Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Broadway anyone?

Go down 
+9
Rob
pamh36
Robinsgirl
Vanesa
MissOleson
Teresa
Carol
Savannah
Amy
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : Broadway anyone? - Page 2 Indiff10

Broadway anyone? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broadway anyone?   Broadway anyone? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Amy wrote:
Well, be sure to tell about it somewhere in this thread---that's what it's here for! Thumbsup Les Miserables is one I have not seen yet, but I would like to!
Alright then! Smile You know what you should try to watch? You should try to get your hands on a copy of the 10th Anniversary Concert at Royal Albert Hall. It is FANTASTIC!!! On top of everything else, you get the wonderful Michael Ball in it as Marius (he was the original). It is sooooo good!! But this 25th anniversary concert was so much fun to watch on the big screen. It really was. I know they do that with the Metropolitan Opera, but I seriously wish they would do that with more musicals. In fact, I would like to see a musical ON STAGE shown in a movie theater like that. They performed the entire musical but in the style of a concert. There was an intermission and everything. Nick Jonas was Marius. He looked a little nervous in the beginning and I didn't think he was loud enough at first. As time went on, though, he got really good. In fact, the character of Marius has one huge solo ("Empty Chairs at Empty Tables"). I was kind of nervous for him at first, but he really did a good job. Plus, he has INCREDIBLE hair!! Thumbsup That was all I stared at when he was on the screen! grinsmiley Anyway, they pulled out the original cast from 1985 (so the adorable Michael Ball was there Love ). I had a feeling they were going to do that. All of the Jean Valjeans sang "Bring Him Home". And the original cast sang "One Day More" (the end of Act I). It was very, VERY good!! During the credits, though, they made it clear that there was going to (FINALLY!!) be a film version. And they would be crazy if they didn't cast Nick Jonas as Marius. He was, as far as I am concerned, very good as Marius. And I can't think of anyone else in Hollywood that would be good enough for that role. They could always go with a no-name, but I think it would be fair to use him. I am really excited about this movie, though. I waited and WAITED for the film versions of "Sweeney Todd" and "The Phantom of the Opera" (my top 2 favorites). I thought both were actually pretty good (there were things that could've made them better, though). For some reason I am worried about this film, though. Maybe because the cast has to be so big or something. But I am a little worried that they are going to really miscast some of the roles. We will just have to wait and see, I suppose!

Amy wrote:
Guess what? I never had any idea that Dick Van Dyke's accent was criticized so much, until I read it from you and then looked it up online! OhMy He was supposed to have a "Cockney" accent apparently. I just find it so funny, to hear now that he has taken such a razzing for it for all these years, yet I loved it! Laughing More than the accent though, I just really loved his enthusiasm and energy. That's the word---energy---this actor in the musical just seemed to lack and a British accent. HeeHee And funny, I read an interview where Dick says no one in the show ever gave him even a hint that the accent wasn't good, or that he should change something. He even had a voice coach!
That is strange. You would think they would've had someone hint at the the fact that they didn't think he was that good. In a way I kind of feel bad for him now about it. Well, I still like him as Bert! Smile

Amy wrote:
You know, I guess I'm just not a 'program' kind of girl...for $20.00 I'd rather have something I can wear (like the charm bracelet) rather than something I'd put in a box and never look at for another 20 years. That's just me though. Wink And, as much as I LOVE musicals, I just don't get to see them very often (even though we live in a 'cultured' city that has an awesome theater that puts on great shows consistently)...but yeah, they're a little too pricey for me to justify. If I could spend on myself though, THAT would be it!!! Thumbsup
I actually do look at my programs from time-to-time. Smile I enjoy looking at all of the photos in those. So that is $20 I have no problem spending. I used to buy all sorts of stuff when I went to shows, but I stopped that. In fact, the last show that I bought a lot from was "Little House", but that was because I knew I would probably never get these things again and it WAS LH-related! The money I spent that day was the most I had spent at a show probably since I saw "Beauty and the Beast". I used to buy a t-shirt at every show, but I stopped that. I lost weight and they didn't fit. I gained some weight back and now the shirts that I could wear when I lost weight I can't wear now! So I decided it was pointless to keep buying those. The programs are best for me. Smile

Amy wrote:
Oh, I have NEVER seen Beauty and the Beast and that is my all-time favorite animated Disney movie. That was here a few years ago too, but sadly I missed it. Blue Hope it comes back again. And it's funny, I loved the animated version of the Lion King too, but didn't have any real interest in seeing that either---it was here last year.
Well, if that is your all-time favorite Disney film (it is mine, too), then you will HAVE to see it if it ever goes back there. It is really worth it! By the way, glad to hear someone else feels the same about "The Lion King". I just don't see why anyone would want to sit through the stage version.

Amy wrote:
Awww, I hope you can see it, I have NO doubt you'd love it. Do you know if it IS coming there??
Oh, who knows!!! We never really hear about it until the end of summer/early fall. So I wait every year for the list of shows (if I have to go to another town, I will - I drove 2 hours to go see the LH musical), and I am always disappointed. Except for this year when they announced "Jersey Boys". That made me happy. But I can't imagine what the big show will be next year if it is not "Mary Poppins". I will be seeing "Hair" in February. Smile Yes, I do love that music ("Good Morning Starshine" is one of the best ever - it is just SO pleasant!). But I am kind of curious to see it for another reason, too. I don't deny it. And that is all I will say about that. Smile We are getting the 25th anniversary tour for "Les Mis". I think my mother wants to see that. So I might be going to that (it would be my third time seeing that musical!). And I will definitely be seeing "Jersey Boys" this summer. I just can't miss that one!

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

PostSubject: Re: Broadway anyone?   Broadway anyone? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 3:05 pm

So, yeah, I went to see "Hair" in February. Not a show that I recommend to everyone because I know a lot of people wouldn't care for it. It just wouldn't be their cup of tea. But I was prepared. I know all of the things that happen in the show. And I LOVE the music!!! So, yes, I did enjoy it. I do believe it is one of the most depressing shows a person could ever see, though. I knew how it ended, but I think a lot of people, who don't know the story, wouldn't expect that to come from such a vibrant show. Yes, there was THE scene. And that wasn't a big deal! And there were many "offensive" things in the show, but they didn't offend me. After all, I knew what was coming and I knew that the only reason these things were done were to offend people. The cast was pretty good, but the one that plays Sheila ruined the best song in the show! I personally think "Good Morning, Starshine" is one of the best songs ever and she was SO FLAT! Huh? It was ridiculous! Anyway, I did manage to get myself a couple of daisies and an invitation to the "Be-In". Smile My daisies just died. I can't believe they lasted that long. Anyway, I did like the show. Glad to say that I have seen it now.

Also, I AM going to see the tour for the 25th anniversary for "Les Miserables". I am going to a matinee. Guess what day? April 24th. What day is that? EASTER!!! Why didn't they say something when the tickets were bought??? It is no big deal, I guess, but still.... So my mother (who, as usual, is my "date" to musicals) decided that we would have our own Easter on the 23rd instead.

And, big news, I am going to see "Jersey Boys"!!! grinsmiley My tickets are for a Sunday evening (I can't remember the exact date yet), but I am really looking forward to it!

Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : Broadway anyone? - Page 2 Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Broadway anyone?   Broadway anyone? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 6:05 pm

Hair came here a few months ago. I was going to see it but the tickets were to expensive. I was so angry because I was waiting for 2 years for this show to come here.

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

PostSubject: Re: Broadway anyone?   Broadway anyone? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 3:03 pm

MattLabMyLove wrote:
Hair came here a few months ago. I was going to see it but the tickets were to expensive. I was so angry because I was waiting for 2 years for this show to come here.
Yeah, they were a little more expensive than I expected them to be. It isn't like there is a big elaborate set with special effects (i.e. "The Phantom of the Opera"), but there is a big enough cast. Maybe that is why they weren't that cheap. Who knows?

Hey Amy!
"Mary Poppins" IS coming here. Not until Feb/Mar 2012, but it WILL be here!!! So I will finally be going to see it! In fact, that is the only thing that I will be seeing next season. I seriously do NOT have interest in anything else that is coming. It seems that it is getting to the point that I have seen everything that I have ever wanted to see that they would actually put on tour (my hopes aren't too high for musicals like "They're Playing Our Song"). I am VERY happy about this, though!!!! grinsmiley

Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

PostSubject: I never gave a review about Mary Poppins!   Broadway anyone? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 5:22 pm

I just realized that I never reviewed "Mary Poppins". I saw it in February (I think it was then and not March - now I can't remember exactly Ooops ).

Anyway, I thought it was pretty good. I really liked the set. I liked how it was like a dollhouse. Amy, you would know what I mean, right? It was a good show, but I think my seats took away from everything. I was off to the side and in the third or fourth row. I could see all of the special effects. There weren't a lot, but what there was I could see. And, to be honest, I wasn't overly impressed with the actress playing Mary Poppins. She was OK, but I didn't care for her voice. She had the kind of voice that sounds like it is strained a little. I had a bad habit of sitting there and thinking "You're not Julie Andrews". I know I shouldn't do it, but I couldn't help it. All-in-all, though, I thought it was a very good show.

I also saw a local production earlier this month of the Stephen Sondheim musical "Assassins". Yes, it is about what the title is. Presidential assassins, in fact. I won't go into all the details. It is a show that I have always wanted to see, and I LOVED it! It was so good. Everyone was so good in it, but especially the actor who portrayed John Wilkes Booth! He was great! So that is all that I will say about that one. Smile

I don't have any other shows lined up. There really isn't anything coming that I care to see. And none of the local productions interest me too much. Hopefully the 2013-2014 season will be a little better. It is so frustrating when the theater season is so dull. Or has nothing but shows that I have seen in one way or another.

Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

PostSubject: Re: Broadway anyone?   Broadway anyone? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 6:32 pm

Anyone seen Wicked? I'd like to if the price goes down a bit. I've seen Lion King on Broadway and Phantom, both great shows.
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

PostSubject: Re: Broadway anyone?   Broadway anyone? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 10:57 pm

littlehouselover wrote:
Anyone seen Wicked? I'd like to if the price goes down a bit. I've seen Lion King on Broadway and Phantom, both great shows.
I've seen "Wicked" (and "Phantom" - never saw "The Lion King" - it was between that and "Avenue Q" and that one beat "The Lion King" when I decided to choose just one to see Smile ).

"Wicked" is actually pretty good. It was so much better than I expected it to be. Have you ever read the book? I haven't yet. I own it (bought it at a book sale). I just haven't gotten around to reading it. I guess it is kind of different from the book, but the basic idea of the story is still there. It is coming here again next summer. If I really have the money to waste, I was thinking of treating my mother to it just so she can see the spectacle of it. I think, especially if you can get a discounted ticket - that is always a plus Thumbsup , I would go see it if I were you. It is worth it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broadway anyone?   Broadway anyone? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Broadway anyone?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Little House on the Prairie :: Walnut Grove Community :: Town Gossip-
Jump to: