscast tonight to see if they mention her.

Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  MarilynKeeper Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

PostSubject: Re: Hetty King Jackie Burroughs    Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 1:41 am

Her role in the "Anne" movie; wasn't she the lady that recited her poetry piece right before Anne did hers, "The Highwayman?"

Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  HummerHetty King  Jackie Burroughs  MistiKeeperHetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Bookclub5Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Hetty King Jackie Burroughs    Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 1:58 am

Yes, Misti, she was.

I'm so sad to hear this. I loved her work on RTA.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Hetty King Jackie Burroughs    Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 10:37 am

71 is just too young. So sorry to hear this. Blue
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: Hetty King Jackie Burroughs    Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 12:09 pm

Oh wow, I remember her Blue

Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Horses10
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Hetty King Jackie Burroughs    Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 6:55 pm

I googled her to find out more info and found some pictures of her. 71 may be young but she looked really old in the photos that I saw. The poor dear will be greatly missed.

Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  MarilynKeeper Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Hetty King Jackie Burroughs    Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 7:34 pm

Would you please post the Pictures Marilyn?

Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Jacobk10Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Jacob210
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Hetty King Jackie Burroughs    Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 9:44 pm

Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Jb

This is from 2005.

Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Jb2009

This is from September 2009.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Hetty King Jackie Burroughs    Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 10:10 pm

Yup, those are the ones that I saw. Poor dear. It has been quite awhile since Avonlea was filmed but I think her sickness must have aged her too.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hetty King Jackie Burroughs    Hetty King  Jackie Burroughs  Empty

Back to top Go down

Hetty King Jackie Burroughs
Page 1 of 1