HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker


Number of posts : 8656
Location : California Country
Mood :

PostSubject: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:04 pm

Okay... so I have fallen in love with the Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup! Love

I tried it for the first time 2 days ago and I love it!



We are having some dinner guests and I was thinking of serving them this for dinner. Do they sell these in the store? Is it easy to make from scratch? I think I might have to order it from the restaurant I went to! LOL



Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myworldthroughthelens.smugmug.com/
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life


Number of posts : 5900
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:12 pm

Carol wrote:
Okay... so I have fallen in love with the Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup! Love

I tried it for the first time 2 days ago and I love it!



We are having some dinner guests and I was thinking of serving them this for dinner. Do they sell these in the store? Is it easy to make from scratch? I think I might have to order it from the restaurant I went to! LOL


I saw the title of this thread and was hoping there was a recipe because it sounds really good, and then you taunt me further by posting a picture and no recipe. laugh3

I've tried canned chicken and dumpling soup but I haven't found any that is so great. I've had it at restaurants and it is really good. I do make homemade chicken and dumplings, but have never tried to do it as a soup. It is time consuming because I like the flat dumplings and it takes awhile to mix and roll out the dough, and then cut the dumplings out. When I do make them, Kelsey usually does that part because she likes it. Laughing Usually, I just end up going to Cracker Barrel to fulfill my chicken and dumpling craving, or go to my favorite local restaurant for the soup.


Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carol
Adventure Seeker


Number of posts : 8656
Location : California Country
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:20 pm

Well guess what?
I kept searching and saw where that pic came from. Here is the site that has the recipe. I will definitively give this a try and hope to not mess it up! LOL

http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dinner/creamy-chicken-dumplings.html


Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myworldthroughthelens.smugmug.com/
Savannah
"Psalm 34"



Number of posts : 53815
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:31 pm

That. Looks. Amazing. I'm definitely going to give that a try!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life


Number of posts : 5900
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:53 pm

Thanks for posting the link, Carol. I'm going to have to try it. It looks too good not to! It looks like less work too. A definite plus.


Back to top Go down
View user profile
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life


Number of posts : 23099
Location : Victor Harbor, South Australia
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:51 pm

Looks delicious!! Can you make some for me? greenS


Back to top Go down
View user profile
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird


Number of posts : 4117
Location : Texas
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:56 pm

I had to laugh when I saw the title of the thread. Funny story...back when David & I were first married I decided to make him some chicken & dumplings. I did, he took one bite and said that phrase that sinks many a ship, "Your chicken & dumplings don't taste like my mom makes them!" Ranting

Now she does make good chicken & dumplings but I like mine, too. I make mine more biscuit like.



"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life


Number of posts : 5900
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:23 pm

Misti wrote:
I had to laugh when I saw the title of the thread. Funny story...back when David & I were first married I decided to make him some chicken & dumplings. I did, he took one bite and said that phrase that sinks many a ship, "Your chicken & dumplings don't taste like my mom makes them!" Ranting

Now she does make good chicken & dumplings but I like mine, too. I make mine more biscuit like.

Laughing That reminds me of a story my mom told me about when she and my dad were first married. She made chicken and dumplings for the first time and when he got home from work, he lifted the lid on the pot and said, "What's this?". She took it as an insult that he had to ask what it was. But, it just looked different than what his mom made. His mom made the fluffy drop-style dumplings, and my mom made the flat more noodle-like dumplings. He liked it, it just looked different than what he always had, but my mom never made it for him again. Laughing

He still got some of those chicken and dumplings though because my grandma (my mom's mom) always made the flat dumplings and she moved in with us and took over the cooking after my mom got sick. It was always a familly favorite.


Back to top Go down
View user profile
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life


Number of posts : 23099
Location : Victor Harbor, South Australia
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:26 pm

Both of your stories are Laughing


Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!


Number of posts : 52511
Location : Michigan
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:28 pm

Pam wrote:
Funny story...back when David & I were first married I decided to make him some chicken & dumplings. I did, he took one bite and said that phrase that sinks many a ship, "Your chicken & dumplings don't taste like my mom makes them!"

This is where a husband has to think on his feet: "Your chicken & dumplings don't taste like my mom makes them..." [notices the look on his wife's face] "Yours are much better."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savannah
"Psalm 34"



Number of posts : 53815
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:32 pm

Rob wrote:
Pam wrote:
Funny story...back when David & I were first married I decided to make him some chicken & dumplings. I did, he took one bite and said that phrase that sinks many a ship, "Your chicken & dumplings don't taste like my mom makes them!"

This is where a husband has to think on his feet: "Your chicken & dumplings don't taste like my mom makes them..." [notices the look on his wife's face] "Yours are much better."

Rob!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savannah
"Psalm 34"



Number of posts : 53815
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:33 pm

Misti and Pam, those are such funny stories! (Though, at the time they happened it probably wasn't. )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird


Number of posts : 4117
Location : Texas
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:41 pm

pamh36 wrote:
Misti wrote:
I had to laugh when I saw the title of the thread. Funny story...back when David & I were first married I decided to make him some chicken & dumplings. I did, he took one bite and said that phrase that sinks many a ship, "Your chicken & dumplings don't taste like my mom makes them!" Ranting

Now she does make good chicken & dumplings but I like mine, too. I make mine more biscuit like.

Laughing That reminds me of a story my mom told me about when she and my dad were first married. She made chicken and dumplings for the first time and when he got home from work, he lifted the lid on the pot and said, "What's this?". She took it as an insult that he had to ask what it was. But, it just looked different than what his mom made. His mom made the fluffy drop-style dumplings, and my mom made the flat more noodle-like dumplings. He liked it, it just looked different than what he always had, but my mom never made it for him again. Laughing

He still got some of those chicken and dumplings though because my grandma (my mom's mom) always made the flat dumplings and she moved in with us and took over the cooking after my mom got sick. It was always a familly favorite.
The flat ones are the way that Ruth (my mil) makes them.



"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life


Number of posts : 5178
Location : Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:42 pm

You made me both laugh, Misti and Pam! ROTFL But even laughing I want to try this recipe RIGHT NOW! grinsmiley

Vanesa.


Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jacintapichimahuida.obolog.com
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time


Number of posts : 13378
Location : Michigan
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:54 pm

Carol wrote:
Well guess what?
I kept searching and saw where that pic came from. Here is the site that has the recipe. I will definitively give this a try and hope to not mess it up! LOL

http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dinner/creamy-chicken-dumplings.html


Carol, I'm not sure if you get "Jiffy" brand where you live, (it's a Michigan based company that's been around since the 30's), but my friend and I just had a conversation about how much better dumplings turn out with Jiffy brand mix than Bisquik's. Subsitute with that if you can find it! Thumbsup

Rob wrote:
Pam wrote:
Funny story...back when David & I were first married I decided to make him some chicken & dumplings. I did, he took one bite and said that phrase that sinks many a ship, "Your chicken & dumplings don't taste like my mom makes them!"

This is where a husband has to think on his feet: "Your chicken & dumplings don't taste like my mom makes them..." [notices the look on his wife's face] "Yours are much better."


Good answer Rob! Wink What a great hubby you will make someday! Thumbsup (and no, that's not a proposal...I am a married woman after all! batEyes ).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carol
Adventure Seeker


Number of posts : 8656
Location : California Country
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:38 am

Amy wrote:

Carol, I'm not sure if you get "Jiffy" brand where you live, (it's a Michigan based company that's been around since the 30's), but my friend and I just had a conversation about how much better dumplings turn out with Jiffy brand mix than Bisquik's. Subsitute with that if you can find it! Thumbsup

Hmmm, thanks for the tip! I will look for it! Smile


Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myworldthroughthelens.smugmug.com/
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler


Number of posts : 895
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:06 pm

Carol wrote:
Okay... so I have fallen in love with the Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup! Love
I am so in love with Chicken and Dumpling soup!! And it seems that I am the only one that I personally know of that likes it! scratchead Well, glad to see that you have now experienced the greatness of it, too, though. greenS

pamh36 wrote:
I've tried canned chicken and dumpling soup but I haven't found any that is so great.
Have you ever tried Hormel's? That isn't too bad. They have a Hormel Compleats Microwave meal of Chicken and Dumplings that is pretty good (when I was working, I lived off their microwave meals).

pamh36 wrote:
Usually, I just end up going to Cracker Barrel to fulfill my chicken and dumpling craving
That is what I am doing for my birthday next month. That is my treat to myself every year. I place an order of Chicken and Dumplings, with 2 sides of Fried Apples (they are just insanely good!) to take home for my birthday. greenS


In the Laura Ingalls Wilder Country Cookbook they have her recipe for Chicken and Dumplings. If anyone has that book, and has made the recipe, how was it? I have wanted to try it for years but nobody has any interest in eating it. I suppose I could try to cut the recipe down and try it for myself sometime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life


Number of posts : 5900
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:37 pm

MissOleson wrote:
pamh36 wrote:
I've tried canned chicken and dumpling soup but I haven't found any that is so great.
Have you ever tried Hormel's? That isn't too bad. They have a Hormel Compleats Microwave meal of Chicken and Dumplings that is pretty good (when I was working, I lived off their microwave meals).

No, I haven't tried the Hormel meals. I have seen those and they actually do look pretty good. I'll have to try it.

MissOleson wrote:
pamh36 wrote:
Usually, I just end up going to Cracker Barrel to fulfill my chicken and dumpling craving
That is what I am doing for my birthday next month. That is my treat to myself every year. I place an order of Chicken and Dumplings, with 2 sides of Fried Apples (they are just insanely good!) to take home for my birthday. greenS

What a funny coincidence. Cracker Barrel is where I went for my birthday dinner, and yes, I got chicken and dumplings too. They make the best!


Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carol
Adventure Seeker


Number of posts : 8656
Location : California Country
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:55 pm

I heard that the canned soups were not that great because they had too much sodium.

Didn't Ma make Chicken & Dumplings soup in one of the Little House episodes? For some reason, I remember Laura saying the chicken and dumplings phrase scratchead Laughing


Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myworldthroughthelens.smugmug.com/
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow


Number of posts : 2649
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:49 am

Carol wrote:
I heard that the canned soups were not that great because they had too much sodium.

Didn't Ma make Chicken & Dumplings soup in one of the Little House episodes? For some reason, I remember Laura saying the chicken and dumplings phrase
Yeah, I think it was a Christmas episode. I'm pretty sure Mr. Edwards was there. I don't think it was the first one, but I'm pretty sure it was a Christmas one. Could be wrong though.

And there was more sodium in early dishes than there are today. It added flavor, it cured their meat for winter, and they'd never heard of too much sodium. Most likely, if you went back in time and said something, they'd look at you funny. They didn't have sodium, they had salt in their terminology. The earliest settlements were built near a source of salt because of its necessity of the time.

History; the only class I generally stayed awake all the way through for besides English Literature. Image hosted by servimg.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Today at 1:39 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup
» Soup in the halogen Oven
» stone soup
» Chicken Kiev with Bacon
» frozen chicken

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Walnut Grove Community :: Town Gossip-
Jump to: