Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup

Go down 
+6
Rob
Misti
alexczarn
Savannah
pamh36
Carol
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Happy010

Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Empty
PostSubject: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 12:04 pm

Okay... so I have fallen in love with the Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup! Love

I tried it for the first time 2 days ago and I love it!

Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Creamy-chicken-and-dumplings-13

We are having some dinner guests and I was thinking of serving them this for dinner. Do they sell these in the store? Is it easy to make from scratch? I think I might have to order it from the restaurant I went to! LOL

Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Horses10
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 12:12 pm

Carol wrote:

I tried it for the first time 2 days ago and I love it!

Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Creamy-chicken-and-dumplings-13

We are having some dinner guests and I was thinking of serving them this for dinner. Do they sell these in the store? Is it easy to make from scratch? I think I might have to order it from the restaurant I went to! LOL

I saw the title of this thread and was hoping there was a recipe because it sounds really good, and then you taunt me further by posting a picture and no recipe. laugh3

I've tried canned chicken and dumpling soup but I haven't found any that is so great. I've had it at restaurants and it is really good. I do make homemade chicken and dumplings, but have never tried to do it as a soup. It is time consuming because I like the flat dumplings and it takes awhile to mix and roll out the dough, and then cut the dumplings out. When I do make them, Kelsey usually does that part because she likes it. Laughing Usually, I just end up going to Cracker Barrel to fulfill my chicken and dumpling craving, or go to my favorite local restaurant for the soup.

Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 12:20 pm

Well guess what?
I kept searching and saw where that pic came from. Here is the site that has the recipe. I will definitively give this a try and hope to not mess it up! LOL

http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dinner/creamy-chicken-dumplings.html

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54423

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 12:31 pm

Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup 184143 Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup 184143 Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup 184143 That. Looks. Amazing. I'm definitely going to give that a try!
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 1:53 pm

Thanks for posting the link, Carol. I'm going to have to try it. It looks too good not to! It looks like less work too. A definite plus.

Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 4:51 pm

Looks delicious!! Can you make some for me? greenS

Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 6:56 pm

I had to laugh when I saw the title of the thread. Funny story...back when David & I were first married I decided to make him some chicken & dumplings. I did, he took one bite and said that phrase that sinks many a ship, "Your chicken & dumplings don't taste like my mom makes them!" Ranting

Now she does make good chicken & dumplings but I like mine, too. I make mine more biscuit like.

Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup HummerCreamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup MistiKeeperCreamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Bookclub5Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 9:23 pm

Misti wrote:
I had to laugh when I saw the title of the thread. Funny story...back when David & I were first married I decided to make him some chicken & dumplings. I did, he took one bite and said that phrase that sinks many a ship, "Your chicken & dumplings don't taste like my mom makes them!" Ranting

Now she does make good chicken & dumplings but I like mine, too. I make mine more biscuit like.

Laughing That reminds me of a story my mom told me about when she and my dad were first married. She made chicken and dumplings for the first time and when he got home from work, he lifted the lid on the pot and said, "What's this?". She took it as an insult that he had to ask what it was. But, it just looked different than what his mom made. His mom made the fluffy drop-style dumplings, and my mom made the flat more noodle-like dumplings. He liked it, it just looked different than what he always had, but my mom never made it for him again. Laughing

He still got some of those chicken and dumplings though because my grandma (my mom's mom) always made the flat dumplings and she moved in with us and took over the cooking after my mom got sick. It was always a familly favorite.

Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 9:26 pm

Both of your stories are Laughing

Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62606
Mood : Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 9:28 pm

Pam wrote:
Funny story...back when David & I were first married I decided to make him some chicken & dumplings. I did, he took one bite and said that phrase that sinks many a ship, "Your chicken & dumplings don't taste like my mom makes them!" Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup 954985

This is where a husband has to think on his feet: "Your chicken & dumplings don't taste like my mom makes them..." [notices the look on his wife's face] "Yours are much better." Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup 811339
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 9:32 pm

Rob wrote:
Pam wrote:
Funny story...back when David & I were first married I decided to make him some chicken & dumplings. I did, he took one bite and said that phrase that sinks many a ship, "Your chicken & dumplings don't taste like my mom makes them!" Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup 954985

This is where a husband has to think on his feet: "Your chicken & dumplings don't taste like my mom makes them..." [notices the look on his wife's face] "Yours are much better." Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup 811339

Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup 85958 Rob!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 9:33 pm

Misti and Pam, those are such funny stories! Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup 85958 (Though, at the time they happened it probably wasn't. Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup 135245 )
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 11:41 pm

pamh36 wrote:
Misti wrote:

Laughing That reminds me of a story my mom told me about when she and my dad were first married. She made chicken and dumplings for the first time and when he got home from work, he lifted the lid on the pot and said, "What's this?". She took it as an insult that he had to ask what it was. But, it just looked different than what his mom made. His mom made the fluffy drop-style dumplings, and my mom made the flat more noodle-like dumplings. He liked it, it just looked different than what he always had, but my mom never made it for him again. Laughing

He still got some of those chicken and dumplings though because my grandma (my mom's mom) always made the flat dumplings and she moved in with us and took over the cooking after my mom got sick. It was always a familly favorite.
The flat ones are the way that Ruth (my mil) makes them.

Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup HummerCreamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup MistiKeeperCreamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Bookclub5Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 11:42 pm

You made me both laugh, Misti and Pam! ROTFL But even laughing I want to try this recipe RIGHT NOW! grinsmiley

Vanesa.

Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 11:54 pm

Carol wrote:
Well guess what?
I kept searching and saw where that pic came from. Here is the site that has the recipe. I will definitively give this a try and hope to not mess it up! LOL

http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dinner/creamy-chicken-dumplings.html

Carol, I'm not sure if you get "Jiffy" brand where you live, (it's a Michigan based company that's been around since the 30's), but my friend and I just had a conversation about how much better dumplings turn out with Jiffy brand mix than Bisquik's. Subsitute with that if you can find it! Thumbsup

Rob wrote:
Pam wrote:

Good answer Rob! Wink What a great hubby you will make someday! Thumbsup (and no, that's not a proposal...I am a married woman after all! batEyes ).
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 11:38 am

Amy wrote:

Carol, I'm not sure if you get "Jiffy" brand where you live, (it's a Michigan based company that's been around since the 30's), but my friend and I just had a conversation about how much better dumplings turn out with Jiffy brand mix than Bisquik's. Subsitute with that if you can find it! Thumbsup

Hmmm, thanks for the tip! I will look for it! Smile

Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 2:06 pm

Carol wrote:
I am so in love with Chicken and Dumpling soup!! And it seems that I am the only one that I personally know of that likes it! scratchead Well, glad to see that you have now experienced the greatness of it, too, though. greenS

pamh36 wrote:
I've tried canned chicken and dumpling soup but I haven't found any that is so great.
Have you ever tried Hormel's? That isn't too bad. They have a Hormel Compleats Microwave meal of Chicken and Dumplings that is pretty good (when I was working, I lived off their microwave meals).

pamh36 wrote:
Usually, I just end up going to Cracker Barrel to fulfill my chicken and dumpling craving
That is what I am doing for my birthday next month. That is my treat to myself every year. I place an order of Chicken and Dumplings, with 2 sides of Fried Apples (they are just insanely good!) to take home for my birthday. greenS

In the Laura Ingalls Wilder Country Cookbook they have her recipe for Chicken and Dumplings. If anyone has that book, and has made the recipe, how was it? I have wanted to try it for years but nobody has any interest in eating it. I suppose I could try to cut the recipe down and try it for myself sometime.
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 3:37 pm

MissOleson wrote:
pamh36 wrote:
I've tried canned chicken and dumpling soup but I haven't found any that is so great.
Have you ever tried Hormel's? That isn't too bad. They have a Hormel Compleats Microwave meal of Chicken and Dumplings that is pretty good (when I was working, I lived off their microwave meals).

No, I haven't tried the Hormel meals. I have seen those and they actually do look pretty good. I'll have to try it.

MissOleson wrote:
pamh36 wrote:
Usually, I just end up going to Cracker Barrel to fulfill my chicken and dumpling craving
That is what I am doing for my birthday next month. That is my treat to myself every year. I place an order of Chicken and Dumplings, with 2 sides of Fried Apples (they are just insanely good!) to take home for my birthday. greenS

What a funny coincidence. Cracker Barrel is where I went for my birthday dinner, and yes, I got chicken and dumplings too. They make the best!

Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 3:55 pm

I heard that the canned soups were not that great because they had too much sodium.

Didn't Ma make Chicken & Dumplings soup in one of the Little House episodes? For some reason, I remember Laura saying the chicken and dumplings phrase scratchead Laughing

Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Number of posts : 2648
Mood : Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Party010

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 6:49 am

Carol wrote:
I heard that the canned soups were not that great because they had too much sodium.

Didn't Ma make Chicken & Dumplings soup in one of the Little House episodes? For some reason, I remember Laura saying the chicken and dumplings phrase Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup 988160 Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup 135245
Yeah, I think it was a Christmas episode. I'm pretty sure Mr. Edwards was there. I don't think it was the first one, but I'm pretty sure it was a Christmas one. Could be wrong though.

And there was more sodium in early dishes than there are today. It added flavor, it cured their meat for winter, and they'd never heard of too much sodium. Most likely, if you went back in time and said something, they'd look at you funny. They didn't have sodium, they had salt in their terminology. The earliest settlements were built near a source of salt because of its necessity of the time.

History; the only class I generally stayed awake all the way through for besides English Literature. Image hosted by servimg.com
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup   Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Empty

Back to top Go down

Creamy Chicken & Dumpling Soup
Page 1 of 1