HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Watch the skies...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!


Number of posts : 52511
Location : Michigan
Mood :

PostSubject: Watch the skies...   Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:01 pm

WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe.

...

I'm interested to hear what this is all about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor


Number of posts : 19957
Location : On my bike!!!
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Watch the skies...   Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:16 pm



Well...it is my older brother's birthday, so it might be him in his true form..... Whistle



CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2016-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savannah
"Psalm 34"



Number of posts : 53815
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Watch the skies...   Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 pm

I was reading about that just a little while ago. Very interesting! In one of the articles I read, there was a quote that I found puzzling, though:

One scientist wrote:
We have always looked for alien life that matches our biology, but now we have found a different life-form that uses arsenic in its basic DNA structure, he said.

I'm completely baffled by that. Why would there be a long-standing presumption that alien life would match our biology? (In the context of the article, that's what he was saying. But maybe he was misquoted.) I'd have presumed pretty much the opposite...that their basic DNA structure would be different than our own, especially since their environment would obviously be quite different than ours. Very odd. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what all comes of this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!


Number of posts : 52511
Location : Michigan
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Watch the skies...   Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:35 pm

That's the basis of the announcement - that they've discovered a microbe in a California lake that thrives on arsenic.

Yeah, I've always been baffled by the assumption that life can only exist in environments that match our own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carol
Adventure Seeker


Number of posts : 8656
Location : California Country
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Watch the skies...   Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:01 pm

Rob wrote:
That's the basis of the announcement - that they've discovered a microbe in a California lake that thrives on arsenic.

Yes... tis here that it lies... lol

Mono Lake, CA Strange land scape from RT Norland on Vimeo.



Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myworldthroughthelens.smugmug.com/
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life


Number of posts : 5178
Location : Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Watch the skies...   Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:09 am

Rhonda wrote:


Well...it is my older brother's birthday, so it might be him in his true form..... Whistle

Rhonda!!!! laugh3 ROTFL

Vanesa.


Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jacintapichimahuida.obolog.com
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time


Number of posts : 13378
Location : Michigan
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Watch the skies...   Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:26 am

Savannah wrote:
I was reading about that just a little while ago. Very interesting! In one of the articles I read, there was a quote that I found puzzling, though:

One scientist wrote:
We have always looked for alien life that matches our biology, but now we have found a different life-form that uses arsenic in its basic DNA structure, he said.

I'm completely baffled by that. Why would there be a long-standing presumption that alien life would match our biology? (In the context of the article, that's what he was saying. But maybe he was misquoted.) I'd have presumed pretty much the opposite...that their basic DNA structure would be different than our own, especially since their environment would obviously be quite different than ours. Very odd. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what all comes of this.



You got me. scratchead That is really odd...almost ridiculous if you ask me! Yikes


Thanks for sharing that video Carol.....that is wild! Did anyone watch the Nasa announcement? This is kinda cool!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life


Number of posts : 5900
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Watch the skies...   Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:01 am

This was a story on our local news this morning. They didn't report any more than what you posted, Rob. I'm also interested in hearing more.


Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Watch the skies...   Today at 7:09 am

Back to top Go down
 
Watch the skies...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» should I watch Mai otome 0 ~S.ifr~ first?
» Ostmark State Officials - the Mordheim City Watch
» Where to Watch Doctor Who
» Anyone going to watch the royal wedding?
» Fallen Skies

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Walnut Grove Community :: Town Gossip-
Jump to: