Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Songs That Make Men Cry

Go down 
+6
JW
pamh36
Amy
bethandmanly
Savannah
Rob
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Songs That Make Men Cry - Page 2 Bokmal10

Songs That Make Men Cry - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Songs That Make Men Cry   Songs That Make Men Cry - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 8:36 pm

flatbroke wrote:
bethandmanly wrote:
Rob wrote:
“Nothing Compares 2 U,” Sinead O’Connor

Really? Maybe they're crying because that song is so bad. Songs That Make Men Cry - Page 2 811339
Songs That Make Men Cry - Page 2 184143 Is it cuz you're Catholic? Personally, I don't care their religious beliefs. But I'm listening to Sinead sing Last Day of our Acquaintance.

I'm not Catholic. I'm an Evangelical Christian; but no that has nothing to do with it. I've just never liked that song. That whiney, "Nothing compares to youuuuuuuuuuuuu," is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : Songs That Make Men Cry - Page 2 Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Make Men Cry   Songs That Make Men Cry - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 2:29 pm

flatbroke wrote:
MissOleson wrote:
"Everybody Hurts"? Really? Actually that is my reaction to all of those songs except for "Tears in Heaven". That is the only song on that list, in my opinion, that I can see getting someone to become emotional. I just can't visualize a man crying to REM. Knowing the story behind "Tears in Heaven", and listening to the lyrics - along with the melody - that song is horribly sad and depressing.

Never said I was crying. Just listening. But one cries to a song that's sad that they can relate to. And I think I qualify as a man on all levels.

But then, you didn't actually single me out, you just made a general statement.

But I have shed a tear to Everybody Hurts a time or two. Depends on what's on my mind.
No, I was speaking in general. Smile All I think of when I hear about this song is this from "The Office". Unfortunately the clip here is short, but if you know anything about the show, Dwight was upset because Michael showed more attention to Ryan, the temp. Shame this is so short, though, because there are some good comments made during this clip that make it all the funnier.

I know what you are saying, though. There are some songs that just kill me. And "Tears in Heaven" is one of them. "Everybody Hurts", while a song I do happen to like, is just not one that does anything to me emotionally. Of course, they are talking about how men feel. And I am not a man. Smile

Here is a song that gets to me. It is called "Sarah" from the Broadway musical "The Civil War". It is supposed to be a letter written by a soldier to his wife. The lyrics kill me. The melody is such a downer. And the notes of the final lyrics aren't the happiest for me to listen to, "I love you my Sarah forever and always. And always my heart will be there". bawling I remember when I first played this song for my brother, and the last lines were song, he just sat there and said "This is pretty bad, isn't it?". I think I put him in a funk over it! PLEASE IGNORE THE FACT THAT THEY USED IT FOR A VIDEO FOR GIRL FROM THE SHOW "CHUCK"!!! THEY RUINED THE POINT OF THE SONG WITH THAT NONSENSE! Ranting But this is the BEST version of this song (from the original concept album).

Anyway, it is based on the now famous letter by the union major, Sullivan Ballou. If you want a good cry, read his letter here. There is no reason for something as depressing as this. If I am ever in a good mood, I try to avoid this letter. It always brings me down. And if I am not too happy to begin with, I avoid it because I don't need to feel worse. Yet, it is so beautifully written, and so painfully sad, that I have read it more than once. THIS is what makes me cry.
http://www.civilwardads.com/CivilWarArchives/SullivanBallou.htm
He died a week after this was written. And the letter was never mailed to his wife. I don't know if she ever eventually received it, but I know she never remarried. I don't know how someone could knowing that this man felt the way he did about her.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62618
Mood : Songs That Make Men Cry - Page 2 Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Make Men Cry   Songs That Make Men Cry - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 6:44 pm

I remember that Sullivan Ballou letter from Ken Burns' documentary The Civil War. Incredibly moving.
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : Songs That Make Men Cry - Page 2 Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Make Men Cry   Songs That Make Men Cry - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 2:46 pm

Rob wrote:
I remember that Sullivan Ballou letter from Ken Burns' documentary The Civil War. Incredibly moving.
I was 11 years old when Ken Burns' documentary was first on TV. I watched it the original showing of it every night (what other 11 year-old girl had such a keen interest in the Civil War? I don't know - I was a little odd compared to the others I knew Smile ). But this letter ended the first episode and it made such an impact on me even at 11. The version in the documentary is abridged, but the most emotional parts are still left in the show.

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Number of posts : 2648
Mood : Songs That Make Men Cry - Page 2 Party010

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Make Men Cry   Songs That Make Men Cry - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 4:38 am

I served with a guy from OZ (Australia), and he was one tough dude. Especially when I needed him. He's the reason if I have another daughter, she'll be named Matilda. He always sang "Waltzing my Matilda" when we were sitting around cleaning it up. He did me favors, he had my back. God bless the land of OZ...